2 or 3 nights in Chicago Basin?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
baileyadventures
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (2)

2 or 3 nights in Chicago Basin?

Post by baileyadventures »

Hi all. Planning a trip to Chicago Basin to finish my husband's last three 14ers. We are waffling between spending two or three nights back in Chicago Basin. Here's our draft itinerary: Day 1: hike in. Day 2: Windom and Sunlight. Day 3: Eolus and potential hike out or Day 4 hike out.

It looks like the train to Durango doesn't leave until 2:30 p.m. so it gives us a little wiggle room to climb in the morning and hike out, but I also realize that that's a long day. I'd love to hear some thoughts from others on whether to hike out on day 2 or staying a 3rd night and hiking out on day 4.

Thanks!
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: 2 or 3 nights in Chicago Basin?

Post by Conor »

Depends on how you roll and how much time off you have. You'll get the, "it's a special place, take your time". And then you'll also get, "grab your peaks and spend some time around Durango for another day."

It's a personal preference. Not sure on how the train is this year, but I've never heard of them turning anyone away who was waiting to be picked up. Imo, you can make a game time decision.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Conor wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:21 am Not sure on how the train is this year, but I've never heard of them turning anyone away who was waiting to be picked up.
Apparently they do now. Starting this year and due to NFS rules the train is only allowed to pick up or drop off nine groups a day and spaces must be booked in advance. Only one train a day is allowed to pick up or drop off at Needleton as well.

It might not be a problem if there were fewer than nine groups waiting to be picked up, but if there are, it would be a problem. The train wouldn't be allowed to pick you up (unless it were an emergency).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

If you're fast and have a good weather window the peaks can be done in three days with two overnights: approach from Needleton on day one, climb the peaks on day two, deproach back to Needleton on day three.

If you're slower and/or like to take your time and/or don't have a clear weather window, then add another day.

Chicago Basin is worth spending extra time in, even if you finish early. There are other peaks to be done there including Jupiter Mountain and Peak Eighteen as well. And don't forget North Eolus. You said your husband has the other three 14ers left, which I take to mean Eolus/Sunlight/Windom, but North Eolus is a 15 minute hike from the saddle with Eolus itself. It doesn't make much sense to spend all the time, effort, and money going up there and not get North Eolus too. The views from North Eolus were probably my favorite of the Chicago Basin 14ers.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

I didn’t get all 4 peaks in a day, but just spent 2 nights. Day 1 got off the train, went to the basin and set up camp, went straight for the 2 Eolus’, back to camp before dark. Day 2 I did Sunlight and Windom. Day 3 I hiked up to Columbine Pass, then back to camp and straight down to catch the train. Doing all 4 in a day would be a little less work, you’d only have to do the approach to twin lakes once.

If I had it to do again I would have done Jupiter on morning of day 3 before heading back to catch the train.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Scott P wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:42 am
Conor wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:21 am Not sure on how the train is this year, but I've never heard of them turning anyone away who was waiting to be picked up.
Apparently they do now. Starting this year and due to NFS rules the train is only allowed to pick up or drop off nine groups a day and spaces must be booked in advance. Only one train a day is allowed to pick up or drop off at Needleton as well.

It might not be a problem if there were fewer than nine groups waiting to be picked up, but if there are, it would be a problem. The train wouldn't be allowed to pick you up (unless it were an emergency).
The group limitation is only for drop off. I called and asked - pick up outside of the reservation date is based on space available on the train, at the discretion of the conductor. I posed the additional question, is the pick up (not drop off) for wilderness access limited to 9 groups? The answer - no, it is based on space available on the train.
Cereal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cereal »

supra's advice is good. I would say go for longer, just in case the weather is uncooperative. If you end up with extra time, there are some nice side quests, as others have mentioned.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

baileyadventures wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 am Day 1: hike in. Day 2: Windom and Sunlight. Day 3: Eolus and potential hike out or Day 4 hike out.
We are doing this the first week of August with the two night option. I didn't book our train tickets but I wish we had another day in the basin. Weather could be a factor on any day and ruin the whole trip without another day to adjust. With that said all four can be done in a day IF you have good weather and can do it. If you do all four in a day that last day could be spent enjoying the area or climbing something else.

My thoughts since we have three days total ...

Day 1: Train and hike in
Day 2: Windom and Sunlight (If it is a good day do all four)
Day 3: Eolus and North Eolus and hike out/train (very early start)

Whatever you decide have a great time!
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

I'm in the "take you time" group.
It's a beautiful place, enjoy it, if you can spare the time.
The three nights is good plan.
If weather goes bad, you can save a peak for early morning on the last day before hiking out.

Here's my TR https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18064
bradyj
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bradyj »

3 nights. The last thing you want when you are finishing your last 14ers is to be rushed. If you climb on day 2/3 and finish you can spend a relaxing day enjoying the scenery. No rush, no stress. If you finish early on day 3 and want to head out then do it. But you dont want to have to take the train in a second time because you had a weather day or something else. FWIW I did 2 nights and caught an early train.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.