Looking for hiking partner 6/16 - class 3 ridge scramble

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Looking for hiking partner 6/16 - class 3 ridge scramble

Post by BKS »

Are you insecure about having less hair or a smaller table saw
morganEverywhere
Trip Reports (0)

Post by morganEverywhere »

I get that people get a little discouraged with gear lists, but the thing is not a lot of people know what to bring. Merely a suggestion. I love the people's responses saying "have a good hike" or something like that but dang, some elitists on this forum. I guess I'll stay on Facebook since so many rude folks here.
-Morgan Everywhere (they/them) 🏳️‍🌈 🤘
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

Hey, so I think your post is well-intentioned and you don’t realize how it’s coming off. A lot of your requirements are pretty normal, but anyone with the exp to be up on a route like that probably knows what they need. It reads as sort of controlling, and coming from nervousness. You’re right though — I wouldn’t want to be up there with someone who didn’t think to wear layers/bring water either — but it’s not about that.

Just say “looking to do route xyz on X day and want an experienced partner”. Then, when you talk on the phone with some folks, make your assessment. You shouldn’t compromise your safety for the comfort of strangers online, after all. If it weren’t midweek and were later in the year I’d have at least considered trying to link up. Anyway, you seem fine, so go out there and enjoy. Oh, and a more detailed profile may help you find leads. Good luck, and stay safe!
morganEverywhere
Trip Reports (0)

Post by morganEverywhere »

Thanks. I initially posted this on Facebook and clearly stated the type of person I'm looking for in this - someone newish to class 3 stuff looking to expand. It's literally a copy / paste. I've met strangers from this very site though when we got to the trailhead the very first thing out of their mouth was , "does anyone want some LSD?" So yeah, I'm careful AF pre-screening people and making sure I'm clear with the utmost basic requirements. I'm in the process of changing my name IRL and so a new user account on here was legitimately the first thing that I could do, and get it's off-putting without a lot of detail yet. There's no option to change usernames currently on this site.
-Morgan Everywhere (they/them) 🏳️‍🌈 🤘
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

morganEverywhere wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:12 am I've met strangers from this very site though when we got to the trailhead the very first thing out of their mouth was , "does anyone want some LSD?" So yeah, I'm careful AF pre-screening people and making sure I'm clear with the utmost basic requirements.
After that statement at the trailhead, I would have said enjoy your hike. You will not be hiking with me. Good luck and hope you find a good partner to climb with. I have found all my best hiking/climbing partners from this site. I have also been flaked on twice by people who have posted in this thread. It does take time to find the right people, but when you do find them it is totally worth it.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

morganEverywhere wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:12 am Thanks. I initially posted this on Facebook and clearly stated the type of person I'm looking for in this - someone newish to class 3 stuff looking to expand. It's literally a copy / paste. I've met strangers from this very site though when we got to the trailhead the very first thing out of their mouth was , "does anyone want some LSD?" So yeah, I'm careful AF pre-screening people and making sure I'm clear with the utmost basic requirements. I'm in the process of changing my name IRL and so a new user account on here was legitimately the first thing that I could do, and get it's off-putting without a lot of detail yet. There's no option to change usernames currently on this site.
I believe if you send Bill a message, he can change your username. or at least he has done it for people in the past.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

climbingcue wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:27 am I have also been flaked on twice by people who have posted in this thread.
Do you mean the time I elected to sit out early season attempts on Thunder Pyramid and Teakettle during the record snow year of 2019, and you went anyway and your group had an accident?

I wish I could say I never bailed on a climb, but I have (I actually had to bail on a dream climb this past weekend). And that's a good thing....because our hobby is largely self-serving, and sometimes more important things, real life things, come up, and almost always those deserve our attention more than a peak. If it were in my control, I'd never flake on a commitment, but I have a family and people I care about, so it's happened before and it will probably happen again. Just a fact of having people you love that need you sometimes
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

morganEverywhere wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:12 am Thanks. I initially posted this on Facebook and clearly stated the type of person I'm looking for in this - someone newish to class 3 stuff looking to expand. It's literally a copy / paste. I've met strangers from this very site though when we got to the trailhead the very first thing out of their mouth was , "does anyone want some LSD?"
You know where I can find these hikers...asking for a friend.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

To the original poster-- Your thoughts are in the right place with spending some time to evaluate that a climbing partner is the right fit with respect to goals/safety, etc. I think the actual Gear List Requirement in your post (with really specific items) might seem a bit much for some people; even changing the word to 'recommended' from requirement makes it come off less rigid. I couldn't help but get a little laugh out of the specifics (it does show that your level of preparation is good; however a lot of people are going to have slightly different gear lists and that's probably ok too as long as you are each carrying the essentials). Also, as stated by another poster you can evaluate the person on the phone/via text, etc.

I sincerely hope that you find some partners and good luck on the peaks!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 am
climbingcue wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:27 am I have also been flaked on twice by people who have posted in this thread.
Do you mean the time I elected to sit out early season attempts on Thunder Pyramid and Teakettle during the record snow year of 2019, and you went anyway and your group had an accident?

I wish I could say I never bailed on a climb, but I have (I actually had to bail on a dream climb this past weekend). And that's a good thing....because our hobby is largely self-serving, and sometimes more important things, real life things, come up, and almost always those deserve our attention more than a peak. If it were in my control, I'd never flake on a commitment, but I have a family and people I care about, so it's happened before and it will probably happen again. Just a fact of having people you love that need you sometimes
I think it was Cathedral one weekend and then thunder pyramid then next time? It could have been teakettle. I was already driving to the trailhead when your group canceled and never told me I was already 2 hours into the drive. So I had to adapt and overcome, I have done that many times since moving here. I have since found reliable people I can count on. So that does not bother me, just people that flake and don’t communicate.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

climbingcue wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:37 am
yaktoleft13 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 am

I think it was Cathedral one weekend and then thunder pyramid then next time? It could have been teakettle. I was already driving to the trailhead when your group canceled and never told me I was already 2 hours into the drive. So I had to adapt and overcome, I have done that many times since moving here. I have since found reliable people I can count on. So that does not bother me, just people that flake and don’t communicate.
Fair enough. Maybe you just caught me on an unlucky couple of weekends. Flaking is a pet peeve of mine, but unfortunately if you have obligations outside of the mountains, eventually it's inevitable. If there was a failure to communicate promptly with you, I sincerely apologize, as that has happened to me and is frustrating. But I'm glad you've found your people.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I did Mt Helen to Father Dyer traverse and thought it had some class 4 sections even with good route finding, so not sure it's appropriate for beginners just looking to get into class 3. I thought it was a fun scramble.

Secondly, you don't want to carry 5L of water. Definitely have electrolytes if you drink that much, but also that early in the season there will be some snow and creeks. Bring a lightweight water filter instead of carrying the water weight.

Such early start is kinda silly, but maybe it's just me. You can drive a ways up the road if you have 4x4, and you better have light for that.