Colorado "Native"

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Were you born in Colorado?

Born in Colorado and have spent the majority of my life in CO
23%
Born in Colorado but have not spent the majority of my life in CO
2%
Not born in Colorado but have spent the majority of my life in CO
20%
Not born in Colorado and have not spent the majority of my life in CO (yet?)
55%

Total votes: 225
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Colorado "Native"

Post by druid2112 »

TakeMeToYourSummit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:07 am Honestly I'm not a fan of the term "Native" & I'm saying that as someone who was born & who has spent most of my life in in CO. The only real natives are the Native Americans IMO.
For starters, this ^^^^.

Secondly, the whole thing has a disgusting and very familiar (and very Colorado) elitist ring to it, like this place is superior, and the people who live here are superior, and the people who were born and live here are even superior to the other superior people. I guess I just don't understand what the fuss is. So you were born here, so what? It's just a state. Guess what? Everyone's sh*t stinks. This whole attitude is without a doubt my least favorite thing about Colorado.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
OBC13
14ers: 38 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBC13 »

Once I saw this post I knew that there would be a lot of let's say "back and forth." I have to say something though because when you are my age and remember how this state used to be, it is very hard to accept the negative changes that have come with the huge influx of new Coloradans. One thing for sure, whether a native or a transplant (pick another word if you like) most of us really like Colorado and want to have a special tie to the state and not feel excluded. Most new residents seem to try pretty hard to become knowledgeable about the state but many do cling to the culture from where they came. As for the natives, it is really hard to describe to a transplant that what they see as Colorado is quite different from the past. Whenever someone finds out that I am a native (I seldom volunteer it) they almost invariably say "wow you are few and far between" or something like that. I am sick of hearing it even though it is true. To give you an idea where I am coming from, when Colorado's growth really took off in the 1970's a lot of people were seeing the quality of life fall off and were not happy. That seems almost unthinkable now but it was a prevalent opinion of those who grew up here. There was a "Colorado Native Society" organized back then. The native bumper stickers started around that time too. In fairness, those who moved here in the 70's should probably be considered natives now.
OBC13
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:55 pm
osprey wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:53 pm On a slightly related note:
Look up a video “Lives 2 weeks in Colorado...”
by Dude Dad.
Hilarious
After spending the first 19 years of my life in Colorado I had no idea that the things we would do (as depicted in the video) weren't the norm for everyone.
I was more of a Birks+socks guy rather than Chacos, though.

That video is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUrpYKVTsaE
Hilarious video. I love it when two people find they are both Subaru drivers then state how many miles they have on their current or previous cars. Asking how many 14ers one has climbed is so spot on, especially on the top of front range peaks. Although the 13er statement is accurate, it too is cleché. I’d be curious to hear this guy’s real background. It appears that he does live in Colorado.

Century Bound, eventually.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Dan_Suitor wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:30 am
pvnisher wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:55 pm
osprey wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:53 pm On a slightly related note:
Look up a video “Lives 2 weeks in Colorado...”
by Dude Dad.
Hilarious
After spending the first 19 years of my life in Colorado I had no idea that the things we would do (as depicted in the video) weren't the norm for everyone.
I was more of a Birks+socks guy rather than Chacos, though.

That video is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUrpYKVTsaE
Hilarious video. I love it when two people find they are both Subaru drivers then state how many miles they have on their current or previous cars. Asking how many 14ers one has climbed is so spot on, especially on the top of front range peaks. Although the 13er statement is accurate, it too is cleché. I’d be curious to hear this guy’s real background. It appears that he does live in Colorado.

That's a good one. Although, his generalizations are a little outdated. Yeti's/Hydro Flasks have taken over Nalgene's, any respectable beer drinker wouldn't be caught dead with New Belgium (I'd personally drink a Bud Hard Seltzer over anything at NB) and you'd be hard pressed to find a 4th, 5th or 6th Gen Subaru Outback with 300,000 miles on it. But he is right - this state is riddled with ass hats who find silly things to obsess over.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

This whole notion of people from elsewhere tearing stuff up is a bit off, at best if not completely and utterly off. If you look at Bears ears, it's the locals interested in tearing stuff up. Same here locally in E. TX, I don't really trust the locals to preserve anything. I hope Colorado is different but I doubt it. Saw stuff like the 4wd driving up Antero and house next to streams, or just big houses in the middle of nowhere hard to believe it's all out of staters and newcomers. And the private land thing is probably the old timers to a large degree. Causing stuff like Good luck getting to Lily lake TH without clearance for one
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Multi-generation Northern Coloradan here. I hear and see newcomers to the state's frustration. I often wonder if they are considerate to the sensitivities to the multi-generational Coloradans. I moved from my homeland of Northern Colorado to Leadville. I am not a local in this city. I'm a transplant. Although my grandfather was a leader in mining and oil and gas for decades at Amax and my mother helped with the restoration of the city through the Department of the Interior in the 90s, I'm not a local. I try daily to continue proving myself. I'm just one of those yuppy runners here clogging up the lines at Safeway.

What can I do? I try to make this community better through my actions. What can non-Coloradans do?

1. Stop referring to us as Coloradoans. That is a newspaper in Fort Collins. We are Coloradans. It would be like calling a New Yorker a New Yorkerite or a Californian a Californianer or something...
2. I know you love your sports teams. Next to your driving habits, nothing drives us more crazy than you filling up Mile High or Ball or Coors cheering for your old teams. You can go a long way in this state giving those teams in Denver a chance.

1 and 2 are meant to be silly...

3. You can be as liberal or as conservative as you want to be, but this state has always been somewhere in the middle. Boulder or Grand Junction are not what this state is. Look at the unions in Pueblo, the farmers and ranchers fighting for water in Weld County, the teachers scraping by all over the state, and the military in the Springs. We are purple in this state. Get over your crazy far sided ideals from wherever you're from, and meet us in the middle. Great things happening on both sides.
4. You don't have to be on I-70 every weekend to prove you belong. Go volunteer in a marginalized community east of I-25 or off the I-70 corridor every now and then.
5. Stop wasting water...please.
6. Know your history. Read Colorado history. Our history is rich and colorful in mining and farming and ranching and military. It is sad. It is beautiful. It is gray. It isn't easy. Our history isn't the history of Vail Resorts or Boulder electric cars. It is so much more.
7. Be patient. The more you push, the more we dig in. Don't just sit in your like minded pods and complain. Get to know locals and newcomers. Break bread with both. Find a middle ground.
8. Not everybody hikes and bikes and skis and snowboards and runs and is on the water from this state. Don't judge either direction.

9. Watch the original Red Dawn. That's what it was like in the old days in Colorado. Yuppy commies ended up in trenches, we pissed in radiators, and we all fought for the same damn thing: America!

WOLVERINES!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Barf
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Red Dawn?

:lol:
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Barf
On that note, maybe all incoming transplants should be required to watch this before they make the big move.
I was already here when my new CO gf showed me this 11 years ago.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Matt wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:26 am
Barf
On that note, maybe all incoming transplants should be required to watch this before they make the big move.
I was already here when my new CO gf showed me this 11 years ago.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

^^^ Oh my God, they killed Kenny! Bastards!
cshanek
14ers: 58 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (3)

Post by cshanek »

Yeah as a Texan (I know, I know, we have our own problems) who has lived in Colorado for about 10 years, the "native" thing has always cracked me up. I think I even recall reading that the dude who made/invented those stickers ... is not "native". That is why I felt the need to buy one of these (https://www.zazzle.com/colorado_so_your ... 5234488189)