Colorado "Native"

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Were you born in Colorado?

Born in Colorado and have spent the majority of my life in CO
23%
Born in Colorado but have not spent the majority of my life in CO
2%
Not born in Colorado but have spent the majority of my life in CO
20%
Not born in Colorado and have not spent the majority of my life in CO (yet?)
55%

Total votes: 225
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Colorado "Native"

Post by Carl_Healy »

I was born here in Colorado but one thing that I've always been curious about is how so many of my friends make such a big deal about being "native."

Why take such pride in something you have no control over? Take pride in Colorado sure, obviously I'm preaching to the choir here in saying it's a great place, but why take pride simply in the place where your parents happened to be at the time of your birth?
Why be angry at others simply moving here to enjoy the great things that you enjoy?
(although I'm guessing this could devolve into a "tragedy of the commons" debate before too long).

Anyway what proportion of people here are "Native," have been here long enough to be de facto "Natives," have moved here recently, or maybe don't fit in any of these categories?

And for those who have moved here from out of state, have "natives" been welcoming? Or not?
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Colorado "Native"

Post by painless4u2 »

Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

As someone who wasn't even born in the United States but was not eligible for citizenship in the country I was born in (no birthright citizenship) I’ve always found this notion to be extremely bizarre. By this definition, I’m not technically “native” to anywhere. I’ve lived in Colorado much longer than I’ve lived anywhere else though so it’s home to me. That’s all that matters. It seems like there are a lot more “non-natives” out there who regularly recreate in the mountains but I realize my sample size is small. I work with a lot of “natives” but most of my friends who I recreate with are “non-natives.”
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

Wildernessjane wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:40 pm As someone who wasn't even born in the United States but was not eligible for citizenship in the country I was born in (no birthright citizenship) I’ve always found this notion to be extremely bizarre. By this definition, I’m not technically “native” to anywhere. I’ve lived in Colorado much longer than I’ve lived anywhere else though so it’s home to me. That’s all that matters. It seems like there are a lot more “non-natives” out there who regularly recreate in the mountains but that’s my small sample size. I work with a lot of “natives” but most of my friends who I recreate with are “non-natives.”
I'd agree that it seems like you come across a lot more non-natives in the mountains.
I've always had the theory that generally people moving to CO are moving here specifically to take advantage of things like CO's mountains, something plenty of "natives" don't take advantage of. I know plenty of "native" friends and family who I can say are likely never to attempt to summit any CO 14er or 13er.
Kinda like the guy who grew up in Manhattan but never visited the Statue of Liberty.

That's part of the reason I put the poll there. To see if there's any correlation with my theory.

Edit: and yes, as I hope my initial post suggests even the term "native" vs. "non-native" seems a bit strange to me.
Last edited by Carl_Healy on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Moved here in 2005, it has felt like home from day one. I was born in the wrong place (east coast), haha. All "natives" I've met have been good, welcoming people. I think the stereotypical CO native is just that, a stereotype.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

The vast majority of the friends I have in Colorado are not native. This expands across, hiking/climbing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling friends. I look at it this way, just because you are born here does not mean you like the mountains. It is almost guaranteed that if you moved to Colorado you came here for the mountains. That is why I think there is a disproportionate number of out of state people living here enjoying the mountains. I know for me as someone from out of state, Colorado was my only choice. Since I could not live in Switzerland 🇨🇭, the only place I would rather live than here.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I moved to CO in '97 to "start over" and my sister and brother-in-law were stationed here (Schriever AF) so I had a place to stay.
CO became home, and discovered my mountain passion later on, although I hiked and snowshoed in VT before the move.

I have been a nomad for the past 10 years because of my job, but I'm still a (~part time) resident of CO, and it's where I call home.
I'm currently in Scottsdale, but this coming week I will be wishing I was in the CO mountains! 108 today.
117 forecasted by mid-week. And my office is outside, in a UTV or golf cart most of the day!
RETEP 1
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

I was born in Albuquerque and raised all over New Mexico. I never thought I would ever leave but moved here in ‘09, and can’t imagine ever leaving(mainly because it’s too hard to start over). I’ve made a bunch of great friends here though, native and transplant.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

I was about to check the last box but then when I stopped and did the math I was actually surprised to realize that I technically entered category 3 a number of years ago - having now spent roughly 60% of my life in Colorado. I guess I had never bothered to consider it before...

It was my dad's job that brought us here and it's been my job that's kept me here though I've undeniably fallen in love with the mountains. Amongst my circle, most people have seemed to go where they find work - if you've developed any sort of specialized skills you typically don't have the option to just move somewhere because you like the place - there are only X number of places that employ people for task Y and at the time you're in need of a job perhaps only one or two of those locations have an opening. Then you set down roots and if your job is stable and agreeable there's progressively less motivation to rip away and take a chance that a new place would work out as agreeably.

It would sure be nice to have the luxury to just live wherever you liked the most (perhaps I would move to the Swiss Alps, or maybe at least someplace more centrally located to all of Colorado's peaks) but I don't know many (any?) people with that luxury other than maybe people who literally live out of their vehicles and work seasonal odd jobs, but that version of "luxury" comes with significant trade-offs...
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Are dreams real?
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I spent the first 9 years of my life in Redding, CA looking at Mt Shasta and Mt Lassen. I think that made me want to climb mountains, got to climb both at age 15. But didn't make it to CO until I was 35. Have lived more years in Colorado than any other state.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Naive.jpg
Naive.jpg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
Make wilderness less accessible.