Colorado "Native"

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Were you born in Colorado?

Born in Colorado and have spent the majority of my life in CO
23%
Born in Colorado but have not spent the majority of my life in CO
2%
Not born in Colorado but have spent the majority of my life in CO
20%
Not born in Colorado and have not spent the majority of my life in CO (yet?)
55%

Total votes: 225
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Colorado "Native"

Post by Trotter »

Dan_Suitor wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:30 am
pvnisher wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:55 pm
osprey wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:53 pm On a slightly related note:
Look up a video “Lives 2 weeks in Colorado...”
by Dude Dad.
Hilarious
After spending the first 19 years of my life in Colorado I had no idea that the things we would do (as depicted in the video) weren't the norm for everyone.
I was more of a Birks+socks guy rather than Chacos, though.

That video is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUrpYKVTsaE
Hilarious video. I love it when two people find they are both Subaru drivers then state how many miles they have on their current or previous cars. Asking how many 14ers one has climbed is so spot on, especially on the top of front range peaks. Although the 13er statement is accurate, it too is cleché. I’d be curious to hear this guy’s real background. It appears that he does live in Colorado.

Love that video.
"I cant use this nalgene until I've covered it with stickers"
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
COFitnessJenn
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 17 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by COFitnessJenn »

I'm a native and have always loved the outdoors, hiking, etc. Checking off the 14ers was never something anyone focused on, it was more about getting outside and enjoying nature. BUT most of my friends now are from out of state, primarily Texas and California. I don't care where someone is from as long as they aren't rude or condescending. Regardless of where we come from most of us do fun activities outside which isn't all that special or unique these days :wink:
"Go where you feel most alive and never take simple moments in life for granted." "Mountains have a way of dealing with over confidence. Stay humble, despite how many mountains you climb. "
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

dude dad is hilarious. he also moved to CO (recently i believe). been following his videos for a while...
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

Carl_Healy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:28 pm I was born here in Colorado but one thing that I've always been curious about is how so many of my friends make such a big deal about being "native."

Why take such pride in something you have no control over? Take pride in Colorado sure, obviously I'm preaching to the choir here in saying it's a great place, but why take pride simply in the place where your parents happened to be at the time of your birth?
Why be angry at others simply moving here to enjoy the great things that you enjoy?
(although I'm guessing this could devolve into a "tragedy of the commons" debate before too long).

Anyway what proportion of people here are "Native," have been here long enough to be de facto "Natives," have moved here recently, or maybe don't fit in any of these categories?

And for those who have moved here from out of state, have "natives" been welcoming? Or not?
Well, for what it's worth, I'm a third generation native (maternal grandmother and mother were natives). I certainly don't hold it against anybody that they weren't born here. As you mentioned, it's not like anybody has any control over where they were born.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Saw a Colorado flag with "Native" on it, rather than the typical colorado state license plate.

Got me wondering what if you had an American flag with "Native" on it? Does that change the meaning a bit? :wft:
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

pvnisher wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:14 pm Saw a Colorado flag with "Native" on it, rather than the typical colorado state license plate.

Got me wondering what if you had an American flag with "Native" on it? Does that change the meaning a bit? :wft:
Ummm, probably just a tad. Helluva thought though. Which natives would be more native than native EARTHLINGS??
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Not a native but I had over 100 days camping by the time I was 13 and spent a week or two skiing each year since I learned at 3 years old. But I’m an okie.
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

My family moved here in 1980. I left for five years in the 90's. Most natives I know haven't been to the mountains in years, some for decades. Makes no sense to me!!!
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I've been in Colorado since some month in 1973; I was 2 years old, or thereabout. I am a cognizant native. I remember the NATIVE bumper stickers all the way back in the early 1980s; times haven't changed all that much - just more people... always will be more people, better get comfortable with that thought.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i don't understand the "native" obsession. when people ask if i was born here, i usually say "no i wasn't, but i got here as fast as i could!" as if any of us had any choice in the matter of where we were born or raised... sheer "luck" is not an accomplishment.

the best i can say is that i did have a modicum of control over where i chose to settle as soon as i was able to financially support myself. i picked colorado and i'm happy with my choice. that said, i would like to upgrade to "local" status as soon as i hit 10 years in july... was planning to celebrate with a mountain-stream-chilled coors banquet in some random wilderness area, but i guess if it comes down to it, there's certainly a satirical laugh to be had sitting in traffic near the eisenhower tunnel... tbd.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

stephakett wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:11 pm i don't understand the "native" obsession. when people ask if i was born here, i usually say "no i wasn't, but i got here as fast as i could!" as if any of us had any choice in the matter of where we were born or raised... sheer "luck" is not an accomplishment.

the best i can say is that i did have a modicum of control over where i chose to settle as soon as i was able to financially support myself. i picked colorado and i'm happy with my choice. that said, i would like to upgrade to "local" status as soon as i hit 10 years in july... was planning to celebrate with a mountain-stream-chilled coors banquet in some random wilderness area, but i guess if it comes down to it, there's certainly a satirical laugh to be had sitting in traffic near the eisenhower tunnel... tbd.
Love this response 🙂