Colorado "Native"

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Were you born in Colorado?

Born in Colorado and have spent the majority of my life in CO
23%
Born in Colorado but have not spent the majority of my life in CO
2%
Not born in Colorado but have spent the majority of my life in CO
20%
Not born in Colorado and have not spent the majority of my life in CO (yet?)
55%

Total votes: 225
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Colorado "Native"

Post by pvnisher »

osprey wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:53 pm On a slightly related note:
Look up a video “Lives 2 weeks in Colorado...”
by Dude Dad.
Hilarious
After spending the first 19 years of my life in Colorado I had no idea that the things we would do (as depicted in the video) weren't the norm for everyone.
I was more of a Birks+socks guy rather than Chacos, though.

That video is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUrpYKVTsaE
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

I guess technically Option A is accurate. I was born in Colorado and was, as far as the IRS is concerned, a Colorado resident until 2014 (went to graduate school in Idaho, and then worked seasonal jobs in Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming before finally getting a "grown-up" job in Seattle).

So, if I were to move back to Colorado, would I still be considered a native, having been a Washington state resident for 7 years? :-k

Honestly, though, I think probationary "Coloradoan" status is attained when one (pay attention Texans/Californians/Midwesterners) realizes that you don't have to slam on your brakes every time the road slightly curves on a mountain pass and/or drive 10mph under the speed limit.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
morganEverywhere
Trip Reports (0)

Post by morganEverywhere »

One up on most of the people in this state: Not only was I born here, but I'm the 4th generation. My kids are all 5th gen Colorado Natives. 🤘🤘🤘
-Morgan Everywhere (they/them) 🏳️‍🌈 🤘
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

How long can you be away from Colorado before losing your Native status?
Is it simply a "majority" of your life? Supermajority? The formative years? Can you identify as a Native and then get all the benefits conferred upon you, or is it a birthright?
I was born elsewhere but moved to CO before my first birthday and then spent 19 years in CO. I've never claimed "Native" since my birth cert says otherwise. But I identify as a Native.
But now I've been away for a number of years... Does visiting 14ers.com get you a reprieve?
Are these like airline miles and they expire, but if you use them to buy a magazine subscription then you can keep them another year? Is there a Native Magazine or something? Is it like tax law and as long as I have a house and vote then I can retain Native status? Or like property and if you don't use it for 2 out of 5 years then it's a rental?
Or is it like a visa and you can be away, but you have to visit at least 2 weeks a year, and not be away for more than 2 years in any stretch? Are they calendar years, so a visit over New Years can get me a pass for both 2021 and 2022? Or is it just consecutive days?
I'm desperately worried that although I identify as a Native I might be appropriating Native culture.
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Another article about the Glade family bumpersticker business, from Westword two months ago.
https://www.westword.com/news/native-bu ... e-11939228
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

shredthegnar10 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:48 am Honestly, though, I think probationary "Coloradoan" status is attained when one (pay attention Texans/Californians/Midwesterners) realizes that you don't have to slam on your brakes every time the road slightly curves on a mountain pass and/or drive 10mph under the speed limit.
So true, and then on top of that fail to pull over for people that can actually drive. Situational awareness in a completely foreign concept for over 90% off all drivers on the road no matter where they are from. If I am pulling a trailer I regularly pull over to let them pass and not hold people up with my under powered truck.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Colorado 2021 is a great example of "vote like California, become California."
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I used to wear a non-native hat while pushing around my kids in a stroller with a native bumper sticker #sorado
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

John Denver wasn't a born in CO native but sold it well

I feel more matched to this state than other places I've lived, just a third of my life. When I was about four on the east coast, I had a little globe, and asked my parents where we lived, and we put a finger on CO, a little yellow rectangle that stood out. I think the N in United States was over it. And our city was made out to be Long Island (close enough), a tiny green spec, smallest visible thing.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

pvnisher wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:49 am How long can you be away from Colorado before losing your Native status?
That's all up to the council of natives.

Though born and raised in Colorado the five years I spent in California after college certainly put my "native" status in jeopardy.

Luckily I was able to find in C.N.C § 76 that one's native status can be re-affirmed if you shotgun a Coors Light in front of your peers and then manage to flawlessly recite the lyrics to "Rocky Mountain High."

If you're not born here that's a bit trickier. May have to bring that up with the council.
We meet every other Thursday underneath the Denver Mint.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

You don't ever lose "native" status. If you were born here, you're a native. Even if you leave and never come back.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

shredthegnar10 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:48 am <snip>
Honestly, though, I think probationary "Coloradoan" status is attained when one (pay attention Texans/Californians/Midwesterners) realizes that you don't have to slam on your brakes every time the road slightly curves on a mountain pass and/or drive 10mph under the speed limit.
You're deluding yourself if you think the average native CO driver is any better than the average TX/CA/Midwestern transplant.