Mt. Wilson -> El Diente Traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Mt. Wilson -> El Diente Traverse

Post by Wentzl »

I have been back there several times and here is my 2 cents.

This year I am going to go from Rock Of Ages and head down to the N buttress route, which I have not done yet. Traverse to Mt. Wilson (several times) and then down N Slopes (many times). This route is not properly identified in the description on this site. Many people have had difficulty here. The proper route stays high on the ridge between Mt. Wilson and Gladstone Peak before dropping down, almost directly, to the Wilson Glacier. I have asked site administration to correct, but so far no love. It is quite fun when done properly.

Anyway, I think this would be more fun than Kilpacker. The route up the south side of El D is very unpleasant. Lots of lose rock, nothing interesting to see. The descent of Mt. Wilson into Kilpacker Basin is nice, and if there is still some snow in there, can be really fast and fun. So Kilpacker side is a good option, all fun coming after the initial climb up to the El D summit.

I also think my plan makes for the fastest and most efficient way to tackle Wilson Pk, Mt. Wilson and El D in one push.

Anyone interested in hitting the trifecta with me later this summer, hit me up.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Dignus
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Mt. Wilson -> El Diente Traverse

Post by Dignus »

Wentzl wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:22 pm
Anyone interested in hitting the trifecta with me later this summer, hit me up.
I've also been considering doing all three from Rock of Ages. I only have a little class 4 experience but the distance and total gain (16 miles and 7200 vert if my math is right) are well within my abilities for a day. Let me know if you'd like to team up and I can go any weekend from late July to late August.
Verso l'alto
-Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati