Conditions for ovrnght 6/11 @ Dem/Linc/Bros

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lummp
Trip Reports (0)

Conditions for ovrnght 6/11 @ Dem/Linc/Bros

Post by Lummp »

As the title says, I’m looking to do an overnight along the ridge/summit of the Democrat, Lincoln, Bross combo. Drove up to Kite lake yesterday. Windy as hell, but trail look reasonable. Weather for the next couple of days shows no signs after afternoon storms. Anyone been to the summits in the last day or so? Thanks!
Last edited by Lummp on Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
14er101
Trip Reports (0)

Re: conditions for at Democrat/Lincoln tonight 6/11

Post by 14er101 »

The route known as "Decalibron" is closed by the owners, who own the mountains. Please respect the closure and do NOT trespass by attempting to climb the mountain.
Three words to describe mountaineering: Suffer, forget, repeat. Afterall, climbing is just a fancy way of building up a pain tolerance.
Every step you take is one step closer to the top.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Conditions for ovrnght 6/11 @ Dem/Linc/Bros

Post by Aphelion »

To elaborate further, it's a short-term closure while the owners sort out how to protect themselves from new-risen legal liability issues. They've stated that they are happy to re-open it as soon as they find a solution to that, but continued trespass during this interval may make them close it permanently. So please stay off until it gets re-opened (hopefully soon).
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Aphelion wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:35 am To elaborate further, it's a short-term closure while the owners sort out how to protect themselves from new-risen legal liability issues. They've stated that they are happy to re-open it as soon as they find a solution to that, but continued trespass during this interval may make them close it permanently. So please stay off until it gets re-opened (hopefully soon).
This is accurate and an excellent elaboration.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

It is totally permissible to camp at the lake, park at the TH, and hike up to the start of the private, vacant and unused, mining claims, well above 13,000ft.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Ptglhs wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:38 am It is totally permissible to camp at the lake, park at the TH, and hike up to the start of the private, vacant and unused, mining claims, well above 13,000ft.
Unless they opened the closed sections, its not. I haven't heard one way or the other if they reopened.

The parking lot was privately owned.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

It's a Forest Service campground. You could call the ranger district to get the current status. 719 836-2031
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump