Humboldt East Ridge in Summer?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Humboldt East Ridge in Summer?

Post by Mitsugi »

Do people hike the east ridge in the summer? I'm concerned about the road on the west ridge and admittedly don't want the extra mileage having to tackle it from the standard route. Looks like the east ridge has no trail? Is the path finding through the forest I presume a significant challenge? Is the trail advisable in summer without the snow?

How far up the standard west ridge road is a stock Toyota Highlander going to make it? Just trying to gather some info from people who know better than I. Thanks!
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Humboldt East Ridge in Summer?

Post by Carl_Healy »

Roach's description doesn't describe it strictly as a winter only route, but the description here one the .com suggests the West ridge route is preferable in summer.

Having done it back in early March I see it as pretty easy above treeline in summer but it might be a bit annoying below treeline, particularly in terms of route-finding as the .com description suggests.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Carl_Healy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 pm Roach's description doesn't describe it strictly as a winter only route, but the description here one the .com suggests the West ridge route is preferable in summer.
OP- i would advise anyone new to Gerry's route descriptions to really have your "spirit of adventure" about you when you're under his guidance :)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

So I presume you've already noted the guidance given in the route description: "This is a popular winter route because it provides the safest and shortest winter ascent of Humboldt. In summer, the route does not have a trail and plenty of route-finding is required. The standard, west ridge route is recommended in summer."

However, from my winter trek up it with Carl, you basically take the Rainbow trail to the ridge and then follow the ridge up.

Not saying that might not be annoying/confusing in summer (haven't done it in summer) but if you download the GPX tracks and don't mind blundering a bit through the woods it might not be too bad.

I liked that approach a lot better than the standard...
ncxhjhgvbi
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ncxhjhgvbi »

Carl_Healy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 pm but it might be a bit annoying below treeline, particularly in terms of route-finding as the .com description suggests.
I did the East Ridge in late May last year in basically summer conditions. The hardest part was finding the actual turn off from Rainbow Trail - even with the GPX route I ended up turning a little too early. However, I'd say that once you actually get to the top of the mini ridge about 200yards later (10,000') it was pretty easy to follow. There are actually some well-defined trail segments until about 11,000' if I remember correctly. I think this route is getting more popular in late Spring when there may not be snow on the ridge but the basin still requires snowshoes...From there just keep going up and it was relatively straightforward. Once you're at treeline it is quite a beautiful hike.

The biggest challenge is probably on the way down. If you look at topo, there are a number of small eastern ridges to the north that might be easy to mistake for the right one if you stay too far left on descent prior to hitting treeline. I did have to rely on my Gaia app a bit to make sure I was on track and not descending too far right either. The forest on the ridge was pretty open at that time of year (May 23, average snow year) with not much underbrush, but perhaps a lot of underbrush grows in June making it harder...
stephakett wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:21 pm OP- i would advise anyone new to Gerry's route descriptions to really have your "spirit of adventure" about you when you're under his guidance :)
Agree with this for sure - definitely be comfortable with your route finding abilities!
VeraUndertow
14ers: 58  5  7 
13ers: 346 52 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by VeraUndertow »

This route is fine in summer. Much less scenic till you hit the upper ridge and the route finding through the trees isn't that bad till the upper portion. Lower down you stay on the highpoint of the rib with a semi defined trail, which is hard to find the start of but easy to follow once you are on it. You could most likely make it near the start of rainbow trail in your vehicle depending on how much you love 4 wheeling it, but it's not a bad trip from the bottom either.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

If your vehicle can make it to the Rainbow Trail crossing for the start of the east ridge route, it can probably get to the upper trailhead for the west ridge route. The toughest part of that road is before the Rainbow Trail, or at least that was the case a few years ago when I was last up there. (Granted that CO 4WD roads change year-to-year.) East ridge is still shorter, but your vehicle concern may not really apply.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

The TH is the same for both routes.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
pbarn
14ers: 51 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

DeTour wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:04 pm If your vehicle can make it to the Rainbow Trail crossing for the start of the east ridge route, it can probably get to the upper trailhead for the west ridge route. The toughest part of that road is before the Rainbow Trail, or at least that was the case a few years ago when I was last up there. (Granted that CO 4WD roads change year-to-year.) East ridge is still shorter, but your vehicle concern may not really apply.
+1 I drove this a few times last summer and the toughest part is well before the Rainbow TH. If this year is similar to last year, and I expect for most of the obstacles it is, then making it Rainbow means you "should" make it all the way.

Don't underestimate the beauty of South Colony Lakes though. It's a stunning area and a hike through there and up the standard west approach is really amazing.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Same road for both TH. I drove the road on Saturday and as others have mentioned, if you can make it to the Rainbow Trail crossing, you have already done the worst parts of the road.

S Colony Lakes approach is one of the best in CO.
Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mitsugi »

Man, it'll be potentially much longer but maybe the Colony Lakes route is just the better choice due to the beauty of the sights.
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
nedryarson
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 73 3 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by nedryarson »

Why not make a loop of it? Park at Rainbow, up east ridge, down west ridge. Really enjoyed this a few years back. Some nice solitude going up and the beautiful SCL basin scenery on the way down.