Springtime Redcloud Sunshine?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tim Fab
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (1)

Springtime Redcloud Sunshine?

Post by Tim Fab »

Alright, so I've read trip reports for every year I can find late May or Early July and compared the pictures and stories to the SNOTEL of that year vs this year. Given that there was a fast melt, but compared to previous reports, there will clearly be lots of snow on Redcloud/Sunshine. I will be prepared and have snowshoes for the basin and microspikes for the pitches. What I want to know is- are wet slides a big risk there on a 44 degree day? Should I plan on just doing Redcloud over to Sunshine and back? People seem to hate the gully descent of Sunshine, and I was considering just doing it on the way down just by sliding on my butt. However, from what I can tell this spot may just be too damn steep to take lightly in that way, and perhaps could even form a wet slide?

I'm looking to hike these 5/30/21, and I hope someone can let me know what to expect and advise me on the route (ascending the Sunshine gully early so its not too soft to walk up with microspikes and poles vs descending it by glissading/sledding down vs just not doing a loop at all)
cvbuffs
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Springtime Redcloud Sunshine?

Post by cvbuffs »

How were the conditions? I'm planning on hitting them tomorrow from the Redcloud via the NE ridge. Appreciate any feedback on conditions!
Alice_C
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Springtime Redcloud Sunshine?

Post by Alice_C »

Looking for a report or best route for this one! Thanks!