One Day in Telluride! June 12th. Need top solo options with easy road access

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Re: One Day in Telluride! June 12th. Need top solo options with easy road access

Post by jibler »

OK help me out people

what about Hope Lake Road - is that open yet?

now that the weather looks good and things are sort of melting out -- Vermillion Peak is starting to sound like a possiblity?
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
colluvium
14ers: 10 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Re: One Day in Telluride! June 12th. Need top solo options with easy road access

Post by colluvium »

jibler wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:29 am now Mendota would seem like a candidate - if only for stronger views of everything over by Sneffels

those are the most distinct peaks around the area it would seem

dang it - this is fixing to be perfect weather. other than the remaining snow seems like this might be anyone's ballgame
Shoot, if I didn't have to run out to Seattle for a few days, I'd love this excuse to go check it out ... here's what I do know.
Last Tuesday (1 June) I was turned around on my fitness jaunt up the Liberty Bell road (toward Mendota) at 10,800'.
Yesterday I went up the N. face of Sneffels from Blaine Basin (NE couloir), and found deep and inconsistently supportive snow above 11k.
If it were me, with one day, I'd take the Campbell-T0 sure thing. It's a fun climb up the ridge and the views are great from T0; time permitting you can continue on to west Dallas pk. Bushwacking up from the Deep Creek trail will add a little adventure. And, regardless, it'll be a huge relief from the crowds in town.
my $0.02
Either way, let us know how it turns out!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The classic hike is Bridal Veils 1700 feet up the nose of Telluride valley with great views. Its not particularly hard compared to a 14er summit, but a classic hike with amazing views. There are several old mining works along the the way.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Yes this has been a funny pre-hike scouting experience - because between the telluride webcam (which zooms in), google earth, peakfinder and this forum

I have been engaged in serious "view shopping" to determine what gives the best depth of field view of as much of the whole San Juans

that is sort of why I'm narrowing in on mendota - plus i can also bust a little loop out of that by coming down that other trail up that way.

BUT - what if I see a window to hit up Emma from Mendota? Do people do that? Not crossing that St Sophia ridge mind you - just heading down and back up I guess.

3 mile add on - but mendota isn't too long anyway so might be a reasonable add-on?
colluvium
14ers: 10 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colluvium »

jibler wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:03 am

BUT - what if I see a window to hit up Emma from Mendota? Do people do that? Not crossing that St Sophia ridge mind you - just heading down and back up I guess.

3 mile add on - but mendota isn't too long anyway so might be a reasonable add-on?
Mt. Emma would be the main event, Mendota the warm-up. From the Liberty Bell basin it is possible to reach the Mendota-Greenback saddle, which is where the fun starts on the normal summer route up Mt. Emma.
The descent off Emma would require some care after such a long day - typical San Juan choss, ball bearings on exposed ledges, steep loose gullies, hand holds that aren't, etc. The views are great from both.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

OK people - its game day

and weather and smoke are looking like they will cooperate!

final question - has anyone ever just busted up Emma from the south?

or is that just in invitation to an unpleasant scree climb??
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Yes no man should attempt south emma

That's no bueno.

But mendota was sick, all i needed, and rather asskicking taboot

Taking the liberty belle and that other trail back in a loop was genius.

Ironic fact, i had no idea this was bluegrass fest weekend til we got here. Caught some from tomboy road on way down.

Weirdly hot for early june but no smoke!

Thanks for input everyone!!