One Day in Telluride! June 12th. Need top solo options with easy road access

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
colluvium
14ers: 10 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Re: One Day in Telluride! June 12th. Need top solo options with easy road access

Post by colluvium »

question being - does anyone ever take that blade ridge to bang up campbell?
Yep, that's the standard route, off the deep creek trail. Reasonably straightforward, with a short rock step on the ridge that's not as tough as it might appear from below.
ReginaThomas
14ers: 45 
13ers: 99 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: One Day in Telluride! June 12th. Need top solo options with easy road access

Post by ReginaThomas »

Tweedie wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:14 am Tmud,
Thanks for the reply. The precipitation tomorrow and possibly over the weekend may make this interesting. I might go to the Animas River Valley instead, Chicago or vestal maybe. Needle creek and elk creek maybe clear of snow.
I’m not worried about postholing and I’ll have axe and crampons. I just don’t want to camp in the snow.

Elk creek and vestal are definitely still going to have snow. You could probably camp below vestal basin by the beaver ponds and have a dry camp but elk creek is probably raging right now.
Tweedie
14ers: 4 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tweedie »

I was thinking the same thing about Elk, I doubt crossing it is going to happen this early. I’m leaning towards needle creek or maybe back over to Navajo. There is a recent trip report from an El Diente climb and the basin looks good for camping. Might have some snow from today, but should be okay by Saturday.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

OK I am beginning to dial in the major options

Telluride Zero seems like the top one - with Wasatch mountain a solid backup

but maybe - should I be thinking of getting over my peak lust and possibly just checking out cool area? without topping out on anything necessarily?

such as this upper mill creek area west of Mt Emma?

can i bust that out in some kind of dayhike loop?
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
dsr80304
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dsr80304 »

Piggybacking on this, but from a different perspective - need to be out in the area next week and hoping to sneak in a climb-ski day (well, probably night into day).
We'll probably pick up some condition and trip reports from the weekend, but thought I'd check in here. Curious if anyone has any intel on snowlines and how feasible to get something in on say sneffels, mt wilson, gladstone. The webcam is encouraging on the lizard head area, but it's ways away and hard to really tell. And sneffels too far/blocked.
On Sneffels, was thinking the north side (Blaine) access and then maybe good enough snow in NE/NW-facing Snake still?
Any insights appreciated, including if I'm off my rocker. Front Range has had a great late season, but I know the SJ's are well behind on snowpack. Thx!
colluvium
14ers: 10 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colluvium »

jibler wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:30 pm OK I am beginning to dial in the major options

Telluride Zero seems like the top one - with Wasatch mountain a solid backup

but maybe - should I be thinking of getting over my peak lust and possibly just checking out cool area? without topping out on anything necessarily?

such as this upper mill creek area west of Mt Emma?

can i bust that out in some kind of dayhike loop?
Was just up the La Junta trail and can confirm that the lower basin, below Wasatch Mtn., is still loaded with snow above about 10,600'

Campbell/T0 can be done starting from town - Jud Weibe to Deep Creek trail, without getting in the car.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

colluvium wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:14 pm
jibler wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:30 pm

Was just up the La Junta trail and can confirm that the lower basin, below Wasatch Mtn., is still loaded with snow above about 10,600'

Campbell/T0 can be done starting from town - Jud Weibe to Deep Creek trail, without getting in the car.
shoot - i already had my doubts about this one anyway. thanks for the heads up.

I was already feeling like I could get back there a ways likely - but seemingly would no matter what encounter some kind of crazy creek crossing when I tried to get over to the wasatch side of that river.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

jibler wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:40 pm
colluvium wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:14 pm
jibler wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:30 pm

shoot - i already had my doubts about this one anyway. thanks for the heads up.

I was already feeling like I could get back there a ways likely - but seemingly would no matter what encounter some kind of crazy creek crossing when I tried to get over to the wasatch side of that river.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I did Campbell/T0 last Thursday, 5/27. Parked at Eider Creek TH which is about half way up Mill Creek Rd. I think I may have used microspikes from the saddle to T0 summit, but you could probably get by without them. It's dry from the TH to Campbell. There is one or two very easy class 3 moves to get over the small tower on the ridge to Campbell. Very easy hike other than the fact it is a lot vertical gain. I ended up at 8.95 miles and 5,537 feet. I estimated 7 hours and it ended up taking 7h 52m. I'm still in early season shape, not hitting/exceeding my marks yet.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

thanks yes it would seem campbell telluride zero is a top top contender now

especially since if weather turns I can hopefully at least pull down campbell 1st

that's some kind of fall back plan
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

but

just to keep the drama levels up in this thread

there's a big part of me saying "no - wasatch seems to be melting out fast and heading up that canyon to get there sounds cooler"
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

now Mendota would seem like a candidate - if only for stronger views of everything over by Sneffels

those are the most distinct peaks around the area it would seem

dang it - this is fixing to be perfect weather. other than the remaining snow seems like this might be anyone's ballgame