Crestone Needle/Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ladnerkm
14ers: 58  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Crestone Needle/Peak

Post by ladnerkm »

I will be hiking to South Colony on Sat Jun 12 to camp and then ascend the Needle and Peak on Sun Jun 13. Would love to team up with one or more people if anyone is interested. Message me if you are.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Crestone Needle/Peak

Post by Scott P »

Traverse?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ladnerkm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ladnerkm »

I wasn’t planning the traverse was just going to ascend separately from broken hand pass but if conditions are decent would consider the traverse
marksilas
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 426 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marksilas »

You will probably have to deal with snow going up to Broken Hand Pass, as it is north facing. Might want to take microspikes and an axe.
mspin99
14ers: 53 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mspin99 »

I was planning on the same trip (both peak and needle in 1 day -- most likely not doing the traverse), but early/mid July, if you have flexibility in moving it back.
ladnerkm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ladnerkm »

Marksilas: Yeah, I figure there will still be a snowfield and will have my snow gear.

MSpin99: Was planning to do Little Bear or Capitol mid July if interested
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

ladnerkm wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:39 am MSpin99: Was planning to do Little Bear or Capitol mid July if interested
Personally, I would suggest switching your Little Bear and Crestones dates since you mention that you have snow climbing equipment.

Little Bear sucks once the snow melts off. Dry conditions can be an advantage on the Crestones.

This is just a suggestion though.
mspin99
14ers: 53 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mspin99 »

ladnerkm: Let me know if you plan on Capitol mid-July. Wasn't planning on Capitol this year, but potentially would be interested as I'd rather not do that one solo. Attempting Little Bear 8/23 with someone I met on the site...feel free to join us if you'd like.
Shawn Ironman
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shawn Ironman »

I will be doing South Colony Lakes on the 1st of June shooting for a Crestone Peak summit on the 2nd
seaguirre85
Trip Reports (0)

Post by seaguirre85 »

Will you take ropes?
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Scott P wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:18 am
ladnerkm wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:39 am MSpin99: Was planning to do Little Bear or Capitol mid July if interested
Little Bear sucks once the snow melts off. Dry conditions can be an advantage on the Crestones.
Little Bear never sucks.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:49 pm Little Bear never sucks.
I thought it sucked without the snow. Not challenging in a technical sense, but a huge pain in the a**.

What could be the only really interesting part of the climb (Hourglass) is tainted by the fact that rockfall makes it hard to enjoy since you can't spend time I the only interesting part.

I would assume that it's much prettier and fun with snow on it.