Snow and 14ers?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JustinCrounse
Trip Reports (0)

Snow and 14ers?

Post by JustinCrounse »

Hello. My friend and I are eager to get out and climb. We want to do as many 14ers as we can this summer and are trying to figure out a way to do some in May. Are there any that would be realistic without snow gear before June? If not, any recommendations on what to buy to climb. Would crampons be enough?
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Snow and 14ers?

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Keep an eye on the conditions page. It is your best friend this time of the year. You'll likely be able to do Quandary and Bierstadt with just spikes. Looks like there's another foot or so of new snow coming, but those peaks (especially Quandary) get tracked out quick. You still might have to deal with minimal postholing in a few short sections though. Early starts help alleviate this. Crampons would be overkill.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

If you need crampons you need to know wtf you're doing.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

pvnisher wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:35 am If you need crampons you need to know wtf you're doing.
Gotta start somewhere. How did you figure out wtf you’re doing?
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

If I'm carrying crampons then I'm also carrying an ice axe. Others may not, but I'm always reluctant to venture onto steep snow without a way to stop sliding if I happen to get started.
Where ever you are... There you are.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

JChitwood wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:16 pm
pvnisher wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:35 am If you need crampons you need to know wtf you're doing.
Internet research is a start. Books, class, guide. Practice safe area.

I've seen people put crampons on, for the first time ever, in a pretty precarious area. That's not the time to figure it out.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Best place to start is on a gentle snowslope in a safe area with minimal consequence if you slip (i.e. not above any rock piles, cliffs, ice sheets etc.). RMNP has a few spots for this, or the lower reaches of a mountain nearby. Get used to basic walking up and down the snow, trying not to catch your opposite pant leg, french technique, duck walk, turning, etc. Once you're comfortable on a gentle slope, increase the steepness to practice on, again being mindful of the minimizing the consequence of slipping. Add in ice axe use, walking with an axe, and the 4 basic self arrest moves and you'll be off to a good start to tackle some easier peaks in snow. You can practice yourself or with an experienced partner, or hire a guide for basic snow travel skills or do a one day snow mountaineering course. One note, if you plan on glissading, remove your crampons or spikes...
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

JustinCrounse wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:18 pm ...If not, any recommendations on what to buy to climb. Would crampons be enough?
Sorry, I missed your question:

...Grivel, Petzl, CAMP and Black Diamond all make both lower end basic 10pt crampons as well as more aggressive longer forged steel models for ice climbing. You can get buy with basic 10-12 point steel crampons from any of them.
I like the hybrid models (which have a strap in front and clip in back) or if you boots support them, two clip models, but if you use these you need boots with a rear welt or rear and front welts to hold them. If you don't have a mountaineering boot, just get the full strapped version which should fit most other hiking/mountaineering boots. Aluminum versions are available and are lighter if that's your chief concern, but are more expensive and less durable. They are ok for pure snow where no mixed terrain with dull them faster. I've broken an aluminum point where I've never broken a steel point on a steel crampon.

Some people only use a microspike type traction and they do have their place on many hikes and trail running and are cheaper at $50-$60, but on the vast majority of mountains personally I'll opt for a real crampon vs. spikes. Am sure someone will chime in and say spikes are all you need, to each is own. I got my mom a pair of microspikes for walking on the sidewalk in winter, they are ideal for that.

For an axe, if you ask 10 people you'll probably get as many answers. The same brands above make axes. For most snow climbs on the standard routes, a traditionally longer shafted axe is generally preferred, 66cm-75cm depending on your height and other factors, arm length, hand to ankle length, etc..(they are sold by and measured in cm not inches). Some like to go to 55-58cm in a semi technical axe if steeper terrain is expected. Any decent mountaineering shop will help make sure you get the right one.

You can buy both used if they are not too worn out and dull, otherwise get them new. You can usually get some discount to get these...Full retail of ~$100-$175 for crampons, $50-$175 for an axe.

If you are planning on doing more peaks in snow, then get better quality gear. If you only see yourself doing 1-2 snow climbs on easier peaks and then you'll never use the stuff again, maybe you can rent the gear from REI, but get some training in their use first.
14er101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14er101 »

If you need to buy crampons you need to already have an idea of what to do. I hit Elbert today and all you needed was some warm(ish) layers, hiking poles, and snowshoes (which provide traction and flotation)
Three words to describe mountaineering: Suffer, forget, repeat. Afterall, climbing is just a fancy way of building up a pain tolerance.
Every step you take is one step closer to the top.
davisrice4
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 99 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davisrice4 »

by doing things and it feeling like this ](*,)
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

St Mary's has some great spots to both hurl your body down the slope to practice self-arrest and to practice climbing in crampons.

It's really not that difficult. Just takes a little familiarity with technique/gear and occasional practice. If you plan to be on truly firm, steep slopes, might be worth learning how to place pickets too.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring