Masks in the Mountains

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Will you wear a mask on your next 14er ascent?

Yes. I will wear 2 masks until told otherwise.
2%
Yes. My mask shows that I care for your health.
8%
Yes. I don't know up from down, but it is important to signal virtue.
2%
Maybe, depends on what the person in front of me is doing.
8%
No. My face is too pretty to hide.
7%
No. The mask thing is so 2020.
3%
No. I read the science and masks outside are absurd.
64%
No. I voted for Trump and I don't think he would approve.
6%

Total votes: 173
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Masks in the Mountains

Post by ker0uac »

crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:31 pm
rijaca wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:28 pm
Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:14 pm
Right now, in 70 degree weather I can go to Wash Park and see people running, fricken RUNNING, in masks. Outside, and likely fully vaccinated. That is the effect the fear mongering has had. I can find little children there playing outdoor sports masked up as well. Again, a result of fear. None of these actions are based in science, or ever have been. Its complete paranoia, and it was put into their minds to be this scared and irrational from somewhere.
Interesting, I've ridden both GM and BCLP in the past two weeks, I don't recall more than handful of peeps total wearing masks. I've driven by the local park where grade school kids have baseball practice and don't recall them wearing masks. I live a block from a grade school, and I never see those kids outside (recess, lunch) with a mask on. Not a lot of fear and paranoia on my side of town.
I'd love to trade places with you.

Here in boulder, I haven't gone a day in over a year without seeing MULTIPLE people walking/jogging/biking alone every day I leave the house. The other day I counted 4 cyclists in a 10 minute span that pulled their mask up for the 0.25 seconds we passed each other on the bike path with the sun shining and a closing speed of 30mph+
In Los Angeles, people wear a mask to hike, drive, walk their dogs, and possibly sleep and have sex too. Except, of course, when you are eating at a restaurant or airplane.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:31 pm
rijaca wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:28 pm
Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:14 pm
Right now, in 70 degree weather I can go to Wash Park and see people running, fricken RUNNING, in masks. Outside, and likely fully vaccinated. That is the effect the fear mongering has had. I can find little children there playing outdoor sports masked up as well. Again, a result of fear. None of these actions are based in science, or ever have been. Its complete paranoia, and it was put into their minds to be this scared and irrational from somewhere.
Interesting, I've ridden both GM and BCLP in the past two weeks, I don't recall more than handful of peeps total wearing masks. I've driven by the local park where grade school kids have baseball practice and don't recall them wearing masks. I live a block from a grade school, and I never see those kids outside (recess, lunch) with a mask on. Not a lot of fear and paranoia on my side of town.
I'd love to trade places with you.

Here in boulder, I haven't gone a day in over a year without seeing MULTIPLE people walking/jogging/biking alone every day I leave the house. The other day I counted 4 cyclists in a 10 minute span that pulled their mask up for the 0.25 seconds we passed each other on the bike path with the sun shining and a closing speed of 30mph+
I just don't understand why you get all worked up because others are wearing a mask outdoors. Are they giving you $hit for not wearing one? Are you giving them $hit for wearing one?

I'll wear one when when I'm indoors and its required by the business. I'll wear one when it's required by my employer. It's not a big deal. I'm required to wear pants when I'm in public. Damn Gov't.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

rijaca wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:41 pm I just don't understand why you get all worked up because others are wearing a mask outdoors. Are they giving you $hit for not wearing one? Are you giving them $hit for wearing one?

I'll wear one when when I'm indoors and its required by the business. I'll wear one when it's required by my employer. It's not a big deal. I'm required to wear pants when I'm in public. Damn Gov't.
I don't care if people want to double mask forever, but whenever I see people acting irrationally everywhere, it makes me lose hope that this bulls**t will ever go away. The onslaught of irrationality is just too strong.

It was only just last week that I could finally enjoy my gym mask-free. For the past year, it's been self-waterboarding if I wanted to work out indoors outside my basement. I just want my life back. I want all of the "laws but not laws because aCkTuaLly" to go away and then I won't care how many masks people wear.

I just want people to leave me alone and let me choose my own risk.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

XterraRob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 pm
Dave B wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:28 amThen there are people who exist somewhere between the two bonkers extremes you present. It is possible to have confidence in the government in some cases but not others. Thinking the government seized on an opportunity to social engineer via masks and social distancing during a literal pandemic is fanatical and insane.

"submissiveness" lol
Look what happened post 9/11 with the institution of costly & wasteful Forever Wars, endless talk of WMDs, Patriot Acts I & II, Ra-Ra Freedom Fries!, and the disparagement of foreigners for the sake of foreign policy.

And you trust these people?

Here's your clown nose:
Those were elected officials pushing those actions, this conversation is about blasting non-elected employees at federal agencies tasked with public health. Please tell me you're capable of understanding the difference? Otherwise we need to start criticizing Iraq and Afghanistan veterans for those wars as well.
Last edited by Dave B on Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make wilderness less accessible.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

uh, that's not how public health works, crossfitter.
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:47 pm
rijaca wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:41 pm I just don't understand why you get all worked up because others are wearing a mask outdoors. Are they giving you $hit for not wearing one? Are you giving them $hit for wearing one?

I don't care if people want to double mask forever, but whenever I see people acting irrationally everywhere, it makes me lose hope that this bulls**t will ever go away. The onslaught of irrationality is just too strong.

It was only just last week that I could finally enjoy my gym mask-free. For the past year, it's been self-waterboarding if I wanted to work out indoors outside my basement. I just want my life back. I want all of the "laws but not laws because aCkTuaLly" to go away and then I won't care how many masks people wear.

I just want people to leave me alone and let me choose my own risk.
https://kdvr.com/news/coronavirus/cdc-t ... k-wearing/

Here you go.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

crossfitter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:47 pm I just want my life back.
Me too. But that ain't happening.

I hope that you never develop a life threatening disease or suffer a debilitating accident. I don't think you'll handle it well.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Dave B wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:55 pmThose were elected officials pushing those actions, this conversation is about blasting non-elected employees at federal agencies tasked with public health. Please tell me you're capable of understanding the difference? Otherwise we need to start criticizing Iraq and Afghanistan veterans for those wars as well.
Hell, good ol' Bob Mueller, head of the FBI at the time, told our Legislature that he believed Iraq had WMDs to help sell the war effort. The State Department was on board, everyone had a job to sell it. These, all non-elected government officials.

And the media was just as complicit, was it not a mainstream phenomenon? What were the highlight/news reels like? We can revisit that.

Don't think the government won't leverage all of its power & influence when it wants to move in a certain direction, that's disrespectful to history.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Rollie Free wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:53 am
SkaredShtles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:31 am
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 am
I'm shocked you believe this. Wow
I'm shocked you're shocked. CF is a moran. :mrgreen:
Ewww, never call someone a moron but if you do don't misspell it. (;
I didn't misspell anything. And I take umbrage at your accusation that I did. :evil: :mrgreen:
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

the social engineering comment aged poorly, but im sure some other excuse will be made instead of admitting they were wrong
cvd.JPG
cvd.JPG (120.5 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:10 pm the social engineering comment aged poorly, but im sure some other excuse will be made instead of admitting they were wrong
cvd.JPG
Better late than never. They could have (and should have) made this decision months ago. Giving people "permission" to take their masks off outside is a year overdue.

My "excuse" is that they probably received sufficient [and well deserved] public backlash to the stupid stoplight infographic from a couple weeks back. Similar to how most people laughed at them when the double mask recommendation came out.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

"The announcement comes as the CDC and the Biden administration have faced pressure to ease restrictions on fully vaccinated people — people who are two weeks past their last required COVID-19 vaccine dose — in part to highlight the benefits of getting the shot. The country's aggressive vaccination campaign has paid off: U.S. virus cases are at their lowest rate since September, deaths are at their lowest point since last April and the test positivity rate is at the lowest point since the pandemic began."

BUT....

"Just two weeks ago, the CDC recommended that fully vaccinated people continue to wear masks indoors in all settings and outdoors in large crowds."

AND...

Biden appeared to acknowledge that his administration had to do more to model the benefits of vaccination. “I would like to say that we have fully vaccinated people; we should start acting like it,” Utah Gov. Spencer Cox, a Republican, told Biden. “And that’s a big motivation get the unvaccinated to want to to get vaccinated.” “Good point,” Biden responded. He added, “We’re going to be moving on that in the next little bit.”

THANK YOU UTAH!!

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... g-77669337
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion