Early season hikes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Early season hikes?

Post by climbingcue »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:03 am
montanahiker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:34 pm How did it look off the east side of the ridge down to the lakes? I want to start at either Chinns or Lomond and get the Bancroft-Parry-Eva group but imagine it might be a while before that clears up.
I did a car to car with another member in sept of 2019. Picked them up at Saint Mary's semi permanent snow field and drove to Berthoud pass. We hiked Flora, Eva, Parry, Bancroft, and James. Saw 3 people on Flora and a couple dozen on the way down from James. No one on the peaks in the middle. It's a pretty mellow hike, but not much of a trail between Flora and James. It's the Continental Divide, but the CDT goes over Flora, drops off to the east, then goes over James without touching the 3 peaks in the middle. There are cairns and use segments, so clearly enough people have done it. Google maps shows a trail over the peaks, but the signage (and the physical trail) head East from flora to the lakes.

I've also done Flora in April (of 19) and the alpine sections were mostly snow free, even in a historic snow year.
We also did it as a car shuttle.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4404536420
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
kilgoretrout
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kilgoretrout »

Looks like I'll be heading out mid May. Saw a YouTube of somebody doing Bierstadt in the snow around mid to late may and there are several others on the trail. I'm wondering if I can plan on that as an option well as Flora and the ridge up there. Avalanche possibility?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

kilgoretrout wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:30 pm Looks like I'll be heading out mid May. Saw a YouTube of somebody doing Bierstadt in the snow around mid to late may and there are several others on the trail. I'm wondering if I can plan on that as an option well as Flora and the ridge up there. Avalanche possibility?
Bierstadt has very low avalanche risk on its standard route. It's also one of the most climbed 14ers (and probably the 2nd easieat winter 14er). There will be people in May, and some of the snow after the closure will be melted. Bring traction and flotation, and a complete change of clothes to be left in your car; melting snow, mud puddles, may showers, and sweat all lead to a very wet hiker.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

+1 on the recommendations for hikes from the top of loveland pass, hiking the mt. evans and trail ridge roads. Although, trail ridge is probably covered in snow for a while. It is normally plowed by Memorial day.
FWIW, I hiked Humbolt last May 18th. There was no snow at all until just below the scl area, then no snow up the west ridge to the summit.
This year there may be even less snow as it has been a relatively dry winter.
Twin sisters across from longs is a wonderful hike, and should be quite snow free soon.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

kilgoretrout wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:30 pm Looks like I'll be heading out mid May. Saw a YouTube of somebody doing Bierstadt in the snow around mid to late may and there are several others on the trail. I'm wondering if I can plan on that as an option well as Flora and the ridge up there. Avalanche possibility?
Check the conditions reports, but you should be fine without snowshoes on Bierstadt mid may.

Also look up Sniktau, Cupid, and Grizzly D
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

For mid May 14ers just be prepared for awful post holing for any 14er for the portion of the route below treeline. A lot of that can be minimized if you start very early and get back to trailhead by late morning. Bierstadt in my opinion is an awful choice for mid May. The post hole nightmare coming back across the willows is real.
kilgoretrout
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kilgoretrout »

Looks like a lot of rain and lightning in the forecast around the front range in the days I took off work. I was hoping to avoid that :(