Running a peak: What it takes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Running a peak: What it takes

Post by RETEP 1 »

Peak crushers and the “other” thread got me thinking. Can we get a runner checkbox Bill?😂 For those few of us who care (and those who don’t), what are your requirements. I’ll finish running all the 14ers this summer and would hate for the non FKT types to call me out...only cause the real elites could give a rip...
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Running a peak: What it takes

Post by justiner »

Running a peak takes a lot a walking.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

justiner wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:33 am Running a peak takes a lot a walking.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
Unless you’re Matt Carpenter. Or a few others.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Community, hikeneers, newbies, lists. Think I got most of the major buzzwords in. Avoiding a serious reply as this seems like a circle jerk post. :-D
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Your cadence must never drop below 120 SPM.
Stopping is only acceptable to refill water.
Bathroom breaks must be taken mid stride.
You cannot carry more than 6 of the 10 essentials.
If you use trekking poles, you cannot use the straps.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

And you must not stop running when passing others, even as you blast down Grays on a summer Saturday.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Quad strength
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

jmanner wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:38 pm Quad strength
Stable ankles. I stopped running peaks after rolling an ankle. Too dangerous.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:30 pm And you must not stop running when passing others, even as you blast down Grays on a summer Saturday.
Real runners go before or after work on a week day. Everyone knows this.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

bergsteigen wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:42 pm Stable ankles. I stopped running peaks after rolling an ankle. Too dangerous.
lol
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

justiner wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:45 pm
bergsteigen wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:42 pm Stable ankles. I stopped running peaks after rolling an ankle. Too dangerous.
lol
Last time I rolled my ankle all the way, I broke my leg. :shock: :cry:
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

bergsteigen wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:00 pm
justiner wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:45 pm
lol
Last time I rolled my ankle all the way, I broke my leg. :shock: :cry:
Ya...I’m not very fast downhill at all! I ran IPR and kept up with Bryon Powell all the way to the pass but dude blew me away downhill. I never had a chance but gotta protect those ankles😂