Running a peak: What it takes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
madbuck
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Running a peak: What it takes

Post by madbuck » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 pm

LarryM wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 pm
Of course I’m sure I’ll get a number of “LOL Strava users” type comments. Point is, among people who consider themselves trail runners, the standards for a mountain run are much more lax than most of the responses
I’m with you, Larry, and it’s simple enough for me to just go with whatever a person calls it themselves. For competitive purposes, the focus is on the total time or pace, and getting it done quickly. It’d be weird for a person to call their own walk a run if it was almost all walking, but weirder still for another person to question it or care.

I guess a general issue is that it still useful to describe how ‘runnable’ a peak or route is. We kind of generally ‘know’ which routes (including off-trail) are more ‘runnable’ than others, but sources like trailrunproject are a bit more formal with “XX% runnable” instead of the Class 1-5 system for the crux.