Conundrum Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Conundrum Couloir

Post by cottonmountaineering »

D1– Easy low angled terrain such as beginner run at ski resort.

D4 – Similar to an easier "Expert" run at a resort. Slope angles usually around 30 degrees.

D5 – Similar to an "Expert" run at a resort, steeper (35 degree range) or more terrain obstacles than previous rating.

D12 Conundrum Couloir
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Come to think of it, that line is steep enough that I would expect my snowboarding partners to carry an axe on the descent. Stay safe.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:40 pm D1– Easy low angled terrain such as beginner run at ski resort.

D4 – Similar to an easier "Expert" run at a resort. Slope angles usually around 30 degrees.

D5 – Similar to an "Expert" run at a resort, steeper (35 degree range) or more terrain obstacles than previous rating.

D12 Conundrum Couloir
At least it doesn't dog leg. There's a chance he'll be able to just slide down the whole thing without getting hurt
I thought, I taught, I wrought
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

k_fergie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:46 pm
cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:40 pm D1– Easy low angled terrain such as beginner run at ski resort.

D12 Conundrum Couloir
At least it doesn't dog leg. There's a chance he'll be able to just slide down the whole thing without getting hurt
if he mess up a turn on a 50 degree slope, he gonna be goin about 60mph down it.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:50 pm
k_fergie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:46 pm
cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:40 pm ...
if he mess up a turn on a 50 degree slope, he gonna be goin about 60mph down it.
Hence the word choice of chance :wink:
I thought, I taught, I wrought
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Sometime around 2008, I was headed up Castle when I saw a couple of guys skiing Conundrum Couloir. I stopped to watch - I couldn't believe how fast they were moving. When they hit the bottom, I realized they weren't skiing; they were falling. My buddy and I hiked out and found some people with an ATV. We told them what happened and they went for help. From what I recall, we found out later that one of the guys who had fallen walked out with help but the other guy had to be carried out. I want to say they were on this forum, because they asked my friend for the pictures he'd taken of them falling. I can't remember all the details. If they're still on here, they could probably tell you how steep that thing is. I've never climbed it.
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:09 am I’m scared... in other words POWDER DAY BABY!
You go, boy.
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

All kidding aside, anyone who's been doing this awhile has lost friends in the mountains. And we all wish we'd said something. Sometimes the loss was due to negligence, or arrogance, or bad decision making. Sometimes it was purely an accident. But regardless of why those people were injured or killed, everyone around them feels guilty - as if we could have prevented it somehow. So understand where this is coming from. No one's trying to tell you what to do. We've just been here before and we're doing our best to prevent another bad outcome.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

^^^
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

d_baker wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:34 pm However, if you prefer some snark from your biggest fanboy, let me know because I am fully loaded and ready. Lol
nope, right now he's looking for his misplaced humility. look, squirrel!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

susanjoypaul wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:16 am All kidding aside, anyone who's been doing this awhile has lost friends in the mountains. And we all wish we'd said something. Sometimes the loss was due to negligence, or arrogance, or bad decision making. Sometimes it was purely an accident. But regardless of why those people were injured or killed, everyone around them feels guilty - as if we could have prevented it somehow. So understand where this is coming from. No one's trying to tell you what to do. We've just been here before and we're doing our best to prevent another bad outcome.
I’ve said something, and lost friends. Not sorry I said something. Rather have them alive and pissed at me, than not.

Conundrum Couloir is a great ski - *IF* snow conditions, weather, skills, mental preparedness and partners line up. If these don’t, you’re gonna have a bad day. Period.

Patience is the hardest part of ski mountaineering.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

bergsteigen wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:02 am Patience is the hardest part of ski mountaineering.
This. When the big lines are “safe”, they aren’t always fun. When the big lines have good snow, they aren’t typically safe. Then you get those rare days when safe good snow conditions line up on your big objective, and those are the days you remember forever. You might get about one, maybe two of them a year, if you’re lucky. Set your expectations low, pay close attention to weather, snowpack, etc. Choose terrain, aspects wisely based on that. With enough trial/error, you eventually start getting it right. But it’s not a matter of progressing fast with skills that gets you there, in fact, that has very little to do with it. Plenty of amazing skiers/riders out there who rarely get to have those perfect days in the mountains.