Conundrum Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Trotter
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 195 2 12
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Conundrum Couloir

Post by Trotter »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:16 pm

Thank you, and with all due respect. Trying to stay humble here if possible, but I’ve had hiking partners tell me it’d take 5 years where I’ve gotten in 2 months.
Were they talking about your ability to piss people off on the forums? If so, I agree. You are a natural. =D>
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Dave B
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

LOL, dipshit's hubris meets reality on a <checks notes> ...bunny slope? Jesus f*cking christ, what a tard.
Last edited by Dave B on Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make wilderness less accessible.
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

Dave B wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:58 am LOL, dipshit hubris meets reality on a bunny slope? Jesus f*cking christ, what a tard.
Good morning, yes I suffered acromioclavicular joint separation. Sorry to disappoint [-(
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Dave B
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:04 am
Dave B wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:58 am LOL, dipshit hubris meets reality on a bunny slope? Jesus f*cking christ, what a tard.
Good morning, yes I suffered acromioclavicular joint separation. Sorry to disappoint [-(
What do you want, sympathy?

Also, I edited my response after you quoted me, would you mind updating that, I think it's much funnier after the edit.
Make wilderness less accessible.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58 2
13ers: 87 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Again, all kidding aside, but if you really are dealing with depression, get some help. Some of us who have lost friends in the mountains have also lost friends to that ailment. Sounds like you're taking a little break from the mountains so now would be a great time to deal with it. Since you've been to the ER and are in the "system," they can probably point you to someone. Would be a very brave thing to do.
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

susanjoypaul wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:11 am Again, all kidding aside, but if you really are dealing with depression, get some help. Some of us who have lost friends in the mountains have also lost friends to that ailment. Sounds like you're taking a little break from the mountains so now would be a great time to deal with it. Since you've been to the ER and are in the "system," they can probably point you to someone. Would be a very brave thing to do.
Thanks for the kind thoughts Susan. We all have our demons to overcome, I hope I can do that sooner than later. I also smoke way too much and drink more than I should.

AL
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58 2
13ers: 87 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:18 am We all have our demons to overcome, I hope I can do that sooner than later. I also smoke way too much and drink more than I should.
I think you can beat all that. You just might need some help. I drank to blacking out pretty much every night for 14 years and smoked for 35 years - as much as two packs a day for a lot of years. No depression (yet). I'm probably the slowest hiker in Colorado, and I don't ski or snowboard at all. If someone like me can tackle those demons, you definitely can too.

Good luck, and take care of that shoulder.
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

🙏 I have a monarch day pass that I’m wanting to give away to someone in the Denver area. PM me if you want a free ticket to monarch ski resort.

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
ekalina
14ers: 14 1
13ers: 28 3

Post by ekalina »

Alec, sorry that you got hurt. I wish you a speedy recovery.
jmanner
14ers: 58 26 10
13ers: 48 10 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
Sorry about your injury, skiing has a fair amount of injury risk.

Shameless TR post.

FYI: I had been BC skiing a while when I did conundrum and it freaked me out a little skiing it alone(without another skier). Also, a good reminder that hikers, "walkers", and skiers do not mix well.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
AnnaG22
14ers: 58 7 20
13ers: 114 3 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:40 pm D1– Easy low angled terrain such as beginner run at ski resort.

D4 – Similar to an easier "Expert" run at a resort. Slope angles usually around 30 degrees.

D5 – Similar to an "Expert" run at a resort, steeper (35 degree range) or more terrain obstacles than previous rating.

D12 Conundrum Couloir
I do have a much lower risk tolerance than a lot of folks, but I don't tire of emphasizing that I am a strong in-bounds skier who loves resort expert terrain and 40-50 degree slopes, but I stick firmly to blue-equivalent terrain in the backcountry. Probably max out around D7, which is how bergsteigen ranks Castle's north couloir, and that ski really got my attention...I skied it, but realized I had a lot to improve to feel comfortable on that kind of backcountry terrain. (That said, she says Peak 10 4th of July bowl is D7 too, and I loved that, so maybe skiing in shorts makes me braver).

Long story short: we're all different, but the advice these folks are offering is well-intentioned with experience to back it up. They're not saying you can't do it, they're just offering perspective and insight, for which you did ask.

EDIT: sorry to hear about your shoulder. Once it heals, I promise D2-D4 grade backcountry turns are super fun. It's amazing what unlimited pow can do to compensate for mellower slopes.
Last edited by AnnaG22 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
jmanner
14ers: 58 26 10
13ers: 48 10 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

AnnaG22 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:50 pm
cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:40 pm D1– Easy low angled terrain such as beginner run at ski resort.

D4 – Similar to an easier "Expert" run at a resort. Slope angles usually around 30 degrees.

D5 – Similar to an "Expert" run at a resort, steeper (35 degree range) or more terrain obstacles than previous rating.

D12 Conundrum Couloir
I do have a much lower risk tolerance than a lot of folks, but I don't tire of emphasizing that I am a strong in-bounds skier who loves resort expert terrain and 40-50 degree slopes, but I stick firmly to blue-equivalent terrain in the backcountry. Probably max out around D7, which is how bergsteigen ranks Castle's north couloir, and that ski really got my attention...I skied it, but realized I had a lot to improve to feel comfortable on that kind of backcountry terrain. (That said, she says Peak 10 4th of July bowl is D7 too, and I loved that, so maybe skiing in shorts makes me braver).

Long story short: we're all different, but the advice these folks are offering is well-intentioned with experience to back it up. They're not saying you can't do it, they're just offering perspective and insight, for which you did ask.
Annaliese, the snow is soooo much different. No one is out there controlling the terrain or chopping up the snow to make consistent. BC snow can be a mix of breaking crust, winter powder, corn and hard sastrugi all in the same run. unfortunetly, skiing groomers doesnt help you be a good skier "off piste". A good BC ski doesn't ski as well nor is the boot as stiff. You have to be much lighter on your skis otherwise you'll break your leg. Being a good ski mountaineer requires skill, but also a fair amount of fitness, a lot of folks don't want to do the uphill work and cross fitness to make it happen. Anyway thats a rant, unrelated to CaptCO's shoulder injury.

Edit: It occurs to me that only Lodgling actually knows that he's talking about when it comes to skiing Conundrum. Just observing...
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage