Conundrum Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Conundrum Couloir

Post by CaptCO »

Safety will be my #1 priority, next to having fun. Thanks all who shared valuable information in messages.
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
aholle88
14ers: 57 20 23
13ers: 177 17 4
Trip Reports (11)

Post by aholle88 »

I climbed Conundrum col in June of my first year snowboarding steeper backcountry lines (includ. DD), and said heck no to going down. To echo Bill’s comments, it’s quite a bit steeper and not a place I wanted to be even on decent corn. I ended up riding Castle’s N col that day which was very pleasant descent. That late in the year, was able to drive up pretty high and not have an agonizing approach for just 1000ft of climbing/skiing which was a nice bonus.

Start mellow, work your way up to the big stuff. My first year, I rode easier terrain like Quandary’s bowls, Sherman, Cristo, then up to the lavender on sneff, Lindsey N col, la plata N col. All that was dandy and a good progression, was never really puckered at all. Ended up on DD late season in good corn, absolutely terrifying for the first couple of turns but then once I knew I could do it, wasn’t too bad. I think Conundrum was the week after that and I still wasn’t ready. Just to give you an idea of what it’s like. The next year, worked up to steeper and steeper, eventually doing Drift’s NW face and Torrey’s east face (both of which were pretty daunting making the first few turns). Now, I don’t even care about those types of lines. It’s funny, I was talking with a buddy whose done all kinds of crazy in the BC as well and we both are in the same boat. We did those lines, we know we can do them, and we really don’t have any desire to do stuff like that again. It’s just unnecessary risk when you can ski more fun (type 1 fun) lines without as much of that risk factor (I.e. stuff like La plata N col, quandary N col, any of the routes on Torreys besides the east face, etc).
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

aholle88 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:11 pm I climbed Conundrum col in June of my first year snowboarding steeper backcountry lines (includ. DD), and said heck no to going down. To echo Bill’s comments, it’s quite a bit steeper and not a place I wanted to be even on decent corn. I ended up riding Castle’s N col that day which was very pleasant descent. That late in the year, was able to drive up pretty high and not have an agonizing approach for just 1000ft of climbing/skiing which was a nice bonus.

Start mellow, work your way up to the big stuff. My first year, I rode easier terrain like Quandary’s bowls, Sherman, Cristo, then up to the lavender on sneff, Lindsey N col, la plata N col. All that was dandy and a good progression, was never really puckered at all. Ended up on DD late season in good corn, absolutely terrifying for the first couple of turns but then once I knew I could do it, wasn’t too bad. I think Conundrum was the week after that and I still wasn’t ready. Just to give you an idea of what it’s like. The next year, worked up to steeper and steeper, eventually doing Drift’s NW face and Torrey’s east face (both of which were pretty daunting making the first few turns). Now, I don’t even care about those types of lines. It’s funny, I was talking with a buddy whose done all kinds of crazy in the BC as well and we both are in the same boat. We did those lines, we know we can do them, and we really don’t have any desire to do stuff like that again. It’s just unnecessary risk when you can ski more fun (type 1 fun) lines without as much of that risk factor (I.e. stuff like La plata N col, quandary N col, any of the routes on Torreys besides the east face, etc).
Thank you, and with all due respect. Trying to stay humble here if possible, but I’ve had hiking partners tell me it’d take 5 years where I’ve gotten in 2 months.
Attachments
9BD3CE82-8E6C-4F1D-87F2-65452C817739.jpeg
9BD3CE82-8E6C-4F1D-87F2-65452C817739.jpeg (190.87 KiB) Viewed 586 times
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
d_baker
14ers: 58 15
13ers: 284 9
Trip Reports (57)

Post by d_baker »

Are those same partners boarders that saw you in action in your ~2 months of experience?
Have you ridden with anyone that has experience in the mountains on ski's or a board?
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

d_baker wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:23 pm Are those same partners boarders that saw you in action in your ~2 months of experience?
Have you ridden with anyone that has experience in the mountains on ski's or a board?
Feel free to let this thread die, I’ll let you guys know if I get spooked off of conundrum or find a good ride 🏂

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
d_baker
Trip Reports (57)

Post by d_baker »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:26 pm
d_baker wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:23 pm Are those same partners boarders that saw you in action in your ~2 months of experience?
Feel free to let this thread die, I’ll let you guys know if I get spooked off of conundrum or find a good ride 🏂
I was only asking a couple of questions.
They seem to me legitimate questions, and when I had more experienced partners, sometimes mentors, their feedback on what they saw of my abilities and or skill was good medicine.
d_baker
Trip Reports (57)

Post by d_baker »

However, if you prefer some snark from your biggest fanboy, let me know because I am fully loaded and ready. Lol
aholle88
14ers: 57 20 23
13ers: 177 17 4
Trip Reports (11)

Post by aholle88 »

d_baker wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:32 pm
They seem to me legitimate questions, and when I had more experienced partners, sometimes mentors, their feedback on what they saw of my abilities and or skill was good medicine.
Schralping the gnar with his balls out is clearly more important than responding to legitimate questions or listening to first hand advise from someone that was in a similar position some years back (at least as far as motivation goes). I do miss those days, but damn I’m glad I’m still alive!
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58 7 18
13ers: 169 33 28

Post by cottonmountaineering »

D1– Easy low angled terrain such as beginner run at ski resort.

D4 – Similar to an easier "Expert" run at a resort. Slope angles usually around 30 degrees.

D5 – Similar to an "Expert" run at a resort, steeper (35 degree range) or more terrain obstacles than previous rating.

D12 Conundrum Couloir
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

d_baker wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:32 pm
Yes Darin, I also hope I never stop learning. Maybe one day I’ll see ya out there. Very excited for this Spring season /thread

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
lodgling
14ers: 58 57 2
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (11)

Post by lodgling »

Come to think of it, that line is steep enough that I would expect my snowboarding partners to carry an axe on the descent. Stay safe.
k_fergie
14ers: 58 2
13ers: 41 8 1

Post by k_fergie »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:40 pm D1– Easy low angled terrain such as beginner run at ski resort.

D4 – Similar to an easier "Expert" run at a resort. Slope angles usually around 30 degrees.

D5 – Similar to an "Expert" run at a resort, steeper (35 degree range) or more terrain obstacles than previous rating.

D12 Conundrum Couloir
At least it doesn't dog leg. There's a chance he'll be able to just slide down the whole thing without getting hurt
I thought, I taught, I wrought