Peak Bagging Lists, "The More Bizarre, the Better"

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alrightmax
14ers: 29 
13ers: 72 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Peak Bagging Lists, "The More Bizarre, the Better"

Post by Alrightmax »

My partner and I have often mused about climbing all the "haystack" iterations. Someday, I will figure out the loj interface and make a list (is something I've been telling myself for years).
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Alrightmax wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:57 pm My partner and I have often mused about climbing all the "haystack" iterations. Someday, I will figure out the loj interface and make a list (is something I've been telling myself for years).
On the front page where it says "Search by State" just select the state or select All. Then type in whatever you're looking for:

Haystacks in Colorado
https://listsofjohn.com/searchres?texts ... e&State=CO

Haystacks in All States
https://listsofjohn.com/searchres?texts ... State=all
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

espressoself wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:05 am Out of further curiosity, I looked into some other favorites:
Red Mountain - 166, 19 of which are in CO.
Sheep Mountain - 129, 34 of which are in CO.
Brushy something-or-other: 169, but only 3 in CO.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

XterraRob wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:38 am I'm sure if you put all of your writings together, you'd have a great book to publish Gore Galore.
Would rival Scott P's 2021 Goals list.

(couldn't resist, Scott)

And agreed, always interesting stuff from GG.
johnt
14ers: 33 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (2)

Post by johnt »

On Oct. 31, 2003 I did Pikes Peak via Barr Trail. At Barr Camp a man came in wearing overalls. He brought fresh tomatoes for the caretakers to use in their spaghetti. He told us several times how much weight he was carrying today and how much he usually carried. He always brought tomatoes. I believe he said that he summited Pikes multiple times a week and was in the multiple hundreds (300-500 if memory serves) at that time, but had only been doing it a couple of years.

I’ve thought of him often since then, but never have inquired here to see if anyone knows his story. Is he still doing it? How many summits does he have? Is he still taking tomatoes to Barr Camp?

I really enjoyed talking with him. He was quite an inspiration.

Does anyone know him, or about him?
Last edited by johnt on Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

johnt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:27 pm On Oct. 31, 2003 I did Pikes Peak via Barr Trail. At Barr Camp a man came in wearing overalls. He brought fresh tomatoes for the caretakers to use in their spaghetti. I would guess that he was fairly high functioning on the Autism spectrum, telling us several times how much weight he was carrying today and how much he usually carried. He always brought tomatoes. I believe he said that he summited Pikes multiple times a week and was in the multiple hundreds (300-500 if memory serves) at that time, but had only been doing it a couple of years.

I’ve thought of him often since then, but never have inquired here to see if anyone knows his story. Is he still doing it? How many summits does he have? Is he still taking tomatoes to Barr Camp?

Craig Burbank.

https://gazette.com/life/70-mile-days-5 ... 246b1.html
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

d_baker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm
johnt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:27 pm On Oct. 31, 2003 I did Pikes Peak via Barr Trail. At Barr Camp a man came in wearing overalls. He brought fresh tomatoes for the caretakers to use in their spaghetti. I would guess that he was fairly high functioning on the Autism spectrum, telling us several times how much weight he was carrying today and how much he usually carried. He always brought tomatoes. I believe he said that he summited Pikes multiple times a week and was in the multiple hundreds (300-500 if memory serves) at that time, but had only been doing it a couple of years.

Craig Burbank.

https://gazette.com/life/70-mile-days-5 ... 246b1.html
That guy is my hero.
johnt
14ers: 33 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (2)

Post by johnt »

Great to learn more about him! Thank you.