Peakbagging along the CDT

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Collinoa000
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Peakbagging along the CDT

Post by Collinoa000 »

I appreciate all of you guys feed back, I think y’all are right and I should do the 14ers a different time and not while in CDT, thank you anyway for the information that will still be valuable for the normal route and thank you for the constructive criticism
Notbaggingpeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Notbaggingpeaks »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:56 pm We could care less about your single summit as well lol 🤡

Are you just desperate for attention or something?
Notbaggingpeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Notbaggingpeaks »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:17 am
Notbaggingpeaks wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:15 am
CaptCO wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:56 pm We could care less about your single summit as well lol 🤡

How did you know?! We can keep playing this game, or you can stay quiet and accomplish your own goals! :) freaks
Can we both promise to stay quiet? I'll jump if you jump Jack.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Notbaggingpeaks wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:15 am

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20366662
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Is this the CT or the CDT in CO?
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:26 am Is this the CT or the CDT in CO?
Based on the route through southern and northern Colorado, I'm pretty sure it's the CDT, and the OP just focused on the Colorado section of it here. As I mentioned in my post on the last page though, it would make more sense to try to add most of these 14ers onto a CT itinerary rather than the CDT.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Collinoa000
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Collinoa000 »

4thPlaceAtFieldDay wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:04 am
Based on the route through southern and northern Colorado, I'm pretty sure it's the CDT, and the OP just focused on the Colorado section of it here. As I mentioned in my post on the last page though, it would make more sense to try to add most of these 14ers onto a CT itinerary rather than the CDT.
This was Idea for CDT, more of a thought experiment and not sure if I should attempt it or not when I do the CDT
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Collinoa000 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:21 am
4thPlaceAtFieldDay wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:04 am
This was Idea for CDT, more of a thought experiment and not sure if I should attempt it or not when I do the CDT
Even if you decide not to do the longer 14er routes off the trail, there are still many peaks near the trail where it would make sense to drop a back and hike a quick side trip to the summit. Some are only a couple of minutes off the trail. For example this 12er: https://listsofjohn.com/peak/959

Others may be a mile or so off the trail but still a quick side trip and well worth the effort like South River Peak: https://listsofjohn.com/peak/657

There are plenty of other examples along the way of peaks that could range from a few minutes to maybe an hour round trip that would be interesting to add on along the way, take the back pack off, make the short walk, have a snack and keep going on the trail.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Totally tangential at this point, but I ran with the idea of what the Continental Divide ridge hike would look like in the Sawatch:

https://justinsimoni.com/2021/02/20/fut ... e-sawatch/

I'm totally into it. The crux is I think the Three Apostle traverse, and maybe the ridge between Oklahoma and a point on Massive. If you do all the 14ers/Cents "near" the CD, it becomes the ridge to Huron, which you would need to do twice. Nice tower on that ridge:

https://listsofjohn.com/trimg/356.jpg
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

justiner wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:44 pm the ridge between Oklahoma and a point on Massive.
The ridge between Oklahoma and North Massive is fun! Good rock, Class 3. The crux is short, stiff Class 3 to very easy Class 4. Probably a bit easier going from O to NM as you are upclimbing the crux. I enjoyed this traverse more than the Apostle traverse.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Yeah it's super good. OklaMassive Mania!
oorg
14ers: 58 
13ers: 23 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oorg »

Wowzers... that's a lofty goal, my friend. You'd better be spending the better part of your day for the next two years training to get into this kind of shape! With that being said, go freaking do it man! I'll be rooting for you. Save up some cash and spend your next couple summers in Colorado roughing it out of a car. You'll learn a lot about what your body can do spending 3-4 months doing nothing but climbing peaks. This site will give you plenty of opportunities to meet people to tackle peaks with and gain the experience you'll need for such an endeavor. You can do it - but you better want it badly!

Cheers!

Cory