Masks required at RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Masks required at RMNP

Post by Scott P »

To clarify, only indoors and where you can't social distance on a trail. Once you aren't next to a person, you don't have to keep it on.
When you are near other people though, you need to keep it on .
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:55 pm “Single track trails will be required” - sounds like Longs peak to me
Yes, but only when you can't social distance (i.e. within six feet of a person).
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Here comes the fitta and the itsonlytheflu posse.

460K and counting.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:57 pm You win, I lose Scott.
No, just clarifying since I had a discussion with some NPS rangers and the press release wasn't that clear. They should have been more clear.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

As another clarification, it's for all federal lands including National Forest and even the BLM, not just RMNP. Check it out:

https://www.blm.gov/press-release/burea ... -buildings

I think it's a good time to do some of the less popular routes. :wink:

PS, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just pointing out what the mandates are.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Just following the science.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:58 pm Here comes the fitta and the itsonlytheflu posse.

460K and counting.
I'm old enough to remember back in March when we all agreed things were necessary to prevent a total collapse of the healthcare system, and agreed to flatten the curve. If you recall, flatten the curve meant "everyone who is going to get sick is going to get sick, we're just going to spread the same number of infections out over a manageable period of time". Meanwhile, the goal was to ramp up PPE, expand hospital capacity, and hopefully improve therapeutics.

Somehow this has morphed into the clusterfuck monstrosity of today where we have all of the above. You can buy an N95 today. You can buy 100 if you want. The mask thing was supposed to be a stopgap until actual effective masks were available, which they are. We built the hospital capacity up, and promptly dismantled all the field hospitals because they weren't being used. Anyone remember the USS Comfort? We got way better at treating it, we have multiple vaccines far sooner and far more effective than anyone dreamed.

So what the f**k are we doing, exactly?

We saved the hospitals, you can buy the spacesuit and wear 7 N95s if you want. You can stay home and work from home forever if it so pleases you. Cases have been declining for a month or more. Why are we doing more stupid bulls**t that hasn't shown to be any more effective than doing nothing anywhere? Meanwhile, we have record high levels of alcoholism, depression, anxiety, economic despair. The cure is much, much, much worse than disease. But we keep doing this because people have been deluded into thinking corona is the only problem that exists anymore.

Here's an idea: if you don't want to get sick, stay home. Last I checked, National Parks were not essential businesses. Please leave the rest of us alone and let us have our lives back.
Last edited by crossfitter on Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

askwjs
13ers: 66 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by askwjs »

I am sure that there will plenty of law enforcement hiding at strategic points on trails to hand out citations. Bet they are hiring extra rangers for the summits of Quandary and Bierstadt to enforce masks and social distancing :lol:
hansolo35
14ers: 42  3 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by hansolo35 »

crossfitter wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:24 pm
highpilgrim wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:58 pm Here comes the fitta and the itsonlytheflu posse.

460K and counting.
I'm old enough to remember back in March when we all agreed things were necessary to prevent a total collapse of the healthcare system, and agreed to flatten the curve. If you recall, flatten the curve meant "everyone who is going to get sick is going to get sick, we're just going to spread the same number of infections out over a manageable period of time". Meanwhile, the goal was to ramp up PPE, expand hospital capacity, and hopefully improve therapeutics.

Somehow this has morphed into the clusterfuck monstrosity of today where we have all of the above. You can buy an N95 today. You can buy 100 if you want. The mask thing was supposed to be a stopgap until actual effective masks were available, which they are. We built the hospital capacity up, and promptly dismantled all the field hospitals because they weren't being used. Anyone remember the USS Comfort? We got way better at treating it, we have multiple vaccines far sooner and far more effective than anyone dreamed.

So what the f**k are we doing, exactly?

We saved the hospitals, you can buy the spacesuit and wear 7 N95s if you want. You can stay home and work from home forever if it so pleases you. Cases have been declining for a month or more. Why are we doing more stupid bulls**t that hasn't shown to be any more effective than doing nothing anywhere? Meanwhile, we have record high levels of alcoholism, depression, anxiety, economic despair. The cure is much, much, much worse than disease. But we keep doing this because people have been deluded into thinking corona is the only problem that exists anymore.

Here's an idea: if you don't want to get sick, stay home. Last I checked, National Parks were not essential businesses. Please leave the rest of us alone and let us have our lives back.
stop it...you're making too many valid points and talking too much sense for the majority of the general population to process....
MichelleLW
14ers: 58  3  5 
13ers: 41 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MichelleLW »

hansolo35 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:39 pm
stop it...you're making too many valid points and talking too much sense for the majority of the general population to process....
I mean...that's just not how it works. Those who want to stay home likely are. However, grocery shopping, various errands, etc are unavoidable - just ask my mom how difficult it has been to try to keep my grandmother with COPD reasonably isolated (I know, I know, old people etc etc). And if people are going out and spreading at "non-essential" places, the amount of exposure at essential places is much increased.

I'm open to conversations about the level of spread at any given time (falling as you note), where the strain is on hospitals, and what the realistic risk is on trails. But the concept of high risk people "just shouldn't go there" is garbage. What is done in those places impacts the risk in places that are unavoidable.

Edit: nice strategy opening this thread on a powder day. It'll definitely take Bill longer to kill it.
Last edited by MichelleLW on Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

MichelleLW wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:06 pm
hansolo35 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:39 pm
I mean...that's just not how it works. Those who want to stay home likely are. However, grocery shopping, various errands, etc are unavoidable - just ask my mom how difficult it has been to try to keep my grandmother with COPD reasonably isolated (I know, I know, old people etc etc). And if people are going out and spreading at "non-essential" places, the amount of exposure at essential places is much increased.

I'm open to conversations about the level of spread at any given time (falling as you note), where the strain is on hospitals, and what the realistic risk is on trails. But the concept of high risk people "just shouldn't go there" is garbage. What is done in those places impacts the risk in places that are unavoidable.
Just let me know when I can take off the mask
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

MichelleLW wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:06 pm

Edit: nice strategy opening this thread on a powder day. It'll definitely take Bill longer to kill it.
There are very, very, very few things where you absolutely can't avoid other people. You can order your groceries for curbside delivery, you can order from amazon basically anything you want. It is 100% possible to avoid human contact for extended periods of time. Lots of internet basement dwellers have proved this time and time again. My parents have turned into complete doomsday bunker dwellers and have demonstrated this strategy first hand. For those extremely limited scenarios where you have to go out, that's what real masks are for. If you wear an actual, effective filtration mask that is designed to protect you, what does it matter what others are doing? There is a reason healthcare providers use N95s and goggles to work with actual sick patients. If you show up to the hospital, which is ground zero for corona, you're going to risk exposure regardless of how many cases are out in the wild. So buckle up, wear your PPE, and take responsibility to reduce your exposure on your own time, like not visiting national parks if you're worried about it. Instead, we have accepted this dystopian hellhole concept where I have to remake my life because someone else doesn't want to stay home and accept that the pandemic is gonna kinda suck for people who can't afford to get sick.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack