Moral of the Story from hikes and climbs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Moral of the Story from hikes and climbs

Post by cougar »

Shroom Tech supplements are better than PowerBar, they are the morel of the understory
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:04 am Moral of the story: Power Bars taste worse than dirty socks and dirty underwear.
but their wrappers make decent loincloths.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
oorg
14ers: 58 
13ers: 23 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oorg »

Thankfully, I have never had the displeasure of experiencing a Power Bar.

However, I did have a good learning experience on Mt. Lindsey. We ascended the ridge and got up a bit too high. We were definitely off route and came across an exposed, class 4 downclimb that I wasn't super comfortable with. I had my coat tied around my waist, as I'd done many times. As I was downclimbing, it caught on a rock and tugged me an awkward direction. Luckily, I had 3 solid points of contact and nothing happened, but I couldn't help but think how badly that had gone if my scrambling was more sloppy and it caused me to lose my grip and tumble down a couple hundred feet. I took a couple minutes to reflect how dumb it was for my coat to be dangling, ready to snag any rock and rip me off the mountain.

My moral of the story: Don't have any loose, dangling items on your person when you're attempting exposed class 3+ moved.

Cory
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

PowerBars bring back memories of triathlons in the 1980’s when it was hip to smash them on your top tube. They were terrible but you often got them free since they sponsored races. When Clif Bars came out they were still terrible but WAY better than PowerBars.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

It has been quite some time since I actually ate a Powerbar, but the mylar-like wrappers make pretty good boots if you tear a sidewall in your MTB tire. So there's that, I guess.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Re: PowerBars... thank God Gu/gels came along.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

was hiking in RMNL last summer, trying to bag Chapin, Chiquita and Ypsilon in one go. got to the saddle between Chapin and Chiquita, and it was the windiest I've ever experienced. half of my group decided to turn back, but me and a friend decided to try to get at least the summit of Chiquita. we got to the summit successfully, and wanted to continue on but ultimately turned around to go back. on the way down, my favorite baseball cap blew off my head and off the mountain. to this day, I still miss that hat.

Moral of the story: it's good to turn around in the middle of your journey when things becomes to crazy, but sometimes it's better to not go on the journey in the first place. (this metaphorical journey is from the Chapin-Chiquita saddle onward)
Hiking when possible
oldmanforest
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldmanforest »

".... and THAT's why I ALWAYS take an immodium before a big hike".
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

Everyone needs to find out what works for them.
Powerbars never bothered me. But I stopped using them as a main source of energy while hiking.

I've only had a Gatorade loose bowel syndrome once and I lightened up on it in my Camelbak.

Going low carb has had its challenges but it can be done with things from Quest, Atkins and low carb tortillas.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

oldmanforest wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 am ".... and THAT's why I ALWAYS take an immodium before a big hike".
+1 on the above. Even if it is nothing more than a psychological effect for my somewhat odd mind, I always feel a little safer with imodium.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

oorg wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:20 pm Thankfully, I have never had the displeasure of experiencing a Power Bar.

However, I did have a good learning experience on Mt. Lindsey. We ascended the ridge and got up a bit too high. We were definitely off route and came across an exposed, class 4 downclimb that I wasn't super comfortable with. I had my coat tied around my waist, as I'd done many times. As I was downclimbing, it caught on a rock and tugged me an awkward direction. Luckily, I had 3 solid points of contact and nothing happened, but I couldn't help but think how badly that had gone if my scrambling was more sloppy and it caused me to lose my grip and tumble down a couple hundred feet. I took a couple minutes to reflect how dumb it was for my coat to be dangling, ready to snag any rock and rip me off the mountain.

My moral of the story: Don't have any loose, dangling items on your person when you're attempting exposed class 3+ moved.

For some reason this inspired ne to share that when I was rappelling one time, a good chunk of my hair got caught in my rappel device. It just tore a bunch of hair out and all was well.
It coud have really sucked if more hair was caught and it actually impeded my ability to continue.
My moral of the story: tie my hair in a pony tail. Eventually it was all cut and it is no longer an issue.