Weather at 14k in august

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jama224
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Weather at 14k in august

Post by Jama224 »

I am from KY and planning a trip to Leadville in august. We went last year in early august and the weather at 14k was starting to change (sleet, some snow), but nothing on the ground. Our schedules line up to where it might be the last week or two of august this year. Do the peaks typically have snow coverage before September? Not used to hiking on those conditions so I am trying to plan my trip before typical snowfall on the mountains. Thanks!
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Weather at 14k in august

Post by teamdonkey »

Typically August, even the last two weeks, is fine. Snow is possible but unlikely. Planning it 9 months in advance there will always be some uncertainty but you should be ok.

Early snow also might not be a deal-breaker for you. My (limited) understanding is the first round of snow doesn't create a lot of avalanche danger, that comes later in the season when you've got a few layers that don't play nicely with each other. So while you would want to avoid the actual storm (hiking in a whiteout isn't a great idea), you might still be able to get out there a few days after.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

It can snow any month of the year at 14K in Colorado. But you don't have to worry about it happening and screwing up your trip, at least in August. It would just make it more memorable and fun...

It would melt out quickly and just give you a good story to tell about conquering the snowy peaks. :lol:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Jama224
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jama224 »

Awesome, thank you all for the info. Looking forward to another trip
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

Jama224 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:37 am I am from KY and planning a trip to Leadville in august. We went last year in early august and the weather at 14k was starting to change (sleet, some snow), but nothing on the ground. Our schedules line up to where it might be the last week or two of august this year. Do the peaks typically have snow coverage before September? Not used to hiking on those conditions so I am trying to plan my trip before typical snowfall on the mountains. Thanks!
Probably stating the obvious here, but the real weather concerns for late August remain afternoon thunderstorms as they are for all CO mountains in the summer. So still go for the early start.

Though I expect if you've been in CO in the summer you probably already know this.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Short answer is nobody knows 8 months out, or even 3 weeks out for that matter.
This was taken Aug 17 2008 on Holy Cross when we climbed in snow from the trailhead then.

If that's the only week you can go, plan your trip as usual and have a couple of different options - 1., your "ideal" option(s) if weather is great, then 2., a plan B option(s) for mountains to do if weather is not so great or snowy etc or even an option 3. if weather is completely bad, do something else entirely.
If it snows, it doesn't necessarily ruin your trip, but you might find routefinding more challenging if there is a whiteout and/or if there is no trail or so choose a more straightforward peak that has a marked route to the top. You may want some extra clothing as well.

What you don't want to happen is start up a mountain with expectations of summer weather bringing summer-only gear and then run into bad weather requiring additional gear, so watch the weather accordingly in the week leading up to your climb and bring the added gear in case you need it (insulation, shell, warmer gloves, hat, etc). The added weight of those four items are maybe a couple pounds at most but can mean the difference between a happy successful summit and a miserable outing where you turned around.

August snow on a 14er in CO typically won't last too long and will likely be unconsolidated so an axe is likely less helpful (again can't hurt to bring one depending on what you're doing), but some form of traction might be helpful in those sections that are packed snow over boulders or steeper slopes as would trekking poles.
Attachments
xs-DSC_9897-16x-holycross.jpg
xs-DSC_9897-16x-holycross.jpg (167.7 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

First you have to consider the whole altitude range from trailhead to summit. In August you can have windchills and sleet into the 30s on the summit (but rarely). You may be starting your hike at first light where its still in the 40s. It can be 90s exiting the trailhead in the hot sunny afternoon. Also, the end of August can be downright winterish- below freezing at night, snow dustings, and ice in wet spots.

So the operational word is "layers" and thinks you can put on and take off. Light hat and gloves. A jacket for wind or rain. Shorts and light shirt for when its nice. Second insulating shirt for sudden cold. Something to fully cover you legs too.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

As mentioned, just about anything is possible in late August. Plan accordingly. Don't bring anything you don't know how to use (ice axe) or anything beyond the scope of likely scenarios (crampons). I've encountered pretty decent snowfall in late August/early Sept. I recall about 6 inches on Uncompahgre one year, a terrible whiteout with dangerous lightning on Tabeguache, ice on Blanca, and nearly 10 inches of snow on Bierstadt. Those are wintry scenarios I can remember off-hand.

Nights and early mornings will likely be freezing. However, you may get a stretch of summer warmth and sunny skies so don't put away the sandals just yet! Sunscreen is highly recommended.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Curtis Stoll
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Curtis Stoll »

Personally, I had to turn back on Crystal Peak one year the 3rd week of August. It wasn't that bad, but my problem? I didn't pack for the conditions. Didn't have the right gear and made the decision that the mountain will always be there. Never regret those decisions and do not fear making that decision just because you don't get to summit. Live to climb another day.

This is what this forum is all about. Sharing information in a very pleasant manner. Informative. Experienced individuals sharing with the not as experienced. We all win. Funny how that works.