CO's Great 14er Traverses

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (11)

CO's Great 14er Traverses

Post by Jorts »

Why are only 3 out of 4 of them described by this site? And why not Columbia - Harvard: the not quite great but good traverse?

If this has already been discussed and addressed, feel free to just plop down a link to the previous thread.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: CO's Great 14er Traverses

Post by nmjameswilson »

There are a lot of trip reports you can look up on H/C. I did it last year and it was an easy yet longer day.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

I just don't think anyone's bothered to create a route on this site for the LB-Blanca traverse. Only two of the traverses (Crestones and Wilson-El-D) were written by Bill; the Bells was a user submitted route. It seems like Bill only submits routes when he has a good understanding of the details of the route, so maybe he hasn't done the route or doesn't yet have enough information compiled to put it into a route. There's a lot of beta in various trip reports though.

Or, maybe he's leaving one last opportunity for a little adventure on a 14er.... ‾\(O_o)/‾
Jorts
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

I realize there's plenty of beta out there. Just found it interesting.
Verticality
14ers: 47  3 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Verticality »

Some of the more dangerous traverses have been left out on many guide sites. LB-Blanca, Rabbit Ears, Satans Traverse...

The good thing is most of these traverses have been described in good detail on the internet, 14ers.com forums, and Youtube videos.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

I always sort of assume the LB-Blanca traverse was left out because it is remarkably self explanatory. It's been a few years but I don't remember ever really wondering where to go, route finding is straight forward, there is less of a need for beta than there is on the other three. That is not to say that it's easy of course.

Or maybe it is because the more dangerous traverses and routes tend to get left off of sites like this.

I feel like one of those four "great traverses" is left out of Roach's book too. Correct me if I'm wrong but is it LB-B as well?
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I found the Blanca - Crestone Needle traverse to be a bit long and involved. Same with the Sherman - Democrat traverse.

I think the Columbia-Harvard Traverse is a legit 14er ridge traverse (if one stays on the ridge), but it can be a little exposed, and the few moves of 5.7 to take it on directly will require some actual climbing technique. I would not want to fall.

I'd love to talk about 14er - Centennial traverses. The OK to Massive traverse is awesome.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

"I found the Blanca - Crestone Needle traverse to be a bit long and involved."

Now you're just showing off. :)

Those of us who aren't up to attempting speed records tend to think of traverses as lying between adjacent peaks...not peaks several drainages over.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Jorts
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

justiner wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:15 pm I found the Blanca - Crestone Needle traverse to be a bit long and involved. Same with the Sherman - Democrat traverse.

I think the Columbia-Harvard Traverse is a legit 14er ridge traverse (if one stays on the ridge), but it can be a little exposed, and the few moves of 5.7 to take it on directly will require some actual climbing technique. I would not want to fall.

I'd love to talk about 14er - Centennial traverses. The OK to Massive traverse is awesome.
While we're on it, really wish the Eaglesnest-Buffalo traverse was on here as well. Maybe that trip report will pop up soon.

The 5.7 crack on rabbit ridge is about exposed as a McDonald's jungle gym and easier to circumvent than a pothole.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Jorts wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:24 pm The 5.7 crack on rabbit ridge is about exposed as a McDonald's jungle gym and easier to circumvent than a pothole.
That wasn't my experience at all. I saw no sneak around - although I hear there is one, and the pitch is really at least one pitch up a nice dihedral. I found a legit crack in the corner with an awkward topout. Took me a little while to build up enough bravery to take it on. And I'm prancing around the flatirons on the reg. looking for stupid things to climb.
Jorts
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

justiner wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:44 pm That wasn't my experience at all. I saw no sneak around - although I hear there is one, and the pitch is really at least one pitch up a nice dihedral. I found a legit crack in the corner with an awkward topout. Took me a little while to build up enough bravery to take it on. And I'm prancing around the flatirons on the reg. looking for stupid things to climb.
Hmm. It’s possible I was looking up at a different problem and circumvented the 5.7 to the west later without even seeing it. I came across a wall obstructing the ridge that didn’t look to be more than 30ft tall with an obvious crack climb. Admittedly I didn’t take it on cause I didn’t want to downclimb it if necessary. There was a quick straightforward bypass to the east on grassy ledges and loose gullies.
Jorts
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:49 pm Am I the only one who thinks 5.6 TR is harder than LB > Ellingwood ridge direct? Justiner you are a much better climber than I am so I’m interested in what you have to say
Could be. Less protected you are, the harder any given climb feels. I’ll hang dog and fail repeatedly on the same crux move until I master it on top rope on an easy 5.12. I don’t feel comfortable leading much over a bolted 5.10a. And if I’m leading trad I don’t like to exceed 5.8. Exposed soloing?... much lower grade.