Kirks Finish All CO Ranked 10ers Plus

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Kirks Finish All CO Ranked 10ers Plus

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Congrats to both of you! That is a huge list, and a lot of logistic and route planning in places seldom visited. Quite the commitment, nice job!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Insane accomplishment!! Congratulations to you both!
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Congratulations!
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Super human stuff right here! When I'm out hiking I always look at neighboring peaks of other heights & wonder what I'm "leaving behind"... From what I've read you took extreme care in not orphaning peaks very often & doing some pretty big link-up days! Kudos to you both! \:D/
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
jkirk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jkirk »

Thanks for all the kind words. We can't say that climbing all the 10ers was fun, at least not in North-Central CO. Deadfall has a way of sapping motivation. Fortunately this 10er thing hasn't been a real focus the last couple summers with 12ers+ out-of-state being the main source of peakbagging fulfillment. Glad to have this milestone out of the way.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

jkirk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:11 amThanks for all the kind words. We can't say that climbing all the 10ers was fun, at least not in North-Central CO.
Which ones were your least favorite?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Truly impressive stats of peaks. I have been pushing hard for a decade and finally approaching 1k myself:

1 BobPackard 6873
2 John Kirk 6297
3 Alyson Kirk 5828
4 Bob Martin 5546
5 Bob Burd 4695
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

12ersRule wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:29 am Congratulations John and Alyson, that is incredible. I'm really enjoying your progress on the KP as well.
Scott P wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:24 pm
supranihilest wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:58 pm I also highly doubt anyone's going after the Kirks, regardless of the evidence they post on LoJ.
I would agree. I debated posting the full story since I didn't want to start some huge debate. Then again, maybe it's good information to get out.

It has to do with Columbus Mountain and the ranch who owns access. When the first (known at least) person finished the Colorado 10ers, that person ask me if I could get permission for that person to climb the peak since I was a local. I tried to get the permission. Unfortunately they said absolutely not.

Columbus Mountain person is beyond ridiculous. The summit of Columbus is BLM land, and that BLM land abuts State Wildlife land. This person is trying to strategically buy a little bit of land, and have all this public land for him/her/themselves. what a douchebag.
Hate to stir the pot, but any more info you would be willing to share on this? Always curious about these disputes and how they actually shake out in real life when people start asking permission instead of just talking online.

I got a pretty interesting response down at Culebra this spring when inquiring about all sorts of things that were poo-pooed when brought up here. Surprising in multiple ways, but that is a different conversation.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

handonbroward wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:04 pm
12ersRule wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:29 am Congratulations John and Alyson, that is incredible. I'm really enjoying your progress on the KP as well.
Scott P wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:24 pm

I would agree. I debated posting the full story since I didn't want to start some huge debate. Then again, maybe it's good information to get out.

It has to do with Columbus Mountain and the ranch who owns access. When the first (known at least) person finished the Colorado 10ers, that person ask me if I could get permission for that person to climb the peak since I was a local. I tried to get the permission. Unfortunately they said absolutely not.

Columbus Mountain person is beyond ridiculous. The summit of Columbus is BLM land, and that BLM land abuts State Wildlife land. This person is trying to strategically buy a little bit of land, and have all this public land for him/her/themselves. what a douchebag.
Hate to stir the pot, but any more info you would be willing to share on this? Always curious about these disputes and how they actually shake out in real life when people start asking permission instead of just talking online.

I got a pretty interesting response down at Culebra this spring when inquiring about all sorts of things that were poo-pooed when brought up here. Surprising in multiple ways, but that is a different conversation.
I don't have too much to add other than I could share a screenshot on loj with the Land Management layer showing that the summit is clearly BLM land.
Other than that, I'm just reacting to what I've heard about it. I've never climbed it, nor attempted to....yet.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

handonbroward wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:04 pm Hate to stir the pot, but any more info you would be willing to share on this? Always curious about these disputes and how they actually shake out in real life when people start asking permission instead of just talking online.

The summit of Columbus Mountain itself is on BLM land, but it surrounded by private lands on all sides so you can't legally get to it (without a helicopter at least). It's one huge ranch and resort that owns much of the entire northern part of that mountain range. The ranch/resort covers 200,000+ square acres/320 square miles. The ranch is more than three times the size of the Cielo Vista Ranch at Culebra Peak.

Here is the cost of staying there for those interested:

20201030_135140.jpg
20201030_135140.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Keep in mind that's per person, not per room. Double the price if you want to go as a couple. Also don't forget taxes and fees.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

That's impressive! Congrats!
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

spiderman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:10 am Truly impressive stats of peaks. I have been pushing hard for a decade and finally approaching 1k myself:

1 BobPackard 6873
2 John Kirk 6297
3 Alyson Kirk 5828
4 Bob Martin 5546
5 Bob Burd 4695
Amazing accomplishment!!!
I'm not too up on mountaineering history. Does this mean Bob Packard has climbed the most Colorado mountains? Is he someone on the forum here? Just curious.