Snowmass - trail around the lake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Snowmass - trail around the lake

Post by Barnold41 »

No worries, your description is super helpful. This trip was a good beta check.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Barnold41,

Here are a couple shots from on the trail when I was there last, in the first pic you can see the trail on the right, and then on the left in the second shot.
It does get vague here and there but just keep going and you'll likely run into/intersect it.
Attachments
XS_DSC_5094.jpg
XS_DSC_5094.jpg (209.34 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
XS_DSC_5091.jpg
XS_DSC_5091.jpg (214.18 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Barnold41
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

nyker, thanks for the photos! I feel like we tried looking for a split but don't remember seeing one.
Barnold41
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:24 pm That happened to me, luckily my buddy followed. I just traced the gpx I had, and bushwhacked until the talus field opened up. I have a high tolerance for just “charging” through when needed though. I tried to stick closer to the waterfall descending and found dangerous loose scree. I’m sure someone will chime in for gpx, or I can find a file if you need
We weren't super motivated on summitting that day so we really didn't search that hard or care to charge through the willows. Next time I would probably do something similar to you if I couldn't find it (again). It looks so obvious from photos :-D
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Now I have not done Snowmass from the East side and don't know about the trail around the lake, BUT I have done the 4 pass loop and know the trail from the east end of the lake up to Trail Rider Pass. A couple of times I have come up Snowmass from the West side and then descended some of the east slopes route before exiting at around 12,000' to intersect with the Trail Rider Pass trail and go up and over, back to the west side and Lead King Basin where I start.

Seems to me that hiking up the well established trail, then taking this alternate access to the upper part of the East Slopes route would be nicer than the descriptions of the trail around the lake that I am reading about.

Look at the route description page, the 12,000' contour line cuts across Trail Rider Pass trail and traces my track over to the East Slopes route almost exactly.

Here is an illustration:
Snowmass Alternate
Snowmass Alternate
Snowmass alternate.jpg (215.9 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
It wouldn't be hard to decide where to leave the Trail Rider Pass trail, just leave when at the base of the cliff that makes up the east wall of Haggerman Peak. There is a pretty good game trail, strong enough to suggest maybe some human traffic besides mine as well.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Part of the trouble around is all the social trails around the lake/campsites. Coming down, we followed a dry path with ease. I took this picture not far from where we camped in 2015. In the dark, morning hours, we took the wet trail towards the bottom right. In the daylight on the return, we took the dry path, middle right.
Attachments
Star Fish Junction.jpg
Star Fish Junction.jpg (233.96 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
Barnold41
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

fahixsonm, thanks for the photo!

Wentzl, I had been looking at that route and wondering if it was feasible. It started raining when we were up in the area on the trail to trail rider so we turned back before trying anything.
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

I see the picture from Wentzl going way up high at 12000 feet and cutting below Hagerman and avoiding the entire scree climb above the lake. I take it that is a third way to go and that there is a dry trail higher than the lake level trail, but not too high??? Will be there in a few weeks. Thx. Any GPS trax appreciated.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

I actually had no idea there was a trail that went around the lake.
Here's looking at it from below Trail Rider Pass
Snowmass Basin
Snowmass Basin
Snowmass Basin.jpg (133.13 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Wish I lived in CO wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:15 pm I see the picture from Wentzl going way up high at 12000 feet and cutting below Hagerman and avoiding the entire scree climb above the lake. I take it that is a third way to go and that there is a dry trail higher than the lake level trail, but not too high??? Will be there in a few weeks. Thx. Any GPS trax appreciated.
If you're camped at the lake at the east side and walk in the direction to go around the lake counterclockwise, you'll see some trail segments and it will lead around the lake, whether its' a little higher or lower; if the water is running high (doubtful in Aug/Sept) you might be in mushy ground, but more often will be drier above, though early morning you'll probably get wet with dew covered leaves on the willow branches. Also be alert for bears in there...It might not be a perfect trail the whole way but there are segments here and there that will get you across.
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

I'll have to make up a short TR, but basically, you follow the trail that fahixson points out. Go halfway around the lake, you will be pretty close to the lake. Then turn abruptly left to go uphill for about 20 feet and then around the lake up higher, up to 100 feet above the lake in spots. You have to be looking for the turn off, you will miss it if not looking for it.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

I didn't try the cut across below Snowmass Peak that Wentzl pointed out; maybe I should have. Looked out of the way though to get back to the campsites. However that scree face on the std. route is NASTY. Also loose and dangerous. Had a few rocks whiz by from others above. I've been on many scree outings, but that is a contender for the worst.