Say NO to the sharpie summit

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Say NO to the sharpie summit

Post by powhound »

Found this on Quandary's summit today. It's on too large a rock to flip over and hide it. If anyone is heading up Q anytime soon, it'd be great if you could bring something to clean it off before any other knuckleheads get ideas. Maybe a wire brush and nail polish remover? If anyone knows what works best please chime in. It's located on the west side of the summit. Thanks.
mv.jpg
mv.jpg (184.83 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

White board cleaning fluid works on sharpies.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Great. Because other people really care that Michael Vue was there, on a mountain that so many hike on an annual basis. Talk about ego. Damn Texans. ](*,)
Michaelv
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Michaelv »

powhound wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:47 pm Found this on Quandary's summit today. It's on too large a rock to flip over and hide it. If anyone is heading up Q anytime soon, it'd be great if you could bring something to clean it off before any other knuckleheads get ideas. Maybe a wire brush and nail polish remover? If anyone knows what works best please chime in. It's located on the west side of the summit. Thanks.
mv.jpg
powhound wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:47 pm Found this on Quandary's summit today. It's on too large a rock to flip over and hide it. If anyone is heading up Q anytime soon, it'd be great if you could bring something to clean it off before any other knuckleheads get ideas. Maybe a wire brush and nail polish remover? If anyone knows what works best please chime in. It's located on the west side of the summit. Thanks.
mv.jpg
Hello hiking community,

I recently hiked Quandary Peak and I had vandalized a rock with a sharpie pen. I do want say I respect those who did reach out to me to acknowledge the wrongs I did. I want to deeply apologize to everyone of how selfish and disrespectful I was. I do regret my decision and wish I could go back and clean it off. Sadly, I am not from or live near Colorado to take responsibility to clean it off.

Once I made it to the top of the peak, I had so much adrenaline. I wasn’t clearing thinking and I decided to leave my mark. I was not thinking of the consequences of the damage I was doing.

As a first timer, I loved the hike and the beautiful nature environment. I clearly did not follow the law and deeply regret my decision. In the future, I will remember to follow the laws and not do something like this again.
rleclair
14ers: 58 
13ers: 186
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rleclair »

There's a good chance I may be up there this Saturday. I'll see if I can bring some white board cleaner and/or a wire brush. It was mentioned it's on the west side of the summit area. About how far west from the summit?
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Let's also include summit signs. And other associated trash people leave behind. The la plata picture is old, this year i went there and saw that its almost worn off, but still the spectacle of it all. 14ers aren't quite like subway cars in the intercity, at least not yet
Attachments
0727190730d.jpg
0727190730d.jpg (239.73 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
Resized_20200730_165445.jpg
Resized_20200730_165445.jpg (155.49 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

ULTRA LAME. [-X

Rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide both remove sharpie ink quite effectively ... might be easier to find?
Maybe put in a spray bottle or dab with a sponge for better application.
Hand sanitizer gel is essentially the same, might be easier to transport?

Edit: Unsure if cold temperatures will effect process... prolly shouldn’t.
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

pvnisher wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:26 am Thirty feet of vertical displacement is probably sufficient.

The root cause, eeehhh. Good luck.
But at least if there aren't examples laying around maybe copycats won't indulge.
That is the biggest thing.
A stone with someone's name written on it, if turned upside down by someone else with a sense of LNT, in the end is not the worst thing in the world.
To go the extra mile, put a couple of other stones on top of it, and probably no one else will ever know.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Barnold41 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:25 pm Great. Because other people really care that Michael Vue was there, on a mountain that so many hike on an annual basis. Talk about ego. Damn Texans. ](*,)
No offense specifically to Michael Vue. Sounds like a rookie mistake. The funny thing is that stuff like this is always found on Quandary, Sherman, LaPlata, etc.
DIdn't seen anything like it on top of Crestone Needle, and my guess is you won't find this on the top of Pyramid or Sunlight Spire either.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

If the perp wants to demonstrate his sincerity, I suggest he make a generous donation to Colorado Fourteeners Initiative.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Robzilla »

mtree wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:00 am I saw one of those on a stone at the Quandary summit once. I was snacking and stewing and thinking and realized I had some rubbing alcohol in my first aid supplies. So I used it to attempt to erase the Sharpie. It didn't work. Bummer.

Got home and experimented with acetone and Goof Off! Neither very effective taking Sharpie off a rough stone. Oh well. Just thought I'd pass along the info. If someone knows what can easily remove the Sharpie, I'll gladly carry a bit with me.
Methanol is what I use to remove sharpie ink at work, though if acetone didn't do it I'm not sure that will either. Could be difficult due to the porosity of the rock. Good luck, this sort of thing grinds my gears. My parents have this big, beautiful sycamore tree and someone tagged it once. Took years to fully wear off. I've been finding more messes in the outdoors down here in Missouri and Arkansas this year with more people getting out there.
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

rleclair wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:16 am There's a good chance I may be up there this Saturday. I'll see if I can bring some white board cleaner and/or a wire brush. It was mentioned it's on the west side of the summit area. About how far west from the summit?
I'd guess about twenty yards west of the summit cairn, maybe a little past the best windbreak for hunkering down. I don't remember exact location. The text faces west. I was up there for the full moon rising on my descent, so that's the setting sun highlighting it in the pic. In the morning, it would be in shadow and may require a little searching as it won't jump out. This west-facing position should remain windswept of snow, though. Suggestion: Maybe do a quick test with various cleaners at home, on a small chunk of disposable landscape rock, to see what works with the least amount of effort - so you're not spending more time than necessary standing around in the brutal cold. If you're successful, please post what you used. Thanks.