Say NO to the sharpie summit

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MaryinColorado
Trip Reports (14)

Re: Say NO to the sharpie summit

Post by MaryinColorado »

Michaelv wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:35 am
powhound wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:47 pm Found this on Quandary's summit today. It's on too large a rock to flip over and hide it. If anyone is heading up Q anytime soon, it'd be great if you could bring something to clean it off before any other knuckleheads get ideas. Maybe a wire brush and nail polish remover? If anyone knows what works best please chime in. It's located on the west side of the summit. Thanks.
mv.jpg
powhound wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:47 pm Found this on Quandary's summit today. It's on too large a rock to flip over and hide it. If anyone is heading up Q anytime soon, it'd be great if you could bring something to clean it off before any other knuckleheads get ideas. Maybe a wire brush and nail polish remover? If anyone knows what works best please chime in. It's located on the west side of the summit. Thanks.
mv.jpg
Hello hiking community,

I recently hiked Quandary Peak and I had vandalized a rock with a sharpie pen. I do want say I respect those who did reach out to me to acknowledge the wrongs I did. I want to deeply apologize to everyone of how selfish and disrespectful I was. I do regret my decision and wish I could go back and clean it off. Sadly, I am not from or live near Colorado to take responsibility to clean it off.

Once I made it to the top of the peak, I had so much adrenaline. I wasn’t clearing thinking and I decided to leave my mark. I was not thinking of the consequences of the damage I was doing.

As a first timer, I loved the hike and the beautiful nature environment. I clearly did not follow the law and deeply regret my decision. In the future, I will remember to follow the laws and not do something like this again.
Michael, it takes a big person to admit to this community a wrongdoing of this nature as we take Leave No Trace very seriously. Your words are appreciated, and I'm glad a learning has come of this. As you know, it will take some effort for the graffiti to be removed. I would suggest that if anybody on this thread is successful in their endeavor to hike up there and remove it, you offer them something to repay them for their effort to correct the situation. Just a thought. :)

And please educate others in your own circle, too, if you think there may be anybody newer to hiking or whatnot who may not be aware of the importance of Leave No Trace. Always great to share the knowledge!
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Michaelv wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:35 am As a first timer, I loved the hike and the beautiful nature environment. I clearly did not follow the law and deeply regret my decision. In the future, I will remember to follow the laws and not do something like this again.
Thanks for the follow-up and lesson, few people seemingly do that these days. Tell your friends and family, keep your local trails clean and help out when you can, and come back to Colorado anytime to enjoy some more great hiking. Cheers!
rleclair
14ers: 58 
13ers: 186
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rleclair »

An update to close out this thread. I hiked up to the Quandary Peak summit 12/5/20 and found the graffiti rock. Sadly I forgot about bringing hand sanitizer/whiteboard cleaner/acetone or anything to remove the graffiti. Regardless, I was able to hide it for the time being using some notched rock that should remain in place for a little while and to not encourage others to add their name to the rock. If future hikers have sanitizer/whiteboard cleaner/acetone to remove it, this is what it looks like now.
Attachments
QuandaryPk.jpg
QuandaryPk.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Gandalf69 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:33 am I found this on la plata last summer. People don't even know the right elevation lol
That was not there when I was on La plate many years ago.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

first there was that guy hitting golf balls off summits. now there's this guy hitting baseballs into the Grand Canyon
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

Gandalf69 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:33 am I found this on la plata last summer. People don't even know the right elevation lol
Probably the same person who made this Mt Yale marker. :)

hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

Alcohol is a solvent for Sharpie ink, if it has not deeply penetrated the rock. I have had good luck with it even on plastic.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:22 pm first there was that guy hitting golf balls off summits. now there's this guy hitting baseballs into the Grand Canyon
this guy has now been found and identified and contacted by the authorities. i've been told he may have been using the baseball to scatter ashes in the GC, which is nice but:
1) scattering ashes in the Grand Canyon is specifically prohibited by the Park Service
2) if you still feel the need to violate the prohibition and scatter someone's ashes there, there are far safer and less conspicuous ways to do it, ways that don't endanger the safety of hikers and wildlife or add human litter to the canyon. how do you even get ashes inside a baseball in the first place?
3) he actually posted a video on his facebook page of himself hitting the ball. the ball does not disintegrate or anything, you can see the ball, in one piece, falling into the canyon. the video is captioned "A little different way of enjoying the Grand Canyon". i won't post a link to the video because it also contains contact info, i'm sure he's already been getting almost as many calls as the Squid Game guy by this time.
4) i just came back from the Grand Canyon less than a week ago. there are signs posted all over the place about not throwing stuff off cliffs or down into the canyon. no one can claim ignorance if they do something like this there.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin