The 13ers FKT Project

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The 13ers FKT Project

Post by angry »

TravelingMatt wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:01 am Gatekeeping on homelessness. Now I've seen everything here.
Ha!! I actually work with true homeless individuals utilizing HUD-VASH. Deciding it's convenient for you to go off the grid and hike doesn't equate to homelessness, sorry not sorry.

I've personally experienced homelessness as a child when someone tried to kill one of my brothers and threw a bomb in my bedroom window while I was sleeping burning the place to the ground. The end.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Congratulations on being the Andrew Hamilton of homelessness then. I'm sure you've already got up your trophy from HUD. I'll still call it that when I'm Montana for a month and am subletting my condo, though.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

did this thread suddenly merge with the Pedants Unite thread? what is homeless? what is a "home"? if you live out of a car or a van or an RV, can't that be a "home"? does it have to be permanent to be a home? some of these vans and RVs people live out of are way nicer than other peoples' "permanent" homes. how long do you have to live in one place for it to become "permanent"? one month? one year? your whole life? if so, then are any of us not homeless? what is a permanent home anyway? is a mobile home permanent? if not, then is "mobile home" an oxymoron? and does it become permanent if you put it up on cinder blocks? or does it stop being permanent if a tornado comes along and picks it up and moves it a mile away? how about one of those tiny homes that sits on a trailer? does it stop being a home if you move it to another place? is a second home really a home? how much time do you have to spend there before it becomes a home? one month? one year? your whole life? do any of these questions really matter anyway?
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Wow you guys reinvented linguistics. =D>

Wittgenstein would be proud. All philosophy is just language games...
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:31 amhow long do you have to live in one place for it to become "permanent"?
As long as we're trusting the Federal government's definition of things, USFS and BLM say it's 14 days. But then the post office says it's a year. That what you get for listening to them.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

I would throw a bomb through the bedroom window into this inane thread if I could, starting right from the first post.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

druid2112 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:42 am I would throw a bomb through the bedroom window into this inane thread if I could, starting right from the first post.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

druid2112 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:42 am I would throw a bomb through the bedroom window into this inane thread if I could, starting right from the first post.
Well the original topic is a fair one -- not necessarily "can I do all the 13ers in a year" but more generally "what is involved in doing them all of them as quickly as possible" -- and several prominent members and I responded in genuine fashion. As far as going off the rails, remember as always the other guy/girl started it.

Oh hell, I even wrote this, and stand by it:
TravelingMatt wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 pm If you're hiking a lot in winter, you can't really have a job and probably don't even want to have a house.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Eli Boardman wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:36 am Wow you guys reinvented linguistics. =D>
More like exemplified it. It is the study of how human communication works, which tends to involve a lot of educated types flinging, “Well, actually,” back and forth all day.

This derail in particular is a fascinating example of an attempt to distinguish semantics and pragmatics (as the terms are typically used within the field, essentially the literal application of a word or phrase vs. its colloquial use), and if lockdown goes on for long enough that I decide writing a dissertation would be a fun distraction, I’m totally using this thread.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Eli Boardman wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:36 am Wow you guys reinvented linguistics. =D>

Wittgenstein would be proud. All philosophy is just language games...
i knew i should have signed up for that Philosophy of Homelessness class back in college. but it was a graduate-level course, and i was only minoring in philosophy, so it didn't seem worthwhile.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

This thread is what the Pedants Unite thread was supposed to be.

14ers.com: The greatest known conglomeration of epidemiologists, Constitutional scholars, and philosophers.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

angry wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:45 am
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Please don't stop with this thread. At least 80% of threads need to be blown up!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.