The 13ers FKT Project

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The 13ers FKT Project

Post by teamdonkey »

Been almost 2 months, any updates?
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

He said he wasn't going to start until July 4th
thatOneMonoskier
14ers: 43 
13ers: 235
Trip Reports (3)

Post by thatOneMonoskier »

Update: I started in May, managed to do 64 peaks by early/mid June (~3 peaks/day for about 3 weeks) and then, perhaps unsurprisingly, got Giardia. With that not only came all of the things you'd expect (losing lots of weight, not being able to do anything physical, being exhausted 24/7 for weeks on end), but I also completely lost any drive I had to do anything. It's now been over a month and I've started training again but I'm nowhere near being fully recovered yet. That, coupled with the fact that I lost the better part of June, has made me shift my focus in other directions since I know I won't be happy with my time if I go back to the 13er grind. Hopefully I find something rad to do this summer and don't get more Giardia.

Sorry for all the hype. Maybe I'll go for 1 year pace again next season since I have a better idea of what that entails now; maybe I'll just shoot for 2 years since I'll probably still knock a good number off this season. Try not to get Giardia - it really does suck.
Last edited by thatOneMonoskier on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just out here to go up
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

thatOneMonoskier wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:58 pm]Try not to get Giardia - it really does suck.
Indeed it does, but FWIW Metronidazole/Flagyl kills it, and is available over the counter outside the United States.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

thatOneMonoskier wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:58 pm then, perhaps unsurprisingly, got Giardia.
Any idea on the specific source (location/elevation)? Were you filtering? Just curious.
thatOneMonoskier
14ers: 43 
13ers: 235
Trip Reports (3)

Post by thatOneMonoskier »

Boggy B wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:57 pm
thatOneMonoskier wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:58 pm then, perhaps unsurprisingly, got Giardia.
Any idea on the specific source (location/elevation)? Were you filtering? Just curious.
I have no clue where I got it since symptoms appear anywhere from a couple days to weeks after exposure. I wasn't filtering anything but got the majority of my water from sources above 10,000'. I did the same thing last summer and was fine so I didn't even think about it, but I guess I just got lucky. Since getting back out, I've filtered or boil my camp water but I'm still drinking from sources above treeline (I figure if I can see the glacier, I'm probably good).
I'm just out here to go up
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

thatOneMonoskier wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:45 amI've filtered or boil my camp water but I'm still drinking from sources above treeline (I figure if I can see the glacier, I'm probably good).
Marmots live pretty high up...
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

seano wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:26 pm
thatOneMonoskier wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:58 pm]Try not to get Giardia - it really does suck.
Indeed it does, but FWIW Metronidazole/Flagyl kills it, and is available over the counter outside the United States.
I thought it wasn't? I do know that aquarium supply stores and websites sell it in the same doses as for humans for super cheap. But that's only for fish. Wink wink.
Boggy B
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

thatOneMonoskier wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:45 am I have no clue where I got it since symptoms appear anywhere from a couple days to weeks after exposure. I wasn't filtering anything but got the majority of my water from sources above 10,000'. I did the same thing last summer and was fine so I didn't even think about it, but I guess I just got lucky. Since getting back out, I've filtered or boil my camp water but I'm still drinking from sources above treeline (I figure if I can see the glacier, I'm probably good).
Interesting, thanks. Giardia sounds rough. I haven't filtered water in CO for years. My personal rule has been to not drink untreated below treeline but I violate that occasionally based on inspection. We'll usually hit non-cooking water collected below treeline with iodine, though apparently it isn't terribly effective against Giardia or other CO backcountry water problems.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Most animals big and small roam or hang out as high as the 14er summits, and like to drink the water they find, so I would filter or treat any water from any elevation. Maybe an exception from a melting snowfield or right at a spring, or if you're in Patagonia.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Boggy B
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:36 pm A few weeks ago I went to filter water at the creek above Navajo Lake, and accidentally kicked a dead mouse in. Needless to say I was happy I didn’t filter any lower, this was close to 12,000’
This spring, after filling up on snowmelt in the creek that drains the W Blue Lakes basin (Wolcott-S6-S5 cirque) I descended 100' further and found a huge hole in the snow over the creek. Stuck my head inside to find a rotting elk carcass right in the watercourse. Something had dug through the snow to scavenge. This is around treeline in that particular basin but I'd have drunk from the stream below that point on any other day as it's fairly alpine still. Not the first time I've found game carcasses in otherwise pristine creeks. Guess you have to assume a couple PPM of rot.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Bummer about Girardia. That scenario is always at the back of my mind when camping. We just got back from Middle Cimarron drainage and there was a giant herd of domestic sheep near the ridges. We filtered everything twice. Oh and they smell and poop! And we could hear the noise a basin away.