The 13ers FKT Project

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zephyr_pelicante
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (34)

Re: The 13ers FKT Project

Post by zephyr_pelicante »

thatOneMonoskier I thoroughly enjoyed reading this entire thread and I want to thank you for the entertainment.

It's my opinion (which is an opinion and not a fact) that people were a bit hard on you on this post and I liked the idea and think you were well intentioned and 64 peaks is a pretty cool accomplishment even if you got giardhia. That's more than the entire list of 14ers worth of mountains so it is also my opinion that if that is a real figure you have a hell of a story to tell about "the time I attempted the 13ers FKT" and who knows maybe in a few years you find yourself wanting to attempt it again with more success.
thatOneMonoskier
14ers: 43 
13ers: 235
Trip Reports (3)

Post by thatOneMonoskier »

Hello Again! Some of you have followed this forum, and for those of you that have, I appreciate it.
I set out several months ago with this ridiculous goal of climbing all the 13ers – I didn’t make it very far, but I learned a lot in the process, due in no small part to getting Giardia. If you’re interested in seeing what my attempt was like, and the following summer months post Giardia, I made a film. It’s called “Full Send Full Bend,” because Giardia sucks (filter your water!). https://youtu.be/oY_kt7TXAu0
For everyone who isn’t interested in the 13ers story: If you’re on this forum, I know that you love Colorado’s mountains (that is in part, I imagine, of why this whole website exists). So do yourself a favour, take 3 minutes, and skip to 22:10 of this film. I promise it is worth your time (brownie points to anyone who can name all where all of the mountain shots were taken!).
Happy Trails,
Justin
I'm just out here to go up
RobbS
14ers: 36 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobbS »

Great film Justin, I just watched it for the second time. It's obvious that you've put a lot of thought and a lot of work into this. I think the film does a great job of telling your story and it's just really good technically and artistically. The 'Take a Moment' sequence at 22:10 is nice. I really like the night sky videos. Your conclusions about being content in your situation, even if you are suffering kind of remind me of the old Edward Abbey quote: "When the situation is hopeless, there is nothing to worry about". Anyway, I give Full Send, Full Bend a thumbs up and I would encourage others to take a look as well. Congratulations on your whole project and the film.
thatOneMonoskier
Trip Reports (3)

RobbS wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:10 am Great film Justin, I just watched it for the second time...
Thanks Robb! It means a lot to me that you enjoyed it! I'm glad you enjoyed the 22:10 sequence - the last shot of the comet setting was taken from the top of Huron (fun facts). I like that Edward Abbey quote; I feel that it's very true and I can just imagine that quote echoing through my head during some future sufferfest. Cheers!
thatOneMonoskier
Trip Reports (3)

This last summer, I continued dirtbagging and climbing 13ers+. I didn't go quite as pedal-to-the-medal as I was focused on other challenges, but I still managed to summit 90 new peaks this season, bringing my total to 154 unique peaks in 1.5 years. If I continue at this rate, my projected finish time is ~6.37 years, though I doubt I'll be able to dirtbag for the next 4 years :-k ...

Regardless, I have made another short film using footage from those 90 peaks. It's another honest view of my life as a climbing bum. I feel that sharing it on this website is appropriate as some of you will enjoy the cinematography of CO's mountains at 11:00, so if you only have 3 minutes, I would jump to the montage. https://youtu.be/TFDiZmZprTU

If you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it!

And for the trolls: I'm not trying to just shamelessly promote my content. Go watch those 3 minutes and tell me, as a mountain person, that you didn't enjoy it.
nunns
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

thatOneMonoskier wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:37 am This last summer, I continued dirtbagging and climbing 13ers+. I didn't go quite as pedal-to-the-medal as I was focused on other challenges, but I still managed to summit 90 new peaks this season, bringing my total to 154 unique peaks in 1.5 years. If I continue at this rate, my projected finish time is ~6.37 years, though I doubt I'll be able to dirtbag for the next 4 years :-k ...

Regardless, I have made another short film using footage from those 90 peaks. It's another honest view of my life as a climbing bum. I feel that sharing it on this website is appropriate as some of you will enjoy the cinematography of CO's mountains at 11:00, so if you only have 3 minutes, I would jump to the montage. https://youtu.be/TFDiZmZprTU

And for the trolls: I'm not trying to just shamelessly promote my content. Go watch those 3 minutes and tell me, as a mountain person, that you didn't enjoy it.
Just curious as to where you were in the very first part of the video.
It looks like the knife edge on Capitol.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

thatOneMonoskier wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:37 am This last summer, I continued dirtbagging and climbing 13ers+. I didn't go quite as pedal-to-the-medal as I was focused on other challenges, but I still managed to summit 90 new peaks this season, bringing my total to 154 unique peaks in 1.5 years. If I continue at this rate, my projected finish time is ~6.37 years, though I doubt I'll be able to dirtbag for the next 4 years :-k ...

Even more important than the 90 new summits, was the first ever split monoski descent of the infamous Bull Hill A :wink: :wink:
I thought, I taught, I wrought
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Haters gon' hate. Nice work on the bagging and the footy.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
thatOneMonoskier
Trip Reports (3)

nunns wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:59 am
Just curious as to where you were in the very first part of the video.
It looks like the knife edge on Capitol.

Sean Nunn
It's part of the ridge between UN12975 and UN13201 just west of Wetterhorn. It's unexpectedly gnarly but a fantastic line!
k_fergie wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:21 pm
Even more important than the 90 new summits, was the first ever split monoski descent of the infamous Bull Hill A :wink: :wink:
The monoski descents are definitely way more impressive! Though it's certainly not hard to claim first descents on the mono haha
Jorts wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:57 am Haters gon' hate. Nice work on the bagging and the footy.
Thanks for the kind words! Your username is on point.