Where did the monsoon go?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Where did the monsoon go?

Post by justiner »

Def. some precip, but we've got a long way to go to be at "not a drought" levels
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Yeah, we've had short bursts of very intense rain. Its actually pretty bad for our drought to have such heavy rain because our dry soil can't absorb it. Hence all the flash flooding and mud/land slides, which have not been limited to only the burn scars although those areas have been hit the hardest. Loveland Pass was closed this weekend because of a mudslide for example, no burn scar there.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

ECF55 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:21 am With the chance that this conversation quickly goes off the rails (not my intent)...I'm an East Coaster and the West is obviously in the middle of a significant drought, but it appears from news headlines that the Colorado Monsoon has resurfaced and afternoon thunderstorm activity is occurring in earnest. Is it all hype, or is Colorado finally getting some summertime precipitation this year?
The San Juan's are lush with moisture right now. Full streams, booming flowers, mushrooms everywhere. I felt like I was in a rain forest. The short bursts of intense rain are par for the course during monsoon season with some summers way drier than others. The intensity of the monsoon can vary dramatically from one summer to the next.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Kevin Baker wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:10 pm
ECF55 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:21 am With the chance that this conversation quickly goes off the rails (not my intent)...I'm an East Coaster and the West is obviously in the middle of a significant drought, but it appears from news headlines that the Colorado Monsoon has resurfaced and afternoon thunderstorm activity is occurring in earnest. Is it all hype, or is Colorado finally getting some summertime precipitation this year?
The San Juan's are lush with moisture right now. Full streams, booming flowers, mushrooms everywhere. I felt like I was in a rain forest. The short bursts of intense rain are par for the course during monsoon season with some summers way drier than others. The intensity of the monsoon can vary dramatically from one summer to the next.
yeah for sure, the corn lilys were 6 ft tall last week and all the rivers are full
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Precip levels in CO for the past 30 days....

https://climate.colostate.edu/maps/prec ... len=30days
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
summit21
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summit21 »

Scott P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:23 pm It doesn't seem that it ever came, at least in most of the mountains. I think I have only heard thunder once this entire summer and even in the afternoons in the mountains it has been sunny when I have been out. It has been nothing but sunny and warm for days on end.

It looks like only a few small areas in the mountains got hit:

Apparently the Sangres and a few plateaus have been getting hit, but that's about it.
Huh...
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/monsoo ... -10-years/
Attachments
CO Monsoon.JPG
CO Monsoon.JPG (82.89 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
"The weather? The weather? Just show up at the trailhead and see what happens...you'll be surprised!"
ncxhjhgvbi
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ncxhjhgvbi »

Original post was from 2019 but he linked a map that auto updates. I've noticed a lot of threads from years ago being brought back up recently...good people are using the forum search function, but have to mind the timestamps for sure!
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Just want to point out that Scott P's post is two years old but the graphic linked in the original post is from 2021 (at least as of writing of my post), since it is regularly updated without changing the filename.

Edit: got beat to the punch by two minutes! :P
summit21
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summit21 »

ncxhjhgvbi wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:32 pm
Original post was from 2019 but he linked a map that auto updates. I've noticed a lot of threads from years ago being brought back up recently...good people are using the forum search function, but have to mind the timestamps for sure!
:thumbup: :lol:
"The weather? The weather? Just show up at the trailhead and see what happens...you'll be surprised!"
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm the earth is a pizza, global warming is caused by the pizza going into the oven, and the moon is made of delicious cheese which will be sprinkled all over us once we're done baking.
Every time I've watched pizza being made, they put the cheese on before they put it in the oven.
CORed
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

shelly+ wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:09 am
Dave B wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:30 am [
In this case, when every major scientific organization and even the US Military has publicly identified human-caused climate change as a legitimate threat, it is not an appeal to authority fallacy. It is the collective opinion and agreement of experts and should be weighted heavily.
the problem for scientists is that there are a lot of people who don't accept the paradigm in which they are experts. so, in the minds of those who do not accept science as a means to understand the world, the collective agreement of experts is pointless. scientists might want to find a different avenue to convince.
You make a point that you can't reason people out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into, but I hardly think that scientist resorting to misinformation and propaganda is a viable soolution. One thing I have noticed is that agw deniers are increasingly shifting from, "it ain't happening" to "It's all natural and there's nothing we can do about it", because it's becoming untenable for even tinfoil hatters to claim it ain't happening. In any case, 50 or 100 years from now, I expect there will still be congresspeople and senators on Capitol Island claiming there's nothing to worry about.
CORed
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:20 am
FireOnTheMountain wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:32 pm
TomPierce wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 pmI can't believe I'm even posting this, I try to avoid political-zealotry-disguised-as-rational-debate posts. But c'mon...there's nothing to global warning? Really? Ugh...
Fret not Tom, I hear it from non believers of climate change all the time...it's cool, the Earth will correct itself and it goes through phases.
the earth WILL correct itself... step one will be getting rid of all us humans. once that's done, it should only take a couple hundred million years or so for things to get back to normal. that's like a short nap for the earth.
Yes, the planet will survive us just fine. The real question is whether it will still be habitable for our species. Personally, I think humans will survive (maybe a few tens of thousands of us), but those remaining will be iron age hunter-gatherers or subsistence farmers (there will be too much scrap metal around for those of us remaining to go back to the stone age).