Where did the monsoon go?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Where did the monsoon go?

Post by two lunches »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:11 pm It is a farce to try and win over a conspiracy theorist. Most of them are religious nutjobs who refuse to believe that neither god nor humans are in control of the world because they cant accept the insecurity of the situation. They also refuse to believe and accept that they are, in fact, part of the problem.
cotton i absolutely cannot take any of your comments on conspiracy theorists seriously with dale gribble as your avatar :lol:
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Ptglhs wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:12 am What's even more fun than arguing with a global warming denier is arguing with a flat earther. Aethric wind, the ring of ice, and NASA conspiracies are all hysterical. Unlike global warming, which is human driven and fueling the next great die off of the planet, there's more amusement than harm in believing the earth is flat.
To be fair, because the Earth is flat, our climate system doesn't change like it would if it was actually a globe. That's what makes the debate against "Global Warming Advocates" so entertaining. Trying to base your assumption around the earth being a 3-dimensional object kind of takes the wind out of your sails before you even start.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

nunns wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:30 am Whichever side of the aisle you are on, you can't use data from a single year to bolster your claim. Colorado got a bunch a snow this winter, and now this summer isn't getting much rain at all. Both could be parts of larger trends, or they could be aberrations of data. You can't make a claim either way based on a single year. That would be like flipping a coin one time and drawing a conclusion from the result of the single flip.

Sean Nunn
Weather is not climate!*

*Weather is climate when the weather supports your conclusion.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

XterraRob wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:35 am
To be fair, because the Earth is flat, our climate system doesn't change like it would if it was actually a globe. That's what makes the debate against "Global Warming Advocates" so entertaining. Trying to base your assumption around the earth being a 3-dimensional object kind of takes the wind out of your sails before you even start.
Interestingly, half of the flat earthers I've talked to say they believe in anthropogenic climate change. The others were split amongst biblical dominion theory or a promise from god to Noah of no more floods, and yet more conspiracy theories. It's a big tent under that tin foil hat.
Last edited by Ptglhs on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
skier25
14ers: 44  10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by skier25 »

I want to know why climate change deniers and other conspiracy theorists believe that scientists have some dark purpose... Every scientist I've ever met is really only interested in advancing their field of study. This country's level of scientific illiteracy terrifies me; if only scientists were better communicators. ](*,)
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.
Lobojasper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lobojasper »

Last edited by Lobojasper on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Ptglhs wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:13 am
Interestingly, half of the flat earthers I've talked to say they believe in anthropogenic climate change.
it makes sense that these views are compatible to a flat earther. it doesn't take science to see that people are destroying natural balance. just look around. similarly, a flat earther doesn't need science to see that the earth is flat.
zinj
14ers: 58 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (13)

Post by zinj »

skier25 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:23 am I want to know why climate change deniers and other conspiracy theorists believe that scientists have some dark purpose... Every scientist I've ever met is really only interested in advancing their field of study. This country's level of scientific illiteracy terrifies me; if only scientists were better communicators. ](*,)
We're hardly unique. A majority-held viewpoint in many countries (yes, in the 21s century!) is that black magic and "jinn" are real. The Saudis have special police units to address witchcraft and sorcery. Yes, in the 21st century.

We may look back somewhat bemused at the hysteria of the Salem Witch Trials of 1692, but there's a lot of the planet that's still "living in 1692" in the sense that they're afraid enough of unseen and unproven supernatural forces that these mystical contrivances are considered a justifiable basis persecution and punishment of real human beings.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... ft/278701/
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

nunns wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:30 am Whichever side of the aisle you are on, you can't use data from a single year to bolster your claim. Colorado got a bunch a snow this winter, and now this summer isn't getting much rain at all. Both could be parts of larger trends, or they could be aberrations of data. You can't make a claim either way based on a single year. That would be like flipping a coin one time and drawing a conclusion from the result of the single flip.

Sean Nunn
sean, that isn't how arguing works. if "hottest month ever recorded" fits your narrative then by god you better use it. and if a stat doesn't fit your narrative, you just strawman or ad hominem them to death (see: "Spencer is an advisor to the Cornwall Alliance" or "Aren't tin foil hats super hot during the summer?"). you've been on the board long enough that you should know this by now.

on a somewhat related topic, i find it deliciously ironic that the people who rail loudest against the "science deniers" of agw are far more likely to deny the science of vaccinations. not that that disproves their argument (because that would, you know, be ad hominem), but i just can't help but chuckle when i think that on a venn diagram they would mostly overlap.
zinj
14ers: 58 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (13)

Post by zinj »

brichardsson wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 pm
i find it deliciously ironic that the people who rail loudest against the "science deniers" of agw are far more likely to deny the science of vaccinations. not that that disproves their argument (because that would, you know, be ad hominem), but i just can't help but chuckle when i think that on a venn diagram they would mostly overlap.
[/quote]

wha?

I find it ironic that people with sideburns are curling fanatics. Basically the same population. or something
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

It's like everyone forgot how much it rained this spring... western slope just started getting blue bird days about a month ago...
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

the earth is a pizza, global warming is caused by the pizza going into the oven, and the moon is made of delicious cheese which will be sprinkled all over us once we're done baking.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin