Youngest to summit a 14er unassisted?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Youngest to summit a 14er unassisted?

Post by peter303 »

Do dog-years count too?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

angry wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:18 pm
justiner wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:14 pm
angry wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:55 pm I recall someone attempting to get sponsored by Top Ramen, but don't think it ever panned out.
You're a little salty today.
LOL, it's true. The Top Ramen people sent him a letter declining. I can't remember his forum username but his real name is Noah.
Ooooh, I thought you were seasoning this post with ramen puns. You were really bowling me over with them.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

peter303 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:27 pm Do dog-years count too?
Only if they're written in Ramen numerals!
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

zzz.jpg
zzz.jpg (18.76 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
Last edited by cedica on Wed May 06, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

EARTHTREK PEDICAB wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:37 am Hi. Let me introduce you all to my now 5 year old Daughter, Lebna Amen Safrina,
who summited her first 14er unassisted at age 3. She did Quandary Peak. Since then she has climbed 8 other 14ers in Colorado. It's what she does.. I just carry the food and clothing.. It would be nice for the world to know about her/this because maybe then she could get a sponsor(?) and afford to do more great things and shatter the perceptions of limited reality. We currently drive from Maryland to Colorado each year to do this. It would be so nice to never have to leave... She would climb a mountain every other day...! If only some kind of sponsor.. to at least help support her getting to the Mountains would be great! Lebi is the real deal if I can keep it all going.. Movie script IDK IJS...Lebna/Lebi is on INSTAGRAM @LifeofLebi. Blessed Love to All!
The only sponsors I have ever seen for any of the younger kids climbing mountains is Mom and Dad paying all the bills. The youngest kid to do the 7 summits had dad pay for all of it. If you want to move closer to the mountains. Your best bet is to find a good paying job in Denver area and move.

Good luck,
Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

EARTHTREK PEDICAB wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:37 am Hi. Let me introduce you all to my now 5 year old Daughter, Lebna Amen Safrina,
who summited her first 14er unassisted at age 3. She did Quandary Peak. Since then she has climbed 8 other 14ers in Colorado. It's what she does.. I just carry the food and clothing.. It would be nice for the world to know about her/this because maybe then she could get a sponsor(?) and afford to do more great things and shatter the perceptions of limited reality. We currently drive from Maryland to Colorado each year to do this. It would be so nice to never have to leave... She would climb a mountain every other day...! If only some kind of sponsor.. to at least help support her getting to the Mountains would be great! Lebi is the real deal if I can keep it all going.. Movie script IDK IJS...Lebna/Lebi is on INSTAGRAM @LifeofLebi. Blessed Love to All!

Does your daughter also love doing beauty pageants? :P
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Sean Nunn wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:58 am I don't want to sound like a hater, but how would you know if a 3 year really WANTED to try to summit a 14er unassisted?
It's a slippery slope when you start asking a 3 year old if they want to do something like climb a mountain.
It's even more slippery when you start "encouraging" them to keep going even when they are tired and want to stop.
At what age is someone truly able to decide something like this for themselves? There is no easy answer to that question, but IMO it is older than 3 years old.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/m ... s-20138358
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

^^^ Dressing a small child in Liverpool kit was inane idea indeed. No wonder Luna rebelled to become Everton fan.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Sean Nunn wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:58 am I don't want to sound like a hater, but how would you know if a 3 year really WANTED to try to summit a 14er unassisted?
Old post, but in my experience with three year olds, if they do not want to do something and if they are not having a good time, you most certainly will know.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

Just to be clear this person is serious..........poor kid
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:07 pm Not a parent - but 14ers are high enough altitude to cause minor brain damage. I would be hesitant to take someone with a still developing brain to altitude

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -thin-air/
At what elevation does this become a concern? The article mentions Mont Blanc at 15,781'. Is there evidence of brain damage as low as 14,000'?
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

awake wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:05 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:07 pm Not a parent - but 14ers are high enough altitude to cause minor brain damage. I would be hesitant to take someone with a still developing brain to altitude

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -thin-air/
At what elevation does this become a concern? The article mentions Mont Blanc at 15,781'. Is there evidence of brain damage as low as 14,000'?
I would guess less of a concern, because only 2 of 7 got damage at 15781, and 8 of 8 showed damage, and more serious damage, at 18000 feet. So 14000 is prob ok? Dunno. It is your kids young developing brain we talking about.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche