Snow in C2 couloir?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bigsky17
14ers: 53 
Trip Reports (0)

Snow in C2 couloir?

Post by bigsky17 »

I've been keeping an eye out for new entries for Ellingwood Point conditions and haven't seen anything recent in regard to the South Zapata Creek approach. I was up to Zapata Lake in June and could still see snow in the C2 couloir. I plan on trying Ellingwood this next Sunday and was wondering if there was still snow in C2. Thanks for ant info.
Flips
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Snow in C2 couloir?

Post by Flips »

I climbed it June 8 and there is zero snow in C2. Do be careful, especially at the top. It’s like a mini hourglass. Had a soccer ball size rock with company come down.
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultrarunningkid »

Even with a helmet i'd always recommend staying about 50-100 feet below and on one of the walls while someone is on that mini-hourglass on the C2. With that sandy rock it doesn't make much of a difference whether you have a helmet on or not on if a decent size rock comes down at knee height. Its a decently short funnel to get out of but pretty loose when dry,
randalmartin
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

This is a picture I took of the very top of the C2 Couloir from a couple of years ago so you get a sense of the exit. After exiting make sure you make good mental notes on where along the ridge it exits for the return.
31.jpg
31.jpg (108.86 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
Flips
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

ultrarunningkid wrote:Even with a helmet i'd always recommend staying about 50-100 feet below and on one of the walls while someone is on that mini-hourglass on the C2. With that sandy rock it doesn't make much of a difference whether you have a helmet on or not on if a decent size rock comes down at knee height. Its a decently short funnel to get out of but pretty loose when dry,
Agreed. I was positioned behind some solid outcrop on the right side wall and at that point the rock funneled to the left. Keep evaluating where rockfall will most likely go depending on where your partner is. Definitely wait until your partner finishes and is on the ridge. Then continue to be careful.
Flips
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

This is how it looked when I was waiting for my partner to gain the ridge. Notice I am much farther to the right than the previous photo.
Attachments
E75B6C71-1DC2-46C4-B147-3055E1DFC510.jpeg
E75B6C71-1DC2-46C4-B147-3055E1DFC510.jpeg (998.73 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
bigsky17
14ers: 53 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bigsky17 »

Thanks for the update on the couloir and advice. All of which is really helpful. I've heard about the exit onto the ridge and that it can be tricky and so thanks randalmartin and Flips for the pics. Much appreciated.
randalmartin
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Also to be clear, I think my picture is where we did the little branch to the left near the top of the couloir which is why it looks a little different than Flips picture.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

When we did it, it was mostly dry.
I think our group split between the left and right exit... some going one way, some going the other.
But I think all but one of us descended on the right side.

Yes, it's loose. It's a gully.
And remember where it is on the ridge going back.
BuckeyeClimber
14ers: 32 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by BuckeyeClimber »

Thinking about this route July 21, 2021. Very excited about the path less traveled. Can class 3 be expected going up the C2 couloir to gain the ridge with a few class 4 moves? And finally, is there a trail on the Northwest ridge or do we find our own way? Thank you very much!
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Nothing class 4, a small bit of class 3 maybe at a narrow spot near the top of c2, more like holding the sides as handrails. It's not that bad and a climber's trail has been forming through the scree. No trail on the ridge, which is class 3, but fun,, there was a stake colored marker at the top of c2.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"