Missing Hiker RMNP/Mt. Meeker

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Missing Hiker RMNP/Mt. Meeker

Post by peter303 »

Remember he perished doing what we all love: climbing mountains.
Just so sad it was so early in his life.
My condolences to friends and family.
jasayrevt
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 159 4
Trip Reports (26)

Post by jasayrevt »

Sincere Condolences to family, friends, and other loved ones on this loss.  Take solace knowing that he passed living life.  Brian Perri remains a strong guiding light from heaven
"A mind that is stretched by new experiences can never revert to old dimensions."

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live life as you have imagined."

"Motivate others towards attaining highest aspirations."
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

RIP Brian. Sad ending to this story. My prayers and condolences go out to all.
Century Bound, eventually.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Prayers for comfort and strength for Brian’s family and friends. May he rest in peace forever, and may his memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

Damn! RIP Brother! Sad to see someone so young pass on! Condolences to his family and friends!
Last edited by broncotw on Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted from TEXAS!
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

Very sorry to hear, but glad he was at least found.
Hawkeye225
14ers: 18 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hawkeye225 »

I happened to be at the Long's Peak/Chasm Lake trailhead this morning and had a conversation with one of the rangers. It was rather brief and I certainly may have not heard it all correctly.

My understanding is that a hiker was in the area of the Loft (vague here), on the Loft route to Long's and sent a distress signal. SAR or rangers or such went up to help the hiker in distress and came upon Brian. As of early today, the evacuation was scheduled for tomorrow.

Please, if those comments aren't exactly correct, feel free to correct and just let it go. We lost a brother in the mountains and that is all that is important.

My sincerest condolences, thoughts, and prayers for everyone involved.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I don't know what happened, but I thought he was found to the NW of Meeker, which would have put him perhaps in a gully/slope on the other side of the Loft, perhaps a little south of Clarks Arrow/Keplinger's Couloir.

His friend mention being found in a place they couldn't have reached during their search. That sort of makes sense to me - if he started near Sand Beach, perhaps he was looking for Keplingers to do the descent from, rather than retracing his steps? The only thing that doesn't makes sense to me in that totally theoretical scenario is that Kep is a long detour back to the TH, if you went up one of the more south (or) eastern ridges of Meeker. I could see someone being impatient when trying to find the right gully to go down - from the Loft, I'm sometimes still suckered into a gully that appears before the downclimb to Clarks Arrow.

Anyways, always sad to hear something like this. I hope that if/when it's appropriate.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/news/rec ... -perri.htm

Recovery Efforts Completed For Brian Perri

Brian Perri’s body was recovered this morning by helicopter from Rocky Mountain National Park. His body was transferred to the Boulder County Coroner’s Office. Boulder County Coroner’s office will not release positive identification until completion of an autopsy. However, it is believed that the body is that of Brian Perri, 38, of Fort Collins, Colorado.

On Saturday afternoon, July, 28, 2018, a ranger was responding to a SPOT device activation from a visitor recreating in the area. While looking for the source of the SPOT activation, the ranger came upon Perri’s body. Perri was located southwest (not northwest which was originally listed in a previous news release) of the summit of Mount Meeker in steep terrain. Mount Meeker (13,911 feet) is the second highest mountain in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Perri took an approximate 25 to 40 foot tumbling fall and appears to have died instantly. He was located downhill and southwest of the Mount Meeker summit photo that he texted to a friend on June 30. He was found above tree line at the base of a steep, nearly vertical drop off, consisting of large boulders, loose rock and talus scree slope.

Searchers, including ground teams, a dog team and helicopter aerial operations were in the vicinity of where Perri’s body was located. Unfortunately, the steep terrain, angle, sheer size of the rocks and boulders as well as the coloring of his tan and green clothing made it extremely difficult to see him.

Late Thursday July 5, 2018, park rangers were notified by Fort Collins Police that Brian Joseph Perri, 38, of Fort Collins, Colorado, had been reported as missing. Perri was last known in the Mount Meeker area of Rocky Mountain National Park. On June 30, Perri texted a friend a photograph of himself from the summit of Mount Meeker. After rangers were notified of the missing man on July 5, six days after he was expected back, they located Perri’s car in the parking lot at the Sandbeach Lake Trailhead. Perri was day hiking and was expected out on Saturday, June 30.

Extensive search efforts began the evening of Thursday, July 5, and encompassed significant sections of 22.5 square miles above tree line as well as forested areas. The majority of the search area was in rugged and remote terrain with loose rock, steep ridges, and exposed cliffs, on ridge lines and couloirs. The area was searched by helicopters, ground searchers, dog teams, and UAS reconnaissance. Assisting Rocky Mountain National Park Search and Rescue members has been Larimer County Search and Rescue members and dog teams, Rocky Mountain Rescue based in Boulder County, Fort Collins Police, Northern Colorado Helitack, Colorado State University Police Department, Front Range Rescue Dogs, Search and Rescue Dogs of the United States(SARDUS) and Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado (SARDOC), Flight For Life Air Ambulance and Colorado Search and Rescue Board members.

Boulder County Coroner’s Office will determine the cause and date of death.

The visitor who activated the SPOT device was located Saturday evening, July 28, by other rangers in the Keplinger Couloir area with a lower leg injury. Rangers remained with the man overnight. On Sunday morning, July 29, the hiker was taken by Flight For Life Air Ambulance to Estes Park Medical Center where he was treated and released that morning.