Holy Nolans!!!!!! attempt....

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
asansone
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter5 
13ers:summits49 

Holy Nolans!!!!!! attempt....

Post by asansone » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Hey all, it's that time of year again! Andrew Hamilton will be headed out for a Nolans attempt, headed N--->S this time, but with an added 30 miles as he attempts Holy Cross with this feat. Holy Cross will be the first mountain hiked. He plans on starting at 7 or 8 am, sleeping as he arrives at the Fish Hatchery, and from there beginning his North to South Nolans attempt. In the past he has done Nolans unsupported, but this attempt will be supported.

**Disclaimer: there is some smoke in the air, it is supposed to clear out, but if it becomes too hazardous to the lungs, he will restart his attempt at a later date.

His tracker link is: http://share.garmin.com/14ers

Good Luck!
"Insight: the ability to see a thrilling adventure where others see only a near-death experience"
Phill the Thrill
14ers:summits58 winter4 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Holy Nolans!!!!!! attempt....

Post by Phill the Thrill » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Good luck Andrew and crew! Are you starting tomorrow morning (Thursday)?
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
asansone
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter5 
13ers:summits49 

Post by asansone » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Thursday morning!
"Insight: the ability to see a thrilling adventure where others see only a near-death experience"
Cruiser
14ers:summits50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Holy Nolans! I hope the weather cooperates!
Where ever you are... There you are.
Priddy
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Priddy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Great minds think alike! I will be starting Northbound from Shavano Friday morning headed for Halfmoon TH (Holy Cross). However, I am not doing Holy Nolans or Nolans Holy. Just the Sawatch 15.

High fives may be in order somewhere around Pine Creek?

https://share.garmin.com/MichaelPriddy

--Priddy
Jason Halladay
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits84 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jason Halladay » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:00 pm

Priddy wrote:...Just the Sawatch 15.--Priddy
Yeah, *just*. :-D

Best wishes to Andrew and Mike for all the variables aligning to make it happen.
andrewhamilton
14ers:summits58 winter58 
13ers:summits66 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andrewhamilton » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:31 pm

So let me get the terminology right then. Holy Nolans would be a Nolan's Attempt, plus Holy Cross. The Sawatch 15 would be essentially the same mountains only you wouldn't drop the elevation to get to the Fish Hatchery to log a Nolan's start or finish. That sound good? Anyway I'll be on the lookout for you Michael! I'm just hoping this smoke clears outta here!
Jason Halladay
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits84 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jason Halladay » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:34 pm

andrewhamilton wrote:So let me get the terminology right then. Holy Nolans would be a Nolan's Attempt, plus Holy Cross. The Sawatch 15 would be essentially the same mountains only you wouldn't drop the elevation to get to the Fish Hatchery to log a Nolan's start or finish. That sound good? Anyway I'll be on the lookout for you Michael! I'm just hoping this smoke clears outta here!
Sounds good to me. Sounds like you two are the folks coming up with the definitions so let us know. :-D
Priddy
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Priddy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:46 pm

andrewhamilton wrote:So let me get the terminology right then. Holy Nolans would be a Nolan's Attempt, plus Holy Cross. The Sawatch 15 would be essentially the same mountains only you wouldn't drop the elevation to get to the Fish Hatchery to log a Nolan's start or finish. That sound good? Anyway I'll be on the lookout for you Michael! I'm just hoping this smoke clears outta here!
Yes. That makes perfect sense to me. I don't have any business over by Fish Hatchery since I am not doing Nolans. It's possible I'll hit Massive summit by 60 hrs.

Where's the fire? I have been driving up and down US24 all day and thought it looked hazy.

--Priddy
Priddy
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Priddy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Fire in Utah?
kushrocks
14ers:summits58 winter24 
13ers:summits47 winter3 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Air quality map link: https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=top ... _wildfires

Good luck Andrew!
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
pbakwin
14ers:summits56 
13ers:summits64 
Trip Reports (18)

Post by pbakwin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Here are the original "rules" for Nolan's, from Matt Mahoney:

No pacers.
No mechanical aid (walking sticks and GPS are allowed).
No leaving the course and returning unless by foot.
The time limit for an official finish is 60 hours.

So probably anyone who uses pacers (as many have) shouldn't be considered a Nolan's finisher any more than someone doing the route over 60 hours would be. One is free to make one's own "rules" for the Sawatch 15. Mike & I tried it twice as a self-supported backpack, with the objective to finish in 5 days. But we failed the first time due to terrible weather & the second time due to other issues. This time Mike is going "supported", including pacers. Not carrying a 20+lb pack should help!

Good luck to both of you!