VIDEO - Mt. Evans Summit via Guanella Pass

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Maverick6981
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27 4
Trip Reports (32)

VIDEO - Mt. Evans Summit via Guanella Pass

Post by Maverick6981 »

Click here to see the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ6TOl08Ve8

Yesterday (9/28/16) I did the Guanella Pass route to Evans' West Ridge. Also did Mt. Spalding on the way. It was a great day, perfect weather and very rewarding. Hope you like the video!

If you have any feedback on how I could make future videos better, please let me know on here.

Thanks,

Mav
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: VIDEO - Mt. Evans Summit via Guanella Pass

Post by AyeYo »

How did you like the willows and the gully?
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

AyeYo wrote:How did you like the willows and the gully?
Surprisingly, it wasn't too terrible. In the morning, most of the mud was frozen and on the way back, we were able to navigate around most of the muddy spots. I can imagine doing this particular route during the summer would suck!
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Maverick6981 wrote:I can imagine doing this particular route during the summer would suck!
Literally. Your shoes right off your feet. :lol:
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

AyeYo wrote:
Maverick6981 wrote:I can imagine doing this particular route during the summer would suck!
Literally. Your shoes right off your feet. :lol:
Seriously! Haha
rayers1001
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rayers1001 »

Edit: Just saw you didn't do the sawtooth from the video. We did Bierstadt, Sawtooth, Evans combo route.

A buddy and I did this route (minus Spalding) on Sunday. Honestly, I did not enjoy anything from the gully down. To me, the gully feels more dangerous and accident prone than anywhere else on the route.
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

rayers1001 wrote:Edit: Just saw you didn't do the sawtooth from the video. We did Bierstadt, Sawtooth, Evans combo route.

A buddy and I did this route (minus Spalding) on Sunday. Honestly, I did not enjoy anything from the gully down. To me, the gully feels more dangerous and accident prone than anywhere else on the route.
Yeah, my knees were definitely feeling it after descending the gully. How did you like the Sawtooth? It looks super fun!
rayers1001
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rayers1001 »

Sawtooth was definitely fun. It wasn't super difficult and it wasn't near as intimidating as it looks. We had great weather conditions. I highly recommend it. If I do it again, I will leave a car in the Mt. Evans parking lot and skip the gully and marsh. :-D
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Without a doubt that gully is more dangerous than anything on the sawtooth route.
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

rayers1001 wrote:Sawtooth was definitely fun. It wasn't super difficult and it wasn't near as intimidating as it looks. We had great weather conditions. I highly recommend it. If I do it again, I will leave a car in the Mt. Evans parking lot and skip the gully and marsh. :-D
That's good to know because it is on my list!
AyeYo wrote:Without a doubt that gully is more dangerous than anything on the sawtooth route.
Great! I will be heading back to do the sawtooth probably before the end of the season. Thanks!