14er Recommendation For A Newbie

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14er Recommendation For A Newbie

Post by oldschoolczar »

Huron. Not too long.. beautiful views and a much more (relatively) solitary experience than one of the front range 14ers.

Grays and Torreys was my first one several years ago and I was appalled by how many goons were running around that mountain... people in costumes, grilling on top, etc. If you want a party atmosphere do that on a weekend. If not, try to get a little further away from Denver.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Michaeldadof4 wrote:And yes, DeTour, she was ready to slap me when I showed her pictures of the Needle taken from Humboldt.
Yes, but we all know that somewhere in there the macho thing was percolating. "Yes, timid woman, I, your virile husband, did climb to the top of yon peak. Because I am a manly man who does manly things."

That should get me good and lit up by some of the ladies on the forum.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

If she is really in "tip-top" shape, then San Luis is a pretty mountain with no crowds and zero exposure. It's a long ways from the city centers and a long hike though. If you have 4 WD and really good hiking fitness, I recommend the trailhead just outside of Creede.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

Bierstadt would be good on a weekday, to avoid the crowds. But then, she might feel more comfortable having all those people around.

If she likes Bierstadt, and wants to do another, Decalibron would be good. You can do all 4, or just 1. San Luis would be another good choice, but much longer to get to.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

JChitwood wrote:Might as well do one you have not done. Lincoln, Democrat, Quandary, and Sherman are easy to get to and hike. San Luis is tough to get to and at 13.5 miles a very long day on the trail. And all the trees are dead.
From Stewart Creek TH, yes, it is long like 13.5 miles and wet after rain to get to San Luis Peak, but it is not so with a trail from West Willow Creek TH. It is only 11 miles and dry. I don't know why most people tend to overlook West Willow Creel TH.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Why limit yourself to just 14ers ?

There are some FANTASTIC 13ers with super views
and almost NO Crowds! (The easy 14ers are called
"Conga Lines" for a reason)

My suggestion: Square Top - class 1 - 6 mile RT
paved road to trail head with bathroom - surrounded
by Mountains in every point of the compass.

http://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=20 ... type=13ers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I would stay clear of the 12ers. They tend to
attract the Chablis and Bree crowd 8)
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Monte Meals wrote:Why limit yourself to just 14ers ?

There are some FANTASTIC 13ers with super views
That bait-and-switch doesn't work that way: people hear about the 14ers, and enjoy being able to talk with others about it.
It's like telling people visiting Fort Collins to skip New Belgium brewery in favor of visiting better ones.
(Even though I agree that, for example, Square Top is a nicer hike and view than Bierstadt)

The 'crowded' 14ers have the advantage for new people of feeling reassuring and possibly keep spirits up: "If that person can make it, I can!" and meeting someone from your homestate, etc.
Quandary is a good choice, and has been mentioned, has amenities of Breckenridge close to the trailhead. "Hey, just think, x more minutes and we'll be down enjoying lunch (or staying at a nice hotel), etc."
Bierstadt is also good for a first-timer, but is less scenic than Quandary, and the nearest town is smaller.
Huron is more scenic yet, more remote, but a longer drive.
If you think she'll do one 14er, ever, Elbert is a reasonable choice and it gives the pride of hiking the highest point in the state.

You know your wife best! If she's more sociable, than go for something like Quandary. If she wants more quiet scenery, then perhaps Huron. I would say San Luis is pretty remote, and even the Sangres eat up more of your vacation time, but you can decide if you want to make it feel like a once-in-a-lifetime, remote wilderness experience. Sticking to closer ones to Denver (assuming you're flying there) gives you a good bang-for-the-buck, and paints the picture of something that's easy to do together annually.
Enjoy!
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

"If you think she'll do one 14er, ever, Elbert is a reasonable choice "

Elbert - 4,700 feet elevation climb with some loose rock if you miss the trail
Square Top - 2,400 feet elevation climb

Elbert is a killer for a newbie.
Michaeldadof4
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Michaeldadof4 »

I'm not opposed to a 13er, but for some reason she wants to do a 14er with me. I think it is the idea of sharing something significant with me. I believe that once she climbs one 14er she will be open to others, including 13ers.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Depends on where you'll be:

Front range - Grays & Torreys (two for one!)
Tenmile/Mosquitos - Quandary Peak
Sawatch - Huron Peak or Belford/Oxford (another two for one)
San Juans - Handies Peak or San Luis Peak
Sangre de Cristos - Humboldt Peak

I took some out-of-state newbies to climb Huron Peak and they loved it - it's relatively short, and the views of the Three Apostles are beautiful.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Monte Meals wrote:"If you think she'll do one 14er, ever, Elbert is a reasonable choice "

Elbert - 4,700 feet elevation climb with some loose rock if you miss the trail
Square Top - 2,400 feet elevation climb

Elbert is a killer for a newbie.
Indeed, moreso, if the extra motivation of climbing the state's highpoint would be helpful and memorable to share together. Yes, though, it is a longer hike.
Michaeldadof4 wrote:I'm not opposed to a 13er, but for some reason she wants to do a 14er with me. I think it is the idea of sharing something significant with me. I believe that once she climbs one 14er she will be open to others, including 13ers.
My wife and I went through the same thing (she actually started by convincing me to do a 14er when I was apprehensive about crowds), and it's a nice thing to share together. Coincidentally, we did first hike Square Top instead of Bierstadt at a time when she was capable of doing either. She still wanted to do a 14er though.

It sort of reminds me of people wanting to jump up to half marathons, or marathons, etc. -- when we can certainly work hard on dialing in a 5k or 10k race instead. Admittedly, though, I can see how it's fun to have that pride of being part of that 'club' that has done something challenging that people can recognize and talk about it -- to see how it feels and what the mystique is about.

(We did La Plata from Winfield, which wasn't mentioned -- I liked it because it's scenic and not as crowded. It has false summits and boulder-hopping, though. From your description, and by coming out of town, it wouldn't be my top suggestion).

Have fun either way! Always glad to see people enthusiastic about the Colorado outdoors.