Wall Lake / Trappers Lake Loop (flat tops)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JToddOken
Trip Reports (0)

Wall Lake / Trappers Lake Loop (flat tops)

Post by JToddOken »

I've got about 4-5 nights available and want to get solitude (few people around) and great fishing. We're looking at the Wall Lake / Trappers Lake loop in the Flat Tops. Since it looks to be a very long drive I'm wondering if anybody has been and if so is it worthwhile for that long drive to get great views, solitude & fishing. Thank you.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Wall Lake / Trappers Lake Loop (flat tops)

Post by Scott P »

It is a beautiful place, but fairly popular by Flat Tops standards.

Also, last time I was at Wall Lake, we tried fishing, but there were no signs of fish. Maybe it winter kills?

That said, there are many other lakes on the Flat Tops that offer great fishing.

The Lost Lakes Loop is a good one, but do the section over the Chinese Wall and the Devils Causeway with a good weather forecast. Especially along the ridge above the Chinese Wall, you are above timberline for a long time and it can be hard to get down to safe ground.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

About to derail a little here...

Scott P, have you seen mushrooms around the Buford/Trappers lake area?

I've only been hunting up there in the fall, never this time of year. Trying to decide if I should go to my normal spot this year or check out that area. Any info would be appreciated.
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

We have found many, many morels up Ute creek (just west of Marvine creek). There is an old burn that was producing 5-gallon buckets full a few years ago. Usually a June trip. I have found huge numbers of Chanterelles right in the Trappers Lake parking lot, and my father collected buckets full of oysters in the area. Shaggy Manes should be out now, and Chanterelles in about 2-3 weeks.

West side of Trappers lake between the trail and the lake has been full of chanterelles in the past.

Not going to share the spot we found 200 lbs of Chanterelles last year . . . .
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

gspup wrote:About to derail a little here...

I've only been hunting up there in the fall, never this time of year. Trying to decide if I should go to my normal spot this year or check out that area. Any info would be appreciated.
Yes, there are mushrooms there, but I'm afraid that I'm pretty naive when it comes to identifying them.
gspup
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

kbmiller wrote:We have found many, many morels up Ute creek (just west of Marvine creek). There is an old burn that was producing 5-gallon buckets full a few years ago. Usually a June trip. I have found huge numbers of Chanterelles right in the Trappers Lake parking lot, and my father collected buckets full of oysters in the area. Shaggy Manes should be out now, and Chanterelles in about 2-3 weeks.

West side of Trappers lake between the trail and the lake has been full of chanterelles in the past.

Not going to share the spot we found 200 lbs of Chanterelles last year . . . .
Noted, thanks for your input ! The plan is to stop by our King Bolete spot near Rollinsville for a night or two.(I'm glad to share some more specific info on where to find some if you're interested) Then probably head up to Buford and do some fishing for the day on the white river then head down near Ute Creek for two nights. Will probably check out trappers lake just to see whats there and will hope to get lucky. Never have had Shaggy Manges, always fun to try a new mushroom.

Yes I know how people are about their mushroom spots 8) I only started foraging a few years ago so still slowly finding honey holes. Boletes are my mushroom of choice but that's only because I have yet to find any chantrelles in CO. Once again, thanks for the beta !
gspup
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Scott P wrote:
gspup wrote:About to derail a little here...

Yes, there are mushrooms there, but I'm afraid that I'm pretty naive when it comes to identifying them.
Well that's good to know they are around the area, so thanks !
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Here are some photos that I have taken of some mushrooms around Trappers Lake. I think the colored ones are death caps/fly agaric? Or something like that?

Of course I assume that these aren't the mushrooms that you are looking for.
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

The red ones with white spots are Amanita Muscaria -- poisonous (muscarine).

I stopped wasting time on Boletus once I found good quantities of Chanterelles -- and there are lots of spots with Chanterelles in Colorado. Stay between 9000 and 10000 feet, sparse cover in pines, mostly south facing, not too steep slopes. Good places to hunt are Grand Mesa (found about 50 lbs last year), Flattops, Thompson Creek area, northern Gores (NW of Kremmling). Haven't found many on the Front range. I think they like lodgepoles and douglas fir areas -- look for mossy spots in the forest.

Shaggy Manes (Coprinus Comadus) are usually along roadsides -- I found about 100 lbs just off the Castle Creek road (Little Annie Mine road), but they don't keep well. They are one of the best tasting ones (saute in butter). Be careful and don't drink alcohol with them -- some people have a bad reaction.
gspup
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Scott P wrote:Here are some photos that I have taken of some mushrooms around Trappers Lake. I think the colored ones are death caps/fly agaric? Or something like that?

Of course I assume that these aren't the mushrooms that you are looking for.
That last one looks like it could be a bolete.
bolete1.jpg
bolete1.jpg (199.78 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Yes Fly Agaric/amanita muscaria are the red ones, I've found many of those before. I've had friends eat mushroom recreationally but I was not interested. Too high risk for my blood.
amanita muscaria.jpg
amanita muscaria.jpg (130.44 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
gspup
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

kbmiller wrote:The red ones with white spots are Amanita Muscaria -- poisonous (muscarine).

I stopped wasting time on Boletus once I found good quantities of Chanterelles -- and there are lots of spots with Chanterelles in Colorado. Stay between 9000 and 10000 feet, sparse cover in pines, mostly south facing, not too steep slopes. Good places to hunt are Grand Mesa (found about 50 lbs last year), Flattops, Thompson Creek area, northern Gores (NW of Kremmling). Haven't found many on the Front range. I think they like lodgepoles and douglas fir areas -- look for mossy spots in the forest.

Shaggy Manes (Coprinus Comadus) are usually along roadsides -- I found about 100 lbs just off the Castle Creek road (Little Annie Mine road), but they don't keep well. They are one of the best tasting ones (saute in butter). Be careful and don't drink alcohol with them -- some people have a bad reaction.
Yes, I am excited to find chantrelles, but for now Boletes are fun. Especially on a rainy weekend like we're supposed to have. Might swing by Kremmling after Rollinsville and see what's there too. I'll let you know what I see kbmiller.

I will try the Shaggy Manes fresh in some butter if I find some, noted on the alcohol warning.