Pikes Peak Summit house options

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Pikes Peak Summit house options

Post by EatinHardtack »

AyeYo wrote:
jrs1965 wrote:
AyeYo wrote:The Springs really likes turning nature into tourist traps. In only a few months of living here I've lost all desire to go there, this just reinforces it.
Yes, because Grays, Torreys, Bierstadt and Evans are so much more pristine... :roll:
Don't recall any regularly running tourist events at Grays, Torreys, Bierstadt, or Evans. Evans does have a road, but not much of a summit house or gift shop. Every time I go to the Springs or Manitou I feel like I've stepped into Disney World.
Hilarious, then go back to Lakewood. Enjoy I-70.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

peter303 wrote:Can all that glass resist the 150 mph winds they sometimes get?
I'm a pretty cynical guy, but I have to assume that some random commenters on the internet aren't the first people in the world to consider the environment in which they'll be building this structure. Very likely the architects and folks who build any of these designs will account for this in whatever designs they put together.

(Of course AS a cynical guy, it occurs to me that one level of accounting for it could simply be the designers operating on the assumption that "once it's built, maintenance is a taxpayer problem...")
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

My guess is that you show a much flashier design than what's really possible (or economical), in order to get to the next step of getting the job.

I mean, these are early conceptual images, yeah?

I vote for #1 - it looks almost doable, and is pretty low key.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

jrs1965 wrote:
AyeYo wrote:The Springs really likes turning nature into tourist traps. In only a few months of living here I've lost all desire to go there, this just reinforces it.
Yes, because Grays, Torreys, Bierstadt and Evans are so much more pristine... :roll:
Or Longs Peak for that matter, there once was a restaurant in the boulder field near where the privy is today. Although the building is gone, there are still trash piles of old cans down in the boulders that exist to this day. 14er routes are not pristine, whether they have a road, bullseyes or cairns leading to the top; that's just how it is and will forever be. Our finite supply of mountains 14,000 feet or lower are becoming more and more trampled, which is why you should go see the more remote ones now before they reach a more mainstream status. Will you really notice the difference between Grays Peak traffic today vs. in 2020? I bet you would on some of the San Juans though.

If you're going to build something on Pikes Peak, build something exceptional that doesn't need to be replaced by the next architectural trend. Does the Eiffel Tower need to be replaced with a more modern design? How about the Sydney Opera House? I'd rather see something on Pikes Peak that strives to be an instant classic rather than a paltry design that will be fumbled with again and again.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

peter303 wrote:Can all that glass resist the 150 mph winds they sometimes get?
Yes, glazing for hurricane rated environments is required by building code to withstand both wind speeds of upwards of 150mph and airborne propelled debris... it'll crack and smash in that event, but won't structurally fail outside of the frame. The frame system is the crux, it'll be very substantial. I've seen earlier replies concerned about rocks in high wind storms with all that glass - rocks are fairly aerodynamic on the ground and being at ground level, with a summit full of surface irregularities really disrupts air speed so rarely when there's a 150mph wind storm is the surface experiencing that.

The R-value is not much - but in my mind if they choose any of the variations with the glazing facing southward it'll be more of an issue to cool the space almost year round with that solar heat gain, rather than heating it, for comfort. Few buildings on earth have that much glazing at that elevation, it'll be a fish tank. If you stand next to the glass in February it will feel cold, but go 50 feet back in the space and it'll be naturally hot. It will be interesting to see the specifications on the mechanical (HVAC) system for that complex.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

I was actually thinking of miscreants smashing the rocks into the glass, rather than the idea of wind somehow picking up a rock large enough to throw and damage the glass.

Surely, that's a concern, yeah?
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

justiner wrote:I was actually thinking of miscreants smashing the rocks into the glass, rather than the idea of wind somehow picking up a rock large enough to throw and damage the glass.

Surely, that's a concern, yeah?
Is it a concern where you work? At the stores you go to and where you live? It's not a concern any more than anything else. Yes those panes of glass are big targets, but it also means plenty of people inside to catch you - and really, where are you going to go very fast in order to flee your vandalism?
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Richard Derkase wrote: I'm sure you can find a good right-leaning civil engineer to do that. No need for an architect at all.
So most of the Mines student body. Might as well make it a senior design project and they'll finish the design/build in a week.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Richard Derkase wrote:
justiner wrote:Surely, that's a concern, yeah?
You're right. Let's build a bunker on top of Pikes. Lots of concrete, slit windows (with one inch glass), and most importantly a machine gun nest or two on the roof to drive off the vandals when they get uppity. They pick up a rock, shoot 'em.

I'm sure you can find a good right-leaning civil engineer to do that. No need for an architect at all.

Dick
If anything is 2" above ground level, Civil Engineers have no idea how to proceed. They tell water where to go and how, that's it.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Ha! The Civils are almost as bad as the architects.
Architect House
Architect House
house.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
sue personett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sue personett »

rustic-exterior.jpg
rustic-exterior.jpg (140.05 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
I think the old summit house should be demolished and the summit should go au natural but if they must have a summit house, I'd like to see a small rustic lodge sorta like this.
Namaste
Sue
sue personett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sue personett »

8408d2249272ca25c7ac4bda09718552.jpg
8408d2249272ca25c7ac4bda09718552.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
Or maybe like this.
Namaste