Pikes Peak Summit house options

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Pikes Peak Summit house options

Post by CO Native »

Oh it's bad. Sooo bad.

http://gazette.com/a-titanic-moment-at- ... le/1564790
option1.jpg
option1.jpg (114.81 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
option2.jpg
option2.jpg (152.37 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
option3.jpg
option3.jpg (162.6 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
option4.jpg
option4.jpg (115.01 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Pikes Peak Summit house options

Post by jaymz »

I fail to see a distinction between #1 and #4. I guess I'd be in favor of whichever one is least visible from below. I can see the new hotel at DIA clearly from the Ken Caryl area, so I imagine you'd be able to see at least a couple of these proposals from a good distance, altering the look of the mountain.
It's already a tourist trap up there, just don't make it so obvious that it is from everywhere else.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

Makes me wonder what happened to the timber and stone concept that was proposed years ago. Maybe the new architects have gotten on a modern sculpture kick or something. Well, it is public comment time so hopefully people will speak up and let the city know how they feel about the proposals. Pikes Peak Summit Complex Project
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

It looks like an enormous version of what used to be on Mt. Evans. We all know how well that held up.
Summit-House-Mt-Evans-1978.jpg
Summit-House-Mt-Evans-1978.jpg (129.79 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
Look, as long as I can get donuts and fried chicken, do whatcha want.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

And seriously, that's a lotta glass, next to a lotta rocks. Just sayin'
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

My old firm pursued the design contract, meaning I attended the pre-proposal conference, toured the existing facilities on the summit (last February of all times, drove right up to the top), and listened and asked questions and decided it wasn't worth the headaches the firms would get simply by means of the complexities of the contracts we were required to sign since the effort is a joint venture between Colorado Springs, the US Military, and CSU (or CU, whoever has some weather equipment up there.)

I understand why they want to do the work - the existing building is beyond outdated; it is sliding off the mountaintop at the rate of an inch or two per year (not much, but based on where it's at it'll slowly speed up as gravity keeps winning out.) Colorado Springs wants to consolidate the summit structures, to clean it up and operate more efficiently. They also want to maintain and enhance one of their prize ponies of tourism, the summit and make it more touristy and worthy of a worldwide summit experience (similar to many summits in France, Germany, etc...) The original ideas that were discussed included the possibility of realigning the railway tracks at the summit to get everything off the Colorado Springs side and in towards the center of the summit, but apparently that proved way too expensive (although option 3 is deceiving - apparently the Titanic deck points towards Manitou thus keeping the train alignment intact with that's there now.)

I have mixed feelings, I love good architecture, of which none of these really qualify for what Pikes Peak deserves. These concept models are seeds, early in form, and I definitely say they will be exploded, reinvented, or massaged based on rounds of public input. It's not an element that's going to go away, so if you have comments about them that are constructive - please let the City know through the website. If you wish to return the summit to an experience no one in over 125 years has known, a structure-free summit, I think Facebook venting is your best path.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

HELP! ](*,) I'm stuck on Round 1!!! :cussing:
PikesPhotoHunt.JPG
PikesPhotoHunt.JPG (65.94 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
jaymz posted before I was finished...
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

All that is needed....
Summit Bldg.jpg
Summit Bldg.jpg (67.61 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
Of course if they wanted to continue to sell donuts, I would suggest something like this...
krispy_kreme_store.jpg
krispy_kreme_store.jpg (107.82 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

#1/#4 look like great ski ramps. That is all.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Looks like they're aiming to build the Pikes Peak Metropolitan Museum of Contemporary Art.
KansanClimber
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (2)

Post by KansanClimber »

why in all the god's green earths would the Forest Service sign off on this? The existing structures and infrastructure are bad enough, now they want to build a much larger building??

Also, it reminds me of the infamous clam house off of I-70:
Attachments
ugly house.jpg
ugly house.jpg (39.43 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” W. C. Fields
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

The article had the wrong photo for option 1, here is the actual option 1. Probably the least obnoxious of the 4.
option1.jpg
option1.jpg (33.58 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com