Nolan's Attempt - 8/27/15 9:05pm Start

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Nolan's Attempt - 8/27/15 9:05pm Start

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Wow, incredible. Congratulations, Dave!

Wait a minute: No party on the summit on Shavano???
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Phill the Thrill wrote:Wait a minute: No party on the summit on Shavano???
Nope, nor tweets nor fb selfies, for Dave, you see, doesn't suffer from premature e-jubilation. ;)
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Timberlinejohn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Timberlinejohn »

Nicely done. Grats!

John Robinson
Last edited by Timberlinejohn on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

RobertKay wrote:Congratulations on an amazing accomplished! I cannot begin to understand how this is possible. Incredible!
+1. It would take me weeks.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Way to go Dave! I work with one of your crew teammates, I am looking forward to hearing about the trip. She had said you were aiming for the FKT, I am happy to hear that you were able to meet your goal =D>
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
ekviatnie
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekviatnie »

Thanks everyone for their support and encouragement.

Nolan's has been a goal of mine for four years. Last year I attempted the last weekend in August and completed five peaks before stopping for bad visibility. I completed the route the next weekend, albeit in 63h because I was tired from the previous weekend. This year I experienced white-out, horizontal blowing snow on Massive and Elbert. Consequently I was two hours behind my goal time at Echo Canyon TH. I thought about quitting, but I saw the clouds clear and the full moon energised me. I am glad I did not stop.

As for errors, I got lost crossing Brown's creek going up to Tabeguache. That cost me two hours, but taught me how important it is to navigate and move-on. I could have quit there too, but refocused my mind and moved-on.

For me, the true Nolan's experience is travelling solo. I think travelling as a team takes away the self reliance factor that makes Nolan's so mentally way-out-there. Had I been with someone else, I might not have gotten lost and set a faster time, but it would have been at the expense of personal growth.

My personal feelings are not intended as a put-down to Nolan's team attempts. Team attempts are just different than solo attempts. By the way, I am super impressed with Andrew Hamilton's self supported completion. I loved seeing my wife and friends at various points and needed their emotional support. AH is one tough dude! Also, Miss Gosney is right-on. Last year, I would never have traded hiking down from Massive with my friends for finishing faster.
Attachments
My wife and Barefoot Alex and Ben at Blanks Cabin
selfie.jpg (251.53 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
selfie2.jpg (245.62 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
Timberlinejohn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Timberlinejohn »

Good job! Navigating at night with no trail is really difficult and I think you're right on about Nolans being a mental challenge more than anything else. Bad things are Guaranteed to happen in a run like Nolans and you have to hold it together.

John Robinson
mtnhigh358
14ers: 58 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnhigh358 »

Congratulations Dave! It was a very impressive effort.

Would you mind telling us why you chose to start at 9:05 pm? It seemed like a good strategy because I have heard people like Eric Lee talk about how difficult Mt. Princeton can be in the night, and you were able to do Mt. Princeton in the light. However then you did mention getting lost near Brown's Creek, probably due in no small part to being tired and in the darkness.

If you were to do it again would you still choose the 9:05 pm start?
Timberlinejohn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Timberlinejohn »

I think almost any off-trail section you do in the dark will be hard. I lost time going up Bull Hill (on Elbert) in the dark the 2nd year I did nolans even though I knew it well.
ekviatnie
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekviatnie »

My evening departure choice was dictated by work. I had to return to work Monday morning. Secondarily, it did allow me to sleep and then climb Yale and Princeton in the light. Those two peaks are hard to climb at night.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

ekviatnie wrote:My evening departure choice was dictated by work. I had to return to work Monday morning.
(...thinking of going to work soon after ~60 hours of ass-busting...)
When life gets you down, climb!
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Broken Knee wrote:(...thinking of going to work soon after ~60 hours of ass-busting...)
The train station is where trains stop.
The bus station is where buses stop.
Ekviatnie's work station is where ... :yawn: zzzzzzzzzz
:-D
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."