Nolan's 14

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mjsherman
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (0)

Nolan's 14

Post by mjsherman »

Ultra runner Anna Frost and a friend Missy are trying Nolan's right now. Started this morning on the north end.
Follow them. http://trackleaders.com/nolans14i.php?n ... ty___Missy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; good luck!
mtnhigh358
14ers: 58 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nolan's 14

Post by mtnhigh358 »

Good luck! It would be cool to see the first two women complete Nolan's if you both finish in 60 or under!
Dean82
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dean82 »

Good Luck, I saw these guys at the La Plata TH today.
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

Can someone (like Eric?) post the splits that are ideal in order to complete this within 72 hours? It looks like they are off to a great start with 8 peaks sumitted in under 30 hours?
mtnhigh358
14ers: 58 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnhigh358 »

I think they are shooting for 60 hours, not 72.
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Here are some split estimates that would get them in before 60 hours. I think the big question mark now is Princeton. For the Nolan's route it is a killer, especially in the darkness on your second night out. I think Pine Creek (between Oxford and Harvard) is pretty close to the halfway mark, and they were there at about 26 hours. So I am not sure what their plans for sleep are (if any), but here are some reasonable estimates that would keep them on track to finish in under 60 hours. Based on the speed they have been going I think they can beat/meet these estimates:

Harvard at 9:40 am (about 27:40 total time)

Harvard to Columbia: 2:30
Columbia to base: 1:30
Base to Yale: 2:30
Yale to Avalanche TH: 2:00

This would put them at Avalanche TH around 6:00 pm, 36 hours in. At this point it will be getting dark soon, and I expect them to slow down. They may spend a little time getting support or sleep at the Avalanche TH.

Since we don't want to underestimate Princeton, lets give them a full 12 hours to do it:

Avalanche TH (including stop time at TH), to Maxwell Gulch: 4 hours
Maxwell Gulch to Princeton: 3 hours
Princeton to Alpine: 5 hours

This places them at alpine with 48 hours elapsed. However they have been impressive so far and I think they could beat up on that 12 hour estimate...

Alpine to Antero: 3 hours
Antero to Tabeguache: 3 hours
Tabeguache to Shavano: 1 hour
Shavano to Blank Gulch: 2 hours

That would have them finishing at 57 hours...
John Paul
14ers: 41 
13ers: 223
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Paul »

Here is a link to Eric Lee's splits from 2012. Scroll down to see them >> http://ericjlee.com/Trip%20Reports/2012 ... 0Long.html According to Eric's stats he got to Harvard at 7:26am and Missy/Anna got there is morning around 9:45am. Looks like they are about 2.5 hours behind Eric's pace if they left at 6am from the Fish Hatchery. Eric finished in 57hrs 27mins.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

"The object is to climb as many 14ers as you can, traveling on foot, in 60 hours."http://www.mattmahoney.net/nolans14/

Good luck, Anna and Missy! \:D/
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
pcrotty41
14ers: 42 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pcrotty41 »

They just about smoked the Harvard to Columbia Traverse...these girls are moving...Frosty is no joke and is a World Class Mountain runner, and I would expect them to complete this under 60...
Last edited by pcrotty41 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Best of luck and safe travels to Anna and Missy ! Would love to see some female finishers of the Nolan's 14 ! =D>
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

pcrotty41 wrote:They just about smoked the Harvard to Columbia Traverse...these girls are moving...Frosty is no joke and is a World Class Mountain runner, and I would expect them to complete this under 60...
Yup, of course nothing is a given, but sub 28.5-hours at Hardrock suggests that she more than has the endurance to do it. Anyone knows what the best HR PR is of any of the finishers ?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Ha. Anna is to, "World Class Mountain Runner" as Jupiter is to "large planet in our solar system"!

I think they'll get it. Not sure about Missy (who I'm sure is > adequately prepared), but Anna has done multiple seasons of recon and helping others who have successfully completed under 60 hrs.

Just, if the weather cooperates.

Lotta goes in the next few weeks, I'm sure! I'm hoping Britt goes for it again (unsupported).