What is the best way to get to the Beartown TH

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
blindmule
14ers: 58  2  22 
13ers: 84 6
Trip Reports (0)

What is the best way to get to the Beartown TH

Post by blindmule »

My buddy and I are planning on going down to climb Jagged Peak over the upcoming Labor Day weekend. Our plan is to access Jagged from the east side via the Beartown TH, to Hunchback Pass, down Vallecito Creek, and up Sunlight Creek. I am wondering what the best (easiest) route is to the Beartown TH. Roach describes getting to this TH either from the Rio Grande Reservoir side, or from the Silverton and Stony Pass side. He mentions that the portion of the road on the Rio Grande Reservoir side that climbs Timber Hill, could be pretty challenging, especially if wet. I will be driving a Ford Expedition, which is not an off road type vehicle. but I have had it in some pretty tough places. I would like to know of any thoughts on which of these two TH access directions might be best for this vehicle. Also, any beta on crossing Vallecito Creek and going up Sunlight Creek would be awesome, too. Thanks much in advance.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What is the best way to get to the Beartown TH

Post by SkaredShtles »

Stony Pass approach is much more mellow - albeit longer
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

If it's your car, Stony Pass. If it's his car, Timber Hill. :)

On a more serious note, I will often go to Barnes & Noble and look at the books on Colorado jeep roads to get an idea on the difficulty of the road.

Good luck with your climb.
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

Stony Pass will be the easiest way.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Even a stoner can handle Stony Pass. Oops, that's another thread. SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
docjohn
Trip Reports (7)

Post by docjohn »

I just returned from the Hunchback Pass trailhead. This time, looking to save two hours, I went through Creede. You get to Rio Grande Reservoir and Lost Trail area fairly well, with a lot of dips, puddles towards the end. Then the fun.
I last did this road in the late 80's; its a little easier in fact now, but if you encounter opposing traffic, well you'll wish you did Stony. The road to and over Timber Hill is very narrow, limited pullouts, you need low gear and you may desire a rear locker if it is wet. There is about a quarter to half mile of loose steep rock. But all said and done, I got both ways in my 06 stock 4WD Tacoma.
The five miles into the trailhead after you meet the road down from Stony is slow, but doable. There are reports of killer marmot in the area, ready to eat your car--forewarned!
Bottom line--I'll spend the extra two hours to go to Silverton, then Stony over to Beartown (the trailhead is actually about a mile and a half above). I've driven it a half dozen times now, even in a torrential downpour; I'll just have to leave earlier
next time. :-D
...let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.
He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'
And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'

procol harum
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

My 02 Rav 4 made it from Creede over Labor Day in 2013. Timber Hill was the crux and the stream crossing of the upper Rio Grande was nothing to mention. Without a lot of clearance, the road is just slow going. We were returning at night and there was no way I was going to try Timber Hill in the dark. It didn't seem to take two more hours returning through Animas Forks and Silverton, but we were driving at 9 pm so traffic wasn't an issue.

I would have seen you up there originally as I had this same plan for Jagged for this weekend, but Benners and I will be there in a couple weeks instead, and I'm planning the longer drive through Silverton just to avoid hitting bottom on Timber Hill again.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
elhombre
14ers: 31 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elhombre »

Timber hill has 2 places where your Expedition will barely fit. I always like looking at the trees lining the road where you can see the bark has been gouged out by too long a wheel-based car. Another vote to get high on Stoney.
"You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization — including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain — without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large." Thomas Sowell
James Dziezynski
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Stony Pass for sure. Timber Hill is fun (and the river crossings at the start should be low) but it's a tough grind for a stock 4x4. My 4Runner got it but it was a push.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

elhombre wrote:Timber hill has 2 places where your Expedition will barely fit. I always like looking at the trees lining the road where you can see the bark has been gouged out by too long a wheel-based car. Another vote to get high on Stoney.
I wonder if these trees have been removed? We came down in July with a quad-cab F150 (6-1/2ft box) and didn't really come close to any trees along the trail. We did scrape the running boards a few times. Next time... running boards will be removed. :mrgreen:
Hoot
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

Has anyone driven to Beartown from Rio Grande Reservoir recently? I'm planning to drive my 4Runner that route next week and am wondering if I should be aware of any issues. I assume the water crossings aren't an issue this time of year.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Hoot wrote:Has anyone driven to Beartown from Rio Grande Reservoir recently? I'm planning to drive my 4Runner that route next week and am wondering if I should be aware of any issues. I assume the water crossings aren't an issue this time of year.
I got a Rav4 to the Beartown townsite from Silverton (west) a couple weeks ago. Doesn't help you with the Timber Hill approach, but the creek crossings and Beartown Road were fine. You should be able to get further in on the Beartown Road than I did, probably at least to the southern Colorado Trail junction if not all the way to Kite Lake.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake