Nolan's 14 Season (Many Attempts)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Nolan's 14 Season (Many Attempts)

Post by doggler »

andrewhamilton wrote:I am not sure if I am reading this right, but are Brandon and Gavin on pace to utterly smash the course record? I've got them coming in at under 50 hours if they keep up this pace. And Halladay is less than one peak behind. These competitors are pretty strong!
You're reading it right. 5:40 PM, a little over 36 hours in. Near the Avalanche Gulch TH. This stretch up Princeton is an evil time-suck.

A second night will be new territory for both of them, but I can assure you that Brandon and Gavin are hard as nails. This one is gonna be worth watching, kids.
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

fascinating, I wonder if someone could put all the players on one map? KML feeds or something. anyway, lots of tabs open. keep on tracking Jason, Halladay, the only guy I know out there. "Boom! on the summit" ha \:D/

Edit. I took a closer look at trackleader, all the spot people are there, no Inreach that I saw.
Last edited by dsunwall on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

looks like Jason started up Yale then turned around and is headed for the N. Cottonwood trailhead. another chicken sandwich or something. :-& Or maybe he decided to visit Ken Nolan who lives near there.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

After a long night doing the Princeton slog, the boys are back at it. 7:35AM, 50hrs35mins in and at the upper reaches of Baldwin Gulch. Barring anything unseen, it looks like Gavin and Brandon going to make it with plenty of time to spare!
LynnKH
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (4)

Post by LynnKH »

Shavano! It looks like they reached this 14th summit in just over 54 hours, which puts them finishing at the bottom within +/- a few minutes of the FTK. I can't imagine their elation or their exhaustion.

Congratulations, guys! It was an honor to see you passing through Winfield (two whole days ago!).
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Wow - that's quite an accomplishment. Nice work, guys!
usfgal
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by usfgal »

They are done! I don't know the official time. So awesome!!!
cordisimo
14ers: 31  4 
13ers: 46 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cordisimo »

I (by chance) was at the trailhead when they finished. They looked alarmingly well given what they had just done. Crazy.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Awesome job fellas! Pretty inspiring.

Now back to the drawing board, how do you get from grouse TH to Antero TH ](*,) :lol:
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Zambo
14ers: 58  5  16 
13ers: 160 10 9
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Zambo »

Dang....awesome work and congrats guys!
"Human beings climb at their peril. Some might think that by climbing a great mountain they have somehow conquered it, but we can be only visitors here."
donutsanddeadlifts
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by donutsanddeadlifts »

WOW!! Amazing, great job Gavin and Brandon, I hope you had lots of almond butter :-). BEASTS!! I did La Plata today and 1 was enough.
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Last night it looked like Brandon Worthington might be a little behind where he needed to be to get to the finish in time. But he maintained a nice solid pace and is really close. It looks like he has about 3:10 to get over to Shavano (from Tabeguache) and down to the finish. I'd guess :40 to Shavano, so 2:30 to descend Shavano down to the finish.

I have a feeling that being so close will give him the motivation he needs in order to make it in time! Good Luck Brandon!