Mount Shavano Camping 5/5

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mount Shavano Camping 5/5

Post by two lunches »

anyone ever been to the brewery in south park?
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

stephakett wrote:anyone ever been to the brewery in south park?
By the grocery store? I've been in there, though I can't seem to remember if I just went in to take a leak or to actually get a beer... I honestly think it was the former. They have a lot of board games tho; just a big open room with tables.
BrentRichter
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (1)

Post by BrentRichter »

stephakett wrote:anyone ever been to the brewery in south park?

Yes, if you're referring to South Park Brewing in Fairplay, the one by the True Value and gas station, in a retail center along Hwy 285. Beer did the job for me a year or so ago on a day that traffic was terrible and I'd had enough of sitting in it, but this place is not worthy of being a destination. Also, food was very average.
GordoByrn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GordoByrn »

Couple things at 9/28/2020

a - there are a couple campsites ~1/8th of a mile past the trailhead on the left. Just past a sign saying "overflow parking and dispersed camping" - short walk back to the vault toilet at the TH so pretty convenient. Tons of camping within 1/2 mile of the TH, in all directions.

b - if you want to camp on the standard route then there are two sites after you cross, then leave, the creek. A small one at ~10.9K and a larger one at ~11K. Both are on the left as you're heading up. I'll post a pic of the larger one and its GPS coordinates. There are a lot of dead trees around and signs of trees having fallen recently, not a great place to be in a wind storm.
Attachments
shavano_site.jpg
shavano_site.jpg (163.68 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
shavano_camp.jpg
shavano_camp.jpg (541.09 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
tipiman
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tipiman »

"House Rock Kitchen" in Buena Vista is good grinds...however keep in mind that my 5 star review of said eatery is from the prospective of a vegan hoo does not drink booze.
smmevan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smmevan »

GordoByrn wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:19 pm Couple things at 9/28/2020

a - there are a couple campsites ~1/8th of a mile past the trailhead on the left. Just past a sign saying "overflow parking and dispersed camping" - short walk back to the vault toilet at the TH so pretty convenient. Tons of camping within 1/2 mile of the TH, in all directions.

b - if you want to camp on the standard route then there are two sites after you cross, then leave, the creek. A small one at ~10.9K and a larger one at ~11K. Both are on the left as you're heading up. I'll post a pic of the larger one and its GPS coordinates. There are a lot of dead trees around and signs of trees having fallen recently, not a great place to be in a wind storm.
Hey Gordo,
My friends and I plan to backcountry hike in and camp to hit Shav/Tab peaks and curious what’s the farthest you can hike in from the trailhead to camp before hitting the treeline? Curious if that 11,000ft site is the last one? Also read on a post that it might be far from the last water source at that point? Thanks!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

The larger one is the last site. Good water source right by the trail.
smmevan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smmevan »

justiner wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:55 pm The larger one is the last site. Good water source right by the trail.
Thanks, @Justiner 👍🏼
okeefemb
14ers: 18 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by okeefemb »

GordoByrn wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:19 pm Couple things at 9/28/2020

There are also two very large campsites off the right hand side going up, right around the stream crossing. They aren't evident until you hop over a small berm. A bonus is not many ppl seem to notice they are there and they offer a nice quiet place to camp.
nickjensen43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickjensen43 »

@GordoByrn

The campsite at your GPS coordinates (N 38.608108 W106.212814) is approx how far from the trailhead? ~1-2 miles? Leaving ~7-8 miles to summit?
Also, this is on the East Slopes or Angel route?
GordoByrn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GordoByrn »

Hi Nick,

East Slopes route.

Here is my Strava from the day which should help with calculating distances.

https://strava.app.link/RITfIud42hb

About 12 miles, roundtrip, including Tabeguache as well.

G